“Brilliant!”
Review of Campanile Glasgow

Campanile Glasgow
Ranked #67 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed May 8, 2013

From the moment of check-in the staff were wonderful: very attentive and pleasant! Great location for SECC concert, and also just a short train journey at £1.50 off-peak adult ticket into central. Rooms were very tidy and spacious, bed was like sleeping on a cloud- so comfy!
Only small issue was dinner: food was a bit dry and bland (burgers), but it was quick and convenient if you need to rush off to a concert.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MissAmeliaWho
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear MissAmeliaWho

Thanks for your recent review and delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Glad you got a great nights sleep, always helps to start the day right after a restful night. Sorry to hear about your burger, these are our biggest seller as well, and can only think that perhaps this was overcooked if it was dry. Please do remember when you next come to stay with us that we do not want you to eat something that you are not enjoying, so please do mention it to the team who will certainly offer an alternative dish if something is not to your liking. Our food is not complicated but a combination of a good selection of favourite dishes cooked simply, It is so important to us that you enjoy what you eat and we will do whatever it takes to correct something as quick as we can for your enjoyment and pleasure.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon, and remember to contact us directly for the very best rates at the SECC.

Kind regards
M.Lawrence

Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We booked a room for one night to go to a show at the secc and apart from the fact it was close to the venue there was nothing else good about the place. Got charged premium rates for a very basic hotel. When we arrived we just dumbed our bags in a small basic room and changed and headed down for dinner. The dining room was empty apart from a table who had just asked for their bill and a table eating their main course, so we thought we would be served pretty quick, HOW WRONG WAS I!! We both ordered the same main course and almost 45 mins later there was still no sign of any food, even though 3 couples had came in for dinner 15mins after we ordered and had already been served their food. We paid for drinks and walked out as we would have missed out show at secc. On return to the hotel that night, we tried to sleep in the most uncomfortable bed in the world as u could hear and feel Every spring in the bed when u moved. The floor would have been more comfortable. The room temperature was freezing and part of our ceiling was Falling down. I braved the shower in the morning and wish I hadn't bothered. The sink and the shower tray had big cracks in them. The shower fitting was hanging off the wall and the hose was taped up with bright green tape to obviously try and keep it together but they shouldn't have bothered coz when u turned the shower on there was more holes in the shower hose than the actual shower head. Breakfast was average to say the least "hot cooked breakfast" was cold and was certainly not worth an extra £7 each. Iv never been so glad to get home. I will NEVER be back in this hotel and I would advise everyone else to stay well clear of it. You would get better rates, rooms and service at the euro hostel in the centre. It was a total waste of money!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank the2allys
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear the2allys

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, we do appreciate your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay and apologise for any inconvenience you experienced. However I do feel it very important for all those that read this informative platform to hear the complete story and should like to fill in the blanks.

The rate you paid was 55.00 on a room only basis which I feel represents great value when other hotels in the same area were charging upwards of 80.00, but do appreciate that everyone has a budget and expectations vary from each and every individual. We do want everyone to know that we take all comments, both good and otherwise very seriously and will always be honest should things go wrong. In your case we were in the wrong in that we encountered an operational issue in the kitchen that delayed your meals for which I am so sorry. You should have been informed of this delay and kept updated with what was happening, which I gathered did not happen in this instance and can not apologise enough for this. Generally we have an efficient restaurant service that works brilliantly when catering for those attending a show, we have the experience and have done so without fault over many years, however we did let you down on this occasion and apologise for this inconvenience and short fall on our part. Rest assured I will take the necessary action with the team in order to prevent this from happening in the future.

I am sorry to hear that you found the bed uncomfortable and appreciate that everyone has varying degrees of tolerances to firmness, and would have happily have rectified this had you informed us at the time. We do encourage all our guests to contact us anytime should they encounter any issues during their stay, as it matters to us to get things right if things go wrong for whatever reason. I checked the heating in the room and this is working perfectly and deduce that you could not have switched this on, which meant the room was not as warm as it could have been. The heating is key activated and therefore would only come on if physically switch on and the door key card is inserted. We do have a welcome letter detailing this, together with other information appertaining to the services and facilities that we have on offer, and an invitation to contact us anytime should any guest require further information or clarification, we would be only too happy to assist. I have personally double checked your room and I see nothing resembling a ceiling falling down. Our hotel has recently undergone a refurbishment programme and recently repainted, this involved preparation, painting, new carpets and new shower trays which is still ongoing. I do apologise that your shower had a minor crack (2inches) this has happened over time and as mentioned being replaced as I write. The room that was allocated to you, we have discovered had been used the night before and suffered some light damage due to heavy handling and this resulted in a broken shower hose. This was temporarily fixed as we did not have any extra hoses but replaced within 48 hours.

