“Lovely hotel in superb location - only negative was traffic noise during the night.”

Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
Ranked #24 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have just returned from a one night stay in this hotel. It was chosen because of ideal location for Royal Concert Hall and shops. The bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean and had all the facilities a visitor would need. Excellent breakfast in very nice restaurant, with quick service when ordering something from the menu rather than the buffet. Every member of staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The only negative aspect was that the bedrooms on the front and side of the hotel are next to the main roads through the city centre, and traffic noise was a major problem through the night, even though I didn't go to bed until after midnight. I would definitely stay here again but would ask for a quiet room. I could not have endured more than one night in room 137 because of the traffic noise. My friends were in rooms at the back of the hotel and didn't hear a thing!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room because traffic noise is a major problem.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GoolieEastYorkshire
DanielSBell, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your time here and found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful.

I have instructed our maintenance manager to check the window seal of 137 as this should block out most of the traffic noise. We would certainly be able to reserve you a back facing room should you be staying again.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Check in was quick and easy and the rooms requested at the rear of the hotel on the telephone the day before were granted. Requested rooms at the rear as had read on trip advisor that they were quieter. Rooms have been refurbished, everything in the rooms worked but did find the room quite small and cramped for 2 people. Breakfast had a good choice and cheaper if booked through reception than paying direct at the La Bonne Auberge restaurant. Hotel is near to Sauchiehall shopping street and also the Royal Concert Hall. Walking distance from Buchanan Street bus station and Queen Street railway station. Staff were mostly friendly apart from restaurant manager who was a bit stroppy. All in all a decent hotel in the centre of glasgow.

Room Tip: for a quieter room ask for a room at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

It was great to read you enjoyed your time here and also enjoyed our central location.

We looked forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Great location, but that's all. Rooms are very small, there is no mini-bar, not even shampoo on offer, the lift didn't work, breakfast is basic - that would all be very well, if the prices were basic, too. We paid a whopping £120 for a pre-booked double. It would have been much better to choose a hotel a bit further from the center, even counting some taxi-rides, it would have been cheaper and more comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
DanielSBell, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay here and didn’t find it good value for money.

As you say there are no mini bars in our standard bedrooms but we do offer 24 hour room service for food and beverage. We do have a number of executive rooms that have a mini bar facility.

We have selection of toiletries in all our rooms including, shampoo, bath and shower gel as well as body lotion. There is also a number of other items such as toothbrush, shaving kits etc available free of charge at reception.

We are in the fortunate position of having 2 lifts at the hotel so if there was one temporarily out of order then our guests always have the option of the second lift to choose from.

With regards to breakfast I was disappointed that you found it be basic. The hotel’s award winning restaurant, La Bonne Auberge has been awarded an AA Rosette for the last 10 years and therefore we have very high standards of quality and choice.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel and share your comments. We appreciate all feedback good or bad as it enables us to constantly improve and maintain our high standards.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here the first weekend in October. We were going to a concert right across the street (Royal Concert Hall) so was very handy. Also very good for shopping, close enough that you can make a trip back to unload some bags!!
Rooms were very small, but clean. Breakfast was delicious, though if you have pancakes ask for the syrup on the side as they were very soggy!!
Friendly staff in the bar, we ate there the first night, just a bagette and chips, was nice enough.
Would stay here again for sure.
One thing, one of my party is disabled so we had to use the lift.... and it takes FOREVER!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time here and that you would use us again.

Thank you again for taking the time to post you review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I like the IHC chain. It's my preferred chain on my frequent business trips. My visit to Holiday Inn, Glasgow was the first one as a Platinum PC member, and I expected room upgrades, dancing girls and caviar. Oh dear.

At check in they had no record of my priority club number, despite it being on my booking confirmation. I checked into my room at about 2100. The room was tired-looking and small, so that they had to install the TV on top of the wardrobe by the ceiling, so the only way to watch TV was to lie in bed. The lift was as slow as continental drift and shuddered all the way. I decided to take the stairs, clearly marked, near my room. The stairs led to a fire escape and the back of the kitchens, but not to a public area, but there was no indication of this on the entrance at bedroom level.

The restaurant staff made me feel at fault that I hadn't booked a table, despite having only just booked into the hotel. It took them 30 minutes to serve my soup. The menu was very limited for a 5 night stay, so for the rest of the week I ate out.

The wi-fi was useless. The longest spell I got on line was 30 minutes. The router would constantly drop out and refuse to issue IP addresses. Having an unreliable wi-fi connection is in some ways worse than having none. Before you ask, I'm an IT professional, and other guests had the same problem. It's their infrastructure.

The only thing going for this place is the location, in the heart of the city, but I will break my habit and go out of my way to book another chain when next I visit Glasgow. IHC hotels should dump this excuse onto a rival as soon as they can.

Room Tip: Avoid a room at the top. It's on a main road and opposite the entrance to the cinema, so a lot...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Alan T, Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Sir,

I am writing in response to the review you left on Trip Advisor.
As you know as a platinum member you are entitled to a room upgrade if the hotel has availability. We manage to accommodate this 99% of time but there are occasions when this is not possible. As you know during the time of your stay it was an exceptionally busy week for the hotel as Glasgow was hosting a large conference. We were therefore unable to accommodate your request for an upgrade as we had no availability.

As explained during your stay the situation was out with the hotels control and if could have accommodated your request we would of. I am sorry you have decided to leave unfavourable comments about the hotel due to this.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I used the hotel during a recent business trip to Glasgow; the hotel was in an ideal location being only a short walk from the main centre area - great for shops, entertainment and restaurants. Being my first time in Glasgow the staff proved very helpful with directions and recommendations on places to eat.

The hotel itself was very clean and tidy; with the breakfast buffet offering a great start to the day - plenty of variety.

As a business traveller the wireless Internet access was invaluable to me, it was very reliable and access was possible from all areas in the hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve H
DanielSBell, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

It was great to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from the central location to the WIFI, which we have recently had upgraded.

Our staff take great pride in what they do and I will certainly make sure your comments are passed on.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel itself is a bit noisy, but clean and comfortable rooms and a good location in the city centre make it a good deal. What puts the experience above expectations is a wonderfully warm and generous staff who helped me in everything from internet access, walking directions, an adapter when mine wouldn't fit the plugs, even let me check in quite early when I arrived from the airport. Always with a smile and a friendly air.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff warm and friendly.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.