“Great location but tired hotel”

Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
Ranked #21 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
london
“Great location but tired hotel”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in this hotel in between Xmas and New Year. The location of the hotel was excellent, really central but not right in the middle of the city. The receptionist was friendly and the entrance to the hotel was lovely (though we did walk right past it and towards the HI Express which is right next door- very confusing!) but the room itself was pretty disappointing. It was quite small which meant even moving to the other side of the bed was tricky, the decor was aged and depressing and of very dark wood which made the room look even smaller. The room was also quite cold and draughty- the window was single glazed which meant that the wind whistled into the room. It was also very very noisy, which is clearly always going to be the case in a hotel near the main road, but surely another reason to invest in decent glazing? The bathroom was really small but spotless and the breakfast was nice but very expensive. All in all, this wasn't a terrible experience and you could say we got what we paid for, but investing a bit in upgrading some of the basics like double glazing and bright decor would make this a much better option for many.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT on the main road if you want a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Alan T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Julie,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our central location and found the receptionist friendly.

Though I was disappointed to read that you didn’t like the room you stayed in. All our rooms are double glazed so I was surprised to read that you thought it was single glazed. The window might not have been closed properly which is the only reason that it would be draughty, if you had reported your concerns to our staff would have more than happy to make sure everything was to your satisfaction.

Breakfast is competitively priced in line with other city centre hotels. You can either include it in your room rate or pre-book it at check in for an extra £9 per person.

If you are ever returning to the hotel, please contact myself direct so I can personally ensure that you have a fantastic visit.

Alan Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Red Cliffs, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights on vacation to see family. Not only was Glasgow cold but the reception at Hotel was also. The atmosphere in the Hotel was reflected by the staff who mostly seemed less than enthusiastic about being there. The exception was the two Managers who were more than helpful and tried to organise a car hire for the day for us - other staff didn't seem happy at all. Breakfast was very limited for Gluten Intolerant people. Room was clean but a bit dated overlooking West Nile Street - a bit noisy at night. Good location close to Bus Terminal and Central Glasgow shopping and Theatre.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judith C
Dear Judith,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I was disappointed to read you found the staff less than enthusiastic, if you have a look at previous reviews this is one of our strengths.

We have had a problem with heating on the ground floor but I’m delighted to inform you that this is now fixed and is nice and warm in our public areas.

We do have rooms at the back of the hotel that may have better suited your needs. I hope this hasn’t put you off returning to the hotel and would hope to welcome you back in the future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Have stayed here many times over years and am always satisfied. HOWEVER requested a copy of bill 3 times and still waiting. Also made phone call to IT dept du to a mobile problem, hotel room rate cost less than phone call! Rooms are ok but are now getting a little tired, needs to b priced up to bring hotel back to one of my favourites, reception staff are always polite as are the restaurant team

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Alan T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, December 17, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I am sorry that you have been having a problem getting a copy of your invoice. If you email me direct I will ensure that it is sent back to you. My email address is alantaylor@higlasgow.com.

Our phone charges are stated on the handset and are charged per unit.

I was happy to read that you find the staff are always polite.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is a typical Holiday Inn, a nice reception then as soon as you step out of the lift you transcend into a time gone by with woodchip walls and fading decor. The room itself was clean and tidy same as any other HI. However the traffic noise outside was terrible and add to that the constant humming of the hotels air conditioning units meant sleep was non existant. This was made worse by the inconsiderate guest in the next room coming in and turning the TV on at 2am. Breakfast was plentiful if not a little dry but the fruit was fresh and service attentive. Location is great for the city centre attractions and there is a car park directly opposite but don't expect to get much rest. Next time I come here I will stay in the HI Express next door as its a modern building and I would expect that to be quiter.

• Stayed December 2012
Alan T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was disappointed to read that you had a poor nights sleep. We do have rooms facing the back of the hotel that may have been better suited to your needs. Due to our central location I am afraid we cannot escape all the traffic noise. Our air conditioning can be turned off at the control beside the light switch.

I hope that this would not put you off returning in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The hotel is in a very good location. The staff were very helpful and we upgraded our room to a suit and it was just lovely with a good view of the street.I have stayed in this Hotel before and will stay there again. The Resturant at the hotel has the most wonderful food but one of the waiters was a bit rood went I asked him of a pen to sign the bill

Room Tip: Room 305 if lovely and has a good view of the street
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lorraine,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoy returning to the hotel. Room 305 is one of our feature rooms that has a bay window overlooking West Nile Street, I was delighted to read that you found it lovely.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were really pleased with the location of the hotel and our room on the 3rd floor was clean tidy with a spacious wetroom (we were offered an upgrade - for £15 - to a room with bath but declined). You walk out the front of the hotel and immediately find yourself in the centre of the city. Unfortunately for us it is party night season and the people next door decided to continue the party in their room, from 1.30am to 4.30am. I called reception twice and someone came up and told them to shut up but shortly afterwards they started again. It wasn't the best way to spend a night in Glasgow but it wouldn't stop me from staying here again.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was sorry to read that you were disturbed during the night. This is the season of party nights but this shouldn't be an excuse for the disturbance that you received. Unfortunately the behavior of other guests is out of our control. Although if complaint is raised to our attention the duty manager will speak with the guests to bring the noise levels to an acceptable level.

I am glad that this has not stopped you from choosing us in the future and look forward welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last night on business and got upgraded to the penthouse! Spotless, huge and comfy room. Only downside the room was freezing as the air con kept creeping back on, no matter how many times I got up to switch it off. Also no milk available in the room to put in the coffee. Wi-Fi connection was quite bad and I am glad I was not charged for it. Beware though this is usually a chargable service.

But other than these slightly annoying points, the hotel was great, well equipped and the restaurant was absolutely worth it! The food was really tasty, well presented and a far cry from other Holiday Inn restaurants in the city!
Would strongly reccomend the whole experience, whether for business or pleasure! I don't really know Glasgow, but the location is great and buzzing!

The staff is great too and made me feel really welcome, after a long day full of meetings. Thank you

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I have passed on your comments to our maintenance team who will check all the ac units in our penthouse suites. Fresh milk is available in the mini bar.

We have recently invested in our WIFI capabilities and have had great feedback with the speed and ease to use. We have checked the coverage on our penthouse level which shows full signal strength. We will continue to monitor the WIFI coverage.

I was delighted that you rated us 5 stars and you really enjoyed your stay, i will certainly share your review with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.