“Customer Service”

Ranked #21 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
San Jose, California
“Customer Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband & I stayed for 2 weeks at the Holiday Inn in Glasgow at West Nile Street. When we arrived the receptionist said ' Oh you are here for 2 weeks". The room we were given had no place to place our clothes, and only room for 4 hangers to hang our clothes. Only 2 small drawers at one side of the bed was available. I called down and asked for another room. A young lady called back later and said " Well you are all paid up, so you need to take this up with Expedia". I replied, so are you saying since I paid in advance, you don't care about helping us? She confirmed we need to take it up with Expedia.

Later I went to the front desk and talked to Daniel and told him I was not happy with the room , or the comments from the young lady. He apologized and asked if we could wait 2 days and he would give us another room. The first room was fine for an overnight stay but not for an extended stay. Daniel was very helpful to us throughout our stay. I think customer service training would help some of the staff as telling me to take my issue up with Expedia was not the right answer. The cleaning staff, and the dining staff were very pleasant to us. I am from Scotland initially but have lived in the USA for 38 years. My point in writing this review mainly is to not have travelers have an unpleasant experience after traveling so far and want them to come away with a positive impression of the people of Glasgow.

Overall the experience was a good one and I learned a lesson that to be sure that I ask the travel agency to ensure the room is sufficient. The other issue is that when the Hotel is booking a room it would be obvious that someone staying for 2 weeks would need sufficient places to hang and place their clothes.

Hope this helps,

Margaret Lockhart
mlockhart1695@yahoo.com
408-251-1702

Room Tip: Just be clear up front that you expect adequate drawer and closet space if you are staying for an ex...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maggie L
Alan T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Margaret,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was sorry to hear of the initial mix up with your bedroom booking. We have taken up training with the front desk agent. The booking was made for a standard double room and I was happy to read that Daniel got you into one of our family rooms that accommodated you for your 2 weeks stay.

Apart from your initial mix up your experience reads to be a positive one.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back if you and your husband are ever returning to Glasgow.

Alan Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
MaccaBham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay at this hotel. From the moment we stepped into the hotel we felt comfortable. The reception staff are polite and very efficient. The rooms are spotless and were kept that way throughout our stay. The restaraunt has friendly staff and the food is of very good qulaity. All of the staff througout this hotel are friendly and helpful.We had a problem with our WIFI and reception sent a charming young man to resolve the problem, The location of the hotel is perfect, whether its shopping, theatres or sighting everything is on hand. We are booked to go back again in 4 weeks time and ot can't come quick enough, Thanks to all of the staff at Holiday Inn Threatreland for making our stay so enjoyable.and see again soon.

Room Tip: The standard double rooms are very smart and so well looked after everything looks new. The executiv...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alan T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Theatreland Glasgow. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff polite and friendly.

We are delighted that you have already booked to come back and we look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow.

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in November 2012 and I had a positive experience. Therefore, I thought that I would return with my wife for a night whilst visiting Glasgow for a weekend away.

Unfortunately, from our arrival at the hotel to our check out I was disappointed. This was mainly down to the very poor service we received from all of the four different reception staff I spoke with. Allow me to elaborate. I am a gold elite priority club member and would normally receive a welcome letter upon check in at an IHG hotel. At this particular hotel you normally receive a letter detailing discounted upgrade rates (£15 being the lowest priced upgrade) and you can exchange the letter at the bar for a drink. So, upon check in there was no welcome letter. We were, however, offered a room upgrade for £20. We thought about it and asked what the difference in the rooms was. The response: "It's a nicer room." After several questions with regards to what was actually nicer about it and no response other than "it's a nicer room" we declined the upgrade. And yes, the price quoted was £5 more than it should have been!

Anyway, the receptionist at this point must have been working on commission as he was very quick to sell us breakfast for the following morning. We parted with £9 per person and were looking forward to it - more of that later! We went to our room and were reasonably happy with it. Very small bed and bathroom but on the whole it was ok. Window wasn't very well sealed so a fair bit of noise from the street and quite cold on that side of room. Good heating system though so no real issue.

Later in the day I decided to ask reception why I didn't receive a welcome letter. A different repetionist told me she didn't know why I didn't get the letter - maybe it got lost apparently! She printed me another. However, the colour printer wasn't working so she had to do a black and white copy which she told me was not valid at the bar for a complimentary drink - "ask the bar to phone me and I'll tell them it's ok" she said. I asked if she could just phone them while I walked along to the bar; "no" was the response. Not very helpful at all!

The next morning - breakfast. In a word - terrible! Everything that we had was cold - it had obviously been sitting out for a long time. I picked up a plate from the pile which was dirty. It had tomato sauce from the beans all along one side. I set it to the side and picked up another. While I was in the queue a waitress came along, picked up the plate, looked at it and put it back on the pile! Unbelievable! I was quite disgusted.

Check out was the final joke of our brief, and final, stay at this hotel. I asked the receptionist to stamp our car parking ticket for the Buchanan Galleries car park. She did so but the stamp read day rate 6am-8pm. I asked if this was the correct stamp as we had parked overnight - yes she said to which her colleague immediately disagreed and produced the correct stamp - lucky I asked. Needless to say, no apology, no goodbye, nothing. Receptionists should not be dfealing with the public unless they have been properly trained.

This is by far the longest review I think I've ever written. Mainly because I was SO disappointed with our stay at this hotel. Shame on you Holiday Inn and shame on the general manager for allowing staff to get away with service like this. There are plenty of hotel options in Glasgow and following this visit I would urge anyone to look elsewhere. We will not be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alan T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Sir,

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Holiday Inn Glasgow Theatreland.

An innocent mistake was made by our reception team by not having a welcome letter ready for you at check in. As you know as soon as this was pointed out a letter was given to you immediately. Why this administrative error has caused you so much upset I don’t know but the reception team at the hotel are genuinely disappointed with your feedback as they take a great deal of pride in delivering great customer service. This error has also appeared to have resulted in you expressing an unfair opinion of other aspects of the hotel. For anybody reading reviews about this hotel they will know that great customer service is at the heart of what we do.

Once again I am sorry you have said that you won’t return to the hotel but I do hope you have a change of heart as we would love to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards

west mids
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Good- friendly staff, clean, very comfortable bed, shower was nice and powerful. Bathroom had nice new fittings
Bad - traffic noise, i could hear buses so loudly I could tell when they changed gears, actually went to check window had not been left open as noise from outside was so bad, small room & bathroom and the cheapest toilet roll imaginable, really!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Theatreland Glasgow. It was great to read that you found the room clean and comfortable.

I was sorry to read that you found the room excessively noisy. All our windows are double glazed and should cut out most of the traffic noise. We do have rooms at the back of the hotel which may have been better suited to your needs. Should you ever be staying again, please just let us know and we will be happy to allocate you a room towards the back of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I missed my connection to Ardrossan and found myself in Glasgow unexpectedly for the night and came across the Holiday Inn. The receptionist Alex from France was so welcoming and helpful. I had a lovely room, 323, and it was spotless, I could not find a speck of dust. The housekeeping staff should be commended, very impressive. I didn't think it could get any better but boy was I wrong, the bed was out of this world with top class linen. Next day I couldn't get out of it so caught a later train. I only wish I had tried the breakfast. Clearly this establishment is very well run and I will definitely be back for more!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Theatreland Glasgow. It was great to read that you found the service excellent and thee rooms spotless. I will pass on your comments to Alex, I know he strives for service excellence so he will be delighted to be mentioned.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

If going to a concert at the concert hall the location is ideal. Unfortunately we did not book a meal in advance and the restaurant was unable to accomodate us. We were impressed by how friendly and helpful the staff were and breakfast was nice. Great value for money. We would stay there again. Next time we might even upgrade

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Alan T, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Theatreland Glasgow. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotels central location favourable.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had a hotel voucher for use at the Holiday Inn Glasgow Theatreland. The hotel took the voucher at the time and asked for my credit card to be swiped in case of extra's. No problem. After I had checked out of the hotel instead of contacting me regarding a problem with the hotel voucher they proceeded to charge my credit card the full (undiscounted) rate for the nights accomodation. I feel they processed this amount on my credit card with no authorisation from me. I telephoned to discuss when I saw the credit card statement but they refused to discuss. I will not stay at Holiday Inn Glasgow again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Madam,

Thank you for leaving a review.

Unfortunately I don’t have any record of this issue. If you would like to contact me at the hotel I would be more than happy to look into this matter for you. It is not our policy to charge customers credit cards without their permission.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind Regards