“good location for SECC”

Ranked #61 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
“good location for SECC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

average tired hotel, staff were very good and helpful, but they were obviously understaffed so were rushing about doing two jobs, like reception and bar or reception and seating people for breakfast, I queued for 40 minutes for breakfast on Sunday. The hotel was busy but that's no excuse. 20 minute walk to anything, or a £5 taxi. Bathroom was small and tired. The bed was not good enough, the springs were very uncomfortable. It is a basic standard hotel and you get what you pay for I know, but this place could benefit from some corporate TLC. I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
3 Thank Wrighty-Bath
Manager_Campanile, Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Wrighty-Bath,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am disappointed to read your review and would like to apologise for the issues you faced during the stay. We aim to provide an enjoyable stay and it seems that was not your experience with us.

You may be interested to know we are currently in the process of redecorating our bathrooms, providing new shower trays, new tiling and a splash of paint. We are also awaiting delivery of new beds as we have recognised these needed changed.

I would urge you to stay with us again on your next visit to Glasgow and should you wish to, please contact me directly and I will personally take care of your reservation to ensure you experience our normal offering.

Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

5 ladies that have attended Strictly Come Dancing Tour for the last 4 years, and have stayed at your hotel every year. Yes the room was a for 1 nite,and £120 for a twin room, but if you weigh up the cost of taxi, the waiting for taxis after the show in our lovely scottish weather! this Hotel wins every time. Some reviewers have said over priced drinks,(i was in a hotel in Ayr last weekend and a glass of wine was £10.70!!! thats taking the p--s!!!) if you want cheap drink go to the off licence and sit in your room and drink!!! Last but not least Huge praise to staff, made feel welcome on every visit, must mention Stuart, Brian and Derek who could not do enough for us on this visit. Would recommend here for a stay when attending a show or event at Hydro/Secc

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Lynn64Scotland,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to hear you returned for the 4th year running when attending the Strictly Come Dancing show at the new hydro.

I am glad you received our normal warm welcome from the team and look forward to seeing you again next year, remember to contact us directly for the best rates going.

I will of course pass your comments onto the team, I’m sure they will be as delighted as I am.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We were greeted by a fairly rude receptionist who finally held onto our bags as we were early for check in.
The Rolling beds were ok but no radio function on the tv.
Looks a bit run down and is a basic hotel close to the centre of Glasgow, still a short taxi ride or a twenty minute walk along the Clyde.
Kelvingrove museum was fantastic.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ozgondwana
Dear Ozgondwana,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read you experienced problems at check in and can assure you this is not the way we normally greet our guests and I will ofcourse speak with the team.

We are currently in the progress of retuning all of our TV’s to ensure guests are able to get all channels.

I hope you will return in the near future.

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

This hotel was cheap for a saturday night with a concert next door, 5 mins walk to station gets you into the city centre.

rooms were clean and tidy, good choice of TV channels and free parking.

you can walk to Ibrox in about 20 minutes, if the bells bridge is open !!

check in was no problem, staff were helpfull and chearfull throughout. Restaurant on site, also chinese and italian and indian within easy walking distance.

Car park is a bit difficult to find if you dont know the area, you turn up the side of the Rotunda Restaurant , accross from the Hilton , dont follow the road round to the Hydro , you will have to turn back.

SEC and Hydro are right accross the street.

very quiet and peacefull the night we stayed. Lift to all floors FREEEEEEE WIIIIIFIIIIIII great addition.

1 Thank fozzie555
Dear Fozzie555,

I am delighted you seem to have had an enjoyable stay and made use of our facilities. Free Wifi ofcourse is an added bonus and we are proud to be able to offer our guests this free of charge.

Im sorry to hear you had some difficulty in finding our car park.

South Shields, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

stayed here for a week on the 20/1/14, I've stopped here before for one night and I thought it was ok but after stopping for the week I found the bar was expensive and that bbc news with the text was just plane annoying along with that music they keep playing on loop, I found that the staff were ok but the hotel was trying to project some sort of persona of being better than what it is, I found customers who wanted a drink in the bar just staring at the tv in silent with that crap music playing in the background reading the same txt over and over again.

the food was ok for the price (the chicken needs to be done a little more for my likening) and I found the rooms ok and quiet and I did have a good sleep.

as I stopped for 4 nights it was £224 which worked out to £56 a night but found out the first night was infact £89 and then £45 their after, if I had know the daily charge for the Monday I wouldn't had stopped it is most definitely not worth £89 for that hotel per night, more like £45 is about right.

they just taking advantage of the new secc thing that's been built their like all hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank kencrowley
Manager_Campanile, Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, July 29, 2016

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I were going to a concert @ the SSE Hydro and booked in to this hotel. Having done absolutely no research at all the only reason I booked it was it's a short walk to the SSE Hydro from the hotel. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a hotel that warm, comfortable, homely, clean & tidy, welcoming & friendly, the staff were great. The bedroom was exceptional, as were the bar & dining areas. The food was magnificent and the comfort of the bedroom brilliant. I suffer badly with a bad back and normally when we go away (mainly in Ireland) the hotels all seem to be supplied with a bog standard, cheap and very hard mattress which really kills my back. The mattress in this room was lovely and cosy and I had absolutely no problems getting up in the morning, and for me (at least) that means more than how fancy the place looks. But I have to say all in all this was a great hotel and I wouldn't hesitate in booking in again. I could find no fault at all.

Room Tip: I think any room would be a good room
1 Thank Trevor W

dundee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

hotel its self was situated in a good location for secc/hydro as we were attending topgear live this was great, but the room was very basic, with mold on windows, heating not working, toilet not flushing, also had one towel between two people, the bar is also very expensive and staff seemed to be interested in chatting up the front reception workers than helping with queries. we were then woken up by staff cleaning rooms right outside at 9am when checkout isn't until12!!! wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone there is plenty other hotels in the surround area with a great reputation....AVOID

Room Tip: Avoid room 403
4 Thank lisadundee

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels