“A really well-located hotel with a lovely restaurant and wonderful staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland

Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
Ranked #24 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Killarney, Ireland
“A really well-located hotel with a lovely restaurant and wonderful staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn, Glasgow Theatreland for 3 nights at the start of February.
We booked it because the hotel is really well-located in Glasgow: it is about 10 minutes' walk from Glasgow Central Station (which is where you arrive if you take the train from Glasgow Prestwick Airport), and also 10 minutes' walk from Glasgow Queen Street Station. It is also located, as the name suggests, in the heart of theatreland, and there is a cineworld (cinema) just next door.
The hotel was also good value and that is obviously a plus.
The room we got was on the 4th floor, nicely decorated and featured all the comfort you would expect in a respectable hotel: comfortable bed with a choice of soft or firm pillows, great bathroom with shower/bath, flat screen TV, tea & coffee (and hot chocolate!) making facilities (with biscuits!! which we thought was a nice touch). There is a lift to get there, but also stairs for the bravest! ;-)
Though the hotel is central, it was quiet at night and we slept very well; the only negative thing was the works going on across the street, which started early in the morning and were... noisy, but unfortunately there is nothing that could be done about that.
We had breakfast as part of our package, which was nice. The breakfast was a buffet with a choice of continental and Scottish hot breakfast. Continental: fruit salads, choice of cereals, choice of fruit juices, toasts, a small choice of pastries, cheese and cold meat. Hot breakfast: traditional Scottish breakfast (sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, scrambled eggs, black pudding, beans), which is not cooked on order so not always very fresh, but that's alright.
The restaurant was nicely decorated, French-themed, and offered a very reasonable pre-theatre dinner for about £16.00.
What made this hotel great was the staff, may it be at reception or in the restaurant, they were all lovely, very helpful, always had time to have a bit of a chat with you and recommend things to do or places to go when prompted.
All I can say is that we will definitely go back when in Glasgow, and I guess that says it all!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FrenchCailin
DanielSBell, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Cailin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed account of your stay at the Holiday Inn.

It was great to see you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our central location.

The main point you brought up was the helpful and friendly staff, this is great feedback and I will be sure to pass it on to the team.

Thanks again for reviewing the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Still love the location, the restaurant, comfortable rooms, unusually for U.K. with iron and board although crummy hairdryer, bring your own.The staff are friendly and accommodating so my complaint might seem petty. They offer you free wifi for one hour a day!! Big wow. It was free in the past. I just don't buy that a chain the size of Holiday Inn have to charge now because they have upgraded to superfast connection as so many business men said they would be happy to pay for this. Good for them. Trust me the connection was not super anything. I use my computer like many people these days for news, timetables, emails, banking, theatre and restaurant reviews and t.v. catch up. It's just a way of life. One receptionist even tried to offer my sister and I just one hour between us although we both have ipads although she was persuaded to give us an hour each saying we were "spoiled" facetiously. There are lots of great hotels in the centre of Glasgow. I will always look for one with free wifi . So will others Holiday Inn take note.

Room Tip: I prefer a room overlooking the street. 136 looked into machiery air conditioning? Noisy at night,
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank annebryceland
Dear Anne,

Thank you for your second review of the hotel. I was disappointed that the chargeable WIFI had put a dampener on your visit to the hotel. We do indeed offer 1 hour free per day and after that there is a small charge of £5.99 for 24 hours access. I have checked with a few competitor hotels in the same area and we are in line with what they charge. The Thistle Hotel beside us costs £9.99 for 24 hours with BT Openzone with no free hour.

We do have rooms looking onto the front of the hotel and it would have been no bother to move or allocate one if requested.

Please be assured everyone in the hotel is dedicated to provide a great customer experience and the feed back that you have left is very warmly welcomed and will be used in a constructive manner.

Should you wish to return, please contact myself direct so I can personally ensure you have a wonderful visit.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in Feb 12. Great location, one block up from Sauchiehall Street and close to Buchanan Galleries shopping area. Room was usual HI affair, but clean and tidy, and secure (you have to use room card to use lift).
Staff were helpful and customer focussed. Have stayed at Crown Plaza near SECC but this hotel is better located and does not suffer too much from being in the city centre.
Downsides: Little car space to drop off bags etc, on a "no parking double yellow line", and car park opposite charges £13 per 24hr, but it is secure and well lit. Sunday breakfast was a bit scrum-like but get down before 0900 and you should be OK.
Upsides: helpful staff across the board, OK room.

Room Tip: Go high as you can and at the back.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review of the Holiday Inn Theatreland Glasgow. I was glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us.

Breakfast on a Sunday morning can be the busiest time of the week for them, but our restaurant sits 100 people, so there is never a long wait to get seated and served.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

airdrie, scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night and found it to be a great hotel. We ate in the resturant which was lovely one of the best meals I've had. I found staff helpfully and friendly. Hotel is spotless. Bed was very comfy with a choice of pillows. Only thing I could say I was disappointed about was the spa bath as you would need to be very small and short to be able to relax in it or fit in it. We stayed is a feature room I proberbly wouldn't pay the extra to have one again but would defiantly stay at hotel again

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
DanielSBell, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review "Great hotel" I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was also pleased to see that you enjoyed your meal in our award winning restaurant, La Bonne Auberge, which also rates highly on tripadvisor.

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

This is the third time i have stayed at this hotel and so far i have not been dissapointed, there is a muti storey car park right opposite and costs £12:00 for 24 hrs, but if you take your ticket in the hotel will validate it, from 17:30 to 08:30 cost me £2.75. In the hotel there is a small checking in area which normally results in a wait, my room was upgraded to an executive room and was a good standard, i didn't eat at the hotel, i find it offensive to pay about £15.00 for all you can eat breakfast, it's not my money, but i will not eat where the food is kepy warm and tastes pretty revolting, but that's my choice. Everyone is friendly, but that is the Holiday Inn standard, they have a local Glaswegian lager which was really good 4.9 vol bit pricey, but thats city centre living i suppose. I stayed for two nights, the first night was £74.00 and second £109.00, nothing was different on the second night unless there was a west end show on! this is the only place i stay in Glasgow, it really is top notch

Room Tip: I am a priority club member and get free upgrades, it costs nothing to join and you get loads of per...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Millsy52
Dear Lexi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the hotel.

It is great to see that we are your number one choice in Glasgow!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I have been using this hotel for years now and have always sworn I would not use/need any other hotel in Glasgow.

The staff are great.
The rooms are brilliant.
Always get an upgrade as a platinum member.
Great perks given out at check in for Priority members from blue up to platinum.
Situated in the heart of the city.

So if you are visiting Glasgow for a weekend break or holiday this really is a great hotel to choose.

Sadly, I always stay here for business. Which means I need to work, and the wifi in this hotel is probably the worst I have ever used in any hotel. I have raised this issue with the reception staff on the last 5-6 times I have stayed, however the problem has just got worse.

I would say this is the best Holiday Inn in the UK. Although now it would be the best for a leisure break and I would suggest those looking for business to maybe look elsewