“Fantastic day out”

Ranked #35 of 338 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Rated 5 stars by VisitScotland, providing programs of entertaining Science theatre, Planetarium, and around 300 hands-on interactive science exhibits over three floors, to introduce science to everyone. Interaction distinguishes GSC, very few exhibits in glass cases and many opportunities to participate in Science. Included workshops and shows are a highlight, ranging from shadow puppets for youngsters to computer coding, robotics and ethical hacking for adults. "BodyWorks" examines the science behind human health and well-being, "Powering the Future" the future challenges and solutions in our energy-hungry world, and the digital planetarium allows visitors to 'leave earth' and travel through the cosmos. Science Mall admission includes free workshops and shows, with add-on charges of £3.00 for access to the Planetarium. A shop and cafe are free to access. Schools and outreach programs extend the Centre's work into the community. The Centre is a registered charity with surpluses returned to the education mission. Car parking and public transport links or a 15 minute walk along the Clyde from the City centre. The adjacent IMAX cinema is now operated by Cineworld.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We went here with our 4 year ild daughter and we all had a great time. We started of in the Imax which was about Hubble. My husband and I really enjoyed it but mu daughter was a bit scared of the 3d film. There is 3 floors in the science mall all with interactive stations. Our daughter liked the first floor best. We also went to the planetarium show for under 7's and our daughter hasn't stopped talkibg about it since. We left when it closed at 5 and were rushing to fit everything in. We will be back again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,234)
All reviews
in 30 reviews
"few hours"
in 59 reviews

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I visited here with two children (6 and 8). £3 for the car park is, in my opinion, ridiculous. You're quite a captive audience and I don't think there is anywhere else to park nearby.
The price for adults is £9.95 and children/concessions is £7.95. We paid an additional £2.50 each (no reduction for children) for a planetarium show. I was tempted to leave the planetarium visit because of the cost, but I found it to be worth the cost. We used the "Glasgow's Leading Attractions" vouchers for £1 off each.

The exhibits themselves were almost all in working order and fun for adults and children. The girls enjoyed the first floor where they were able to run around and experiment with all sorts of magnets and moving things, as well as the play area. The third floor was fantastic for both the children and myself. There were so many interactive displays to learn about the body and the barcode card you can get makes it nice for everyone to have a record of their day. We also saw the "meet a minibeast", where a woman called Ashley taught a bit about bugs and let us hold a cockroach. She was excellent with the children and very knowledgeable.

We ate in the café, which was fine for me (baked potato with cheese) but not for the girls. The kids' meals in a box weren't good. A small sandwich, some jelly (both girls had a taste and said it tasted like an old woman's smelly socks), an apply (again, like an old woman's smelly socks apparently), and a carton of milk. I found the milk slightly odd - most kids' meals seem to have juice in elsewhere.

I'd highly recommend bringing your own food in, and allowing plenty of time to look around. The girls were sad to leave and we'd been there for 4 hours. I was exhausted, and needed a nap when I got home!
It's also chock-a-block full of children, so although I'd absolutely love it even if it was just me, some adults would get annoyed very quickly.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Went today with my big mate ( Big Al ). Firstly we were skinned £3 for the car park. Then we went in and the reception guy says '' is it 2 adults ? '' Now bear in mind we are 2 fully grown men. So that made us laugh straight away.

We walked round the entire place and left after 14 minutes. It was jam packed with school children and even they looked bored. It was boring, it was not exciting, the tower is out of action, the walls need painted and it was just so disappointing. What a waste of £23 ( £20 to get the 2 of us in and £3 for parking )

We then went to the Transport museum, paid £1 for parking and got free entry, and it was brilliant. So if your looking for a decent day go to the Transport museum, not the Science Centre.

6  Thank JOE A
Reviewed February 13, 2014

If you think that the Science Centre is just for kids, think again. I took three kids there yesterday, aged between 9 and 4, and was very impressed by both the science show and the Planetarium. The presenters in both kept the attention of the whole audience, children and adults.
The Science Show used experiments for 4 sciences and they were great fun for all, lots of participation. The Planetarium used an animal theme to introduce constellations to kids.
There are lots and lots of buttons and knobs for kids to push in the rest of the Centre, and if you have time and money, there is also the Imax.
Basic food is to be had, but there are places for picnics if you take your own.
Well worth a visit, and even better if you get a season ticket.
Parking £3.