Upon check out, as part of our normal procedure, when asked how your stay was, you quite rightly mentioned the points you raised, as we were not aware until that point that you endured these irritations with the room and service. The receptionist apologised and offered complimentary breakfast as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience you encountered. During this time we did not receive any negative comments with regards to our breakfast being cold, but apologise if you found this so. I appreciate that customers choose the right to air their comments/views the best way they feel comfortable, but do wished you had brought your dissatisfaction to our attention at the time, we are then able to do our very best to put right what has gone wrong. Whilst we try extremely hard to get things right each and every time, sometimes things go against us for whatever reason, but we will always try our best to fix matters once we know about them, as it is very important to us to make each guest happy, comfortable and receive value for money.

I realise that there were a number of issues that you encountered during this brief stay with us, some of these were our fault for which i am sorry, and others were not and would encourage you to return to us and give us another try, in order to prove to you that this is not indicative of our normal operation. As you will read through this and other review platforms what you experienced is not the norm. I would love you to come back, please contact me directly and i will ensure you have a seamless stay.

Kind regards
M.Lawrence

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed on the 4th may to go to secc, ive stayed in most of the better named hotels in glasgow but this is almost as good at a fraction of the cost, my only complaint is the food was pretty poor we went for dinner and was at best average but 2 main courses for under £15 its hard to moan i believe you get what you pay for, i would definately stay here again and just eat out

• Stayed: May 2013
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Gordonhamilton270

Thank you for the review. Delighted to hear that you found value for money staying with us, that is what we are about. Sorry to hear that our food offering was not to your liking. Our dishes are simple, wholesome food and whilst we do not have a huge menu, we do offer a good selection. Our food & beverage team are always on hand to ensure that any food that is ordered is to the customers liking, and will always take remedial action should something not be to the guests liking. I do wished you had brought your dissatisfaction to the attention of the team on the day, they most certainly would have arranged an alternative for your consumption.

I am glad to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future, and the whole team and I look forward to taking care of you then.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Booked the Campanile for 2 nights whilst we visited family & friends in Glasgow so I was looking for something cheap.

This hotel is ideal for a quick stopover, the room was clean, the staff were very friendly & helpful and the location was ideal with it being a £4 taxi ride from Buchanan St in the heart of the city.

It will be an amazing location once the new arena has opened next door! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Brydo82

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments after your recent stay with us. Your positive comments are much appreciated, and glad to be of assistance.

Please remember to contact us directly when you are next visiting family and friends in Glasgow, and we will ensure that you get the best rates going. As the better weather is drawing in and the lighter evenings, a stroll into Glasgow along the Clyde river only takes 15-20 minutes along a flat footpath and beats taking the taxi, as you see so much more of our vibrant city. Something to remember next time you stay with us.

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I Stayed here with my friends for a concert,its in an ideal location!easy to find and the SECC is straight across the road. The rooms are clean,very friendly staff and free parking.ive also booked to stay again next week :)

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Ianacampbell12

Great to hear from you, and thanks for the review. We are looking forward to your return this week and will look out for you.

Please do let us know if there is anything we can do for you while you are staying with us?

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Ages ago I booked two twin rooms for a friend and I at the Campanile at the SSEC. A couple of days ago, I checked the receipt e-mail and thought - £59.00? That can't possibly be for TWO twin rooms? But do you know what, it was! Two clean rooms with nice ensuite facilities, tea-making tray, hair dryer, telly and FREE wifi.

The Reception staff were pleasant and interested in us and our visit to Glasgow.

My only gripe is that I got a bit lost trying to find my way into the car park - some better signage would be good. But other than that - this is a perfect location if you are looking for a budget hotel. And for a budget hotel, it had a lot more going for it than I expected. I'll be staying there again.

Room Tip: We were on ground floor, overlooking car park - maybe upper floors quieter. That said, it wasn'...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear AlisonCross

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you were suitable satisfied with the price you paid for the two room. You obviously picked up a bargain on this occasion! We often run promotional rates throughout the year to encourage customers to stay with us. glad to hear that you were pleased with what we had to offer, and that you will return soon.

Please also remember to feel free to contact us directly and we will ensure you get the best rates going.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here last weekend when we were going to a show at SECC. It is perfect for there - a stones throw away. I had also booked a table at the Rotunda restaurant which was just across the car park - pleasant surprise since everything was so close by! the room was a wee bit cramped but the view from the window was fantastic. We were overlooking the River Clyde with a view of the famous Finnieston Crane, the STV and BBC headquarters and the path alongside the river with joggers galore! After the show we spent a few hours in the hotel bar which had a great atmosphere and the staff were very friendly and helpful. didn't stay for breakfast since there are so many nice places in Glasgow to eat but it looked OK and not too expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Clyde and car park - fantastic views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear GaelC

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Glad to hear that you are fast becoming a regular with Campanile by using both hotels. You are absolutely right in the size of our rooms compared to our sister hotel at Braehead, but each hotel has uniqueness and perfectly situated for any event taking place at either the SECC or Braehead Arena.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future, and please feel free to contact us in advance and we will ensure you are allocated 'a room with a view'.