“Incompetent Staff”
Review of Campanile Glasgow

Campanile Glasgow
Ranked #66 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel one saturday to see Jimmy Carr. During check in I was told my visa debit would be charged £5 then on check out I would pay the extra amount. 2 days later I notice on my bank account that I have been charged £69 for the room (which was the right amount) but also £64 missing from the account. Called the bank and they comfirmed it was the hotel holding the money (which they dont tell you about on check in). Called the hotel and they denied all knowledge of this and claimed it was the banks fault. I got clarifed with the bank that it was definatley the hotel that was holding the money and just charged the full amount on check out instead of charging £5 then the extra which they said they had and it would eventually go back into my account since they hadnt charged it they were just holding it (which if they were doing their job properly should have released it). 9 days later the money finally went back into my bank and I have written proof from the bank it was the hotel as I work in the bank myself plus on my recepit from the hotel it only shows 1 payment on it, if i got charged £5 then £64 it would have shown 2 payments. My point is I called the hotel to sort this out and they denied all knowledge and bare faced lied to me. I know people make mistakes but it could have been sorted out if they actually looked into it properly when I called the first time and the money would have went back into my account within 48hrs, I almost had no money in the bank and without my internet banking I would have been getting charged for money I was withdrawing which I actually didnt have because they were holding the money! Would never stay at this hotel again and before this I probably wouldnt have anyway as the room was stinking!. Wont ever be recommending it either. If you are unfortunate enough to stay at this hotel I suggest you pay by cash and dont let them near your bank card!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank m_k_c_w
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear m_k_c_w

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us and sorry for the delay in getting back to you, as we needed to double check your comments as they came as a puzzle to us, as we have done nothing out of the ordinary and thought this warranted further investigation with the banks involved, as it would not be the first time that the banks have not explained things fully when things go wrong.

From what I can see we have followed our procedures correctly for which we have been doing for years without glitch. When you first checked in you were informed, as all guests are, that your credit card would be pre authorised and not charged at that point for £5.00, and that upon check out you could either settle with the same card that was given at checkin or use an alternative method of payment to settle your account. The £5.00 that was pre authorised goes into a holding account from your bank and is generally cleared within 5 days, this has nothing to do with us whatsoever and is merely a security measure we take to ensure funds are available to clear accounts for services used, most hotels operate this way. I need to reiterate that in this instance we did not hold any money other than the £5.00 that you initially authorised us to at check in. You were charged correctly for your stay, the issue is around the pre authorisation of funds, of which you need to give us authorisation for. Furthermore for us to pre authorise a higher amount you would have had to given us permission to do so which you did not, and in this case this remains at £5.00 as you have already mentioned.

Whilst I appreciate that this matter may have been frustrating and inconvenient to you and would certainly apologise for any of this that we have caused, my staff have followed a tried and tested procedure, we have not and would not knowingly take funds from someones account without this being first discussed from the outset, and feel that your comments referring to incompetent staff is not justified. I should like to reassure anyone reading this review that we continue to take credit cards on a daily basis without any issues whatsoever, and please do not be deterred from using these with us.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Excuse the pun but this was an experience of the most convenient camping at the Campanile Hotel - SECC. Except is was no mere tent camping but an excellent, no fuss, straightfoward, high quality hotel accommodation. We were visiting Glasgow to enjoy a theatrical spectacular - For the Love of Mrs Brown! It was being held in the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC) which is less than five minutes walk from the hotel. We wanted a place of comfort and reasable cost for a two night stay before returning north to near Aberdeen. Not only were we not disappointed, but absolutely delighted at the excellent accommodation and service. The hotel is well appointed and the room, if compact, had all the facilities required. The hotel is geared up for influx of visitors intent on theatre going or other tourist activities. Staff advised us when to book in for meals at a convenient time to meet our own social activities. Car parking was complimentary and there was plenty of space. We felt very secure and comfortable for the whole visit. Staff were typically friendly and helpful. Guillaume a charming French restaurant manager looked after our every need as did all his staff. Book this hotel and enjoy the variety of nearby sites that Glasgow offers.

Room Tip: Not a problem. Most would be okay.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Campanile, Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Campanile Glasgow.

Best Regards

James McDaid
Operations Manager

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Great location, the staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and comfortable, we had a good night sleep. Breakfast was a bit expensive, the fry up was a bit cold and quality of sausages was not good. The range of breakfast was good and the staff on duty worked hard through a very busy breakfast, maintaining a friendly approach.
Thanks for helping to make our stay an enjoyable one

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Kim375

Thank you for your recent feedback, and glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry to hear that you thought our breakfast is a little on the expensive side. We charge £8.75 for all you can eat full Scottish breakfast served buffet style, and when you consider this includes all the hot items and continental items including croissants, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, cold meats and cheeses with unlimited toast/bread and juice, I think our breakfast represents good value, especially when those around us are charging twice as much, our continental is just £6.00! Thanks for letting me know about the sausages, I will certainly raise this with our chef in order for him to investigate further, although we have not received any further negative comments relating to these.

Glad to be of service to you and look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed in Campanile for a two day stay in Glasgow , we payed £80 for two nights bed and breakfast so for this price we don't feel quite as bad as we could have . . . .
The hotel is on the whole what you pay for , cheap accommodation in a vibrant city so if your looking for a chilled out relaxing weekend it's best avoided . . .
We had a boozy party in the next room whom at 0200 decided to entertain the hotel guests with various party songs this coupled with a bed with burst springs meant for an exhausting few days . . .
On the plus side the location is fantastic for The SECC , The Quey Cinema , The Science Centre, The Riverside museum and of course the City Centre . . .
I would not stay again but it would suit anyone attending a gig in SECC looking to party

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear AmandaFortwilliam

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. You are absolutely right with regards to our location, situated within walking distance to many local attractions. Sorry to hear that you were disturbed by other hotel guests that had attended a concert and were in high spirits upon their return. We did address this once it was brought to our attention and thankfully it did not continue for very long. I can assure you that this is not what happens after every concert as your review may suggest. We recognise that our location is perfectly placed and priced for those attending the many concerts and conferences that take place at the SECC and that will take place at the Hydro, but we do control what happens within the hotel and are completely aware that we have a cross selection of guests staying with us for leisure/pleasure/business and all require a restful nights sleep. Wherever necessary during the busy concert nights, depending what concerts are playing, we ensure we have extra staff working during the night in order to patrol the hotel and corridors in order to police noise levels and activities. Apologies for the springy mattress and wished you had raised this as a concern with us as we would have either changed this, as we have a number of spare mattresses that we use for customers that find mattresses are either to soft or firm, or we would have re allocated a different room.

I should like to encourage you to return again to stay with us and to prove to you that this incident is indeed not indicative of what normally happens. Please do contact me directly and I would be delighted to make the necessary reservation and ensure you have a seamless stay.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We recently stayed in the Campanile hotel as we had an event at the SECC. This was our second stay here. I chose it the hotel this year due to its location. It's literally 5 min walk to SECC which is fantastic. Check in easy, met with a very pleasant receptionist. Our room was on 2nd floor, we paid for a double room. Very spacious with en suite bathroom. I noticed a large crack on the shower tray but hey ho, I'm not bothered about that.shower great, and it's warm which is want I want! Plenty of towels to use and room was immaculate. Bed was nice and comfortable. The temperature of the room was fine, good considering in an unseasonably cold snap. Free wifi which is great. Had a couple of drinks at the hotel which weren't overly expensive. I haven't eaten there so can't comment on the food. Good vending facilities as well. Check out again was easy with another pleasant receptionist. I definitely would return again if the price was right. I did pay slightly more than last year but possibly because it was Easter weekend but as there are other hotels nearby, I would always shop around and if I could get elsewhere cheaper, I would go elsewhere, so please keep your prices reasonable as its a great wee hotel! ;-)

Stayed: March 2013

Dear MrsPScott

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, and glad to hear that you are becoming a regular. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and sorry about the crack on the shower tray. All our shower trays are currently being replaced after many years of excessive use, and we should have all these completed shortly so the next time you stay with us you should notice the difference.

We will certainly remain competitive in our pricing structure, we do realise that there is a lot of competition out there, and customers have a great deal of choice, therefore it is crucial that we offer the best that we possibly can in order to keep our guests happy and returning, we will always be the best value for money at the SECC, and I would encourage you to contact us directly for the best offers going.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Having had a mixed experience last year i found my stay this time much improved. The room was quiet, clean and had all the basics you would need. The bed is very comfortable. The staff were polite and attentive and the food for breakfast and evening meals were good value and good quality. The provisions for breakfast could be a bit better as they seemed to run out of eggs and break quickly. For the price i consider it good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear albiejnr

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, and glad to hear that you have noticed improvements in our service. Like most businesses we recognise that we have to evolve and stay ahead with continual training and product innovation. I believe the comments you made previously highlighted a certain member of our team that did not quite provide the service that she should have. We do provide ongoing customer service delivery training to all our team, with extra coaching and support in place to assist those that are not developing as quickly as others, sometimes new staff members that join us realise that they cannot reach the standards that we expect and choose to move on, which has happened in this case and is probably why you have noticed a difference. We do try hard to ensure that we recruit the right staff that have the right attitude towards hospitality and the service industry, this is our job, and happy to say that we do get it right, most of the time!

Thanks again for your comments and look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here recently for three nights whilst working at the SECC for which the location is excellent. The hotel is literally a two minute walk away.

I cannot comment on the bar or restaurant as I chose to go more into the centre of Glasgow for meals etc. The room though was very clean and of an up to date standard. The bed was very comfortable and I had no problems sleeping, no external noise helped.

The check in took about 20 minutes which was a small gripe. The hotel is favourable with French visitors and with only one person on reception it took some time to process a queue of only two in front of myself.

I would recommend the hotel for a quick business trip or event at the SECC. For sightseeing and central Glasgow I would look elsewhere though as the hotel is about a mile outside.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Fudders

Thanks for taking the time to feedback on your last stay with us. Glad to hear that everything went well with your stay, apart from the check-in. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention as we generally have no issues with this and often check in large numbers of guests, efficiently and professionally pointing out all the relevant features of our hotel to those that are staying with us for the first time. Not only this but we also have large groups that stay with us that are checked in speedily, so your comments do come as a surprise. We do have two staff members that work between reception and other areas of the operation, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps the previous guests required more attention and the other staff member was called away to attend in another area of the hotel. Apologises for any inconvenience this may have caused.

With regards to our location, we are ideally situated right next door to the SECC and the Indoor Arena, the Hydro and therefore perfect for those wishing to attending the many conferences and concerts that Glasgow hosts throughout the year, and just a short stroll away from the city center. We are finding that more and more guests are returning to us for the reason that we are an acceptable distance from the city centre and reap all the benefits of free car parking and quiet situation as we do not get the late night revellers that can frequent the city centre.

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the Glasgow area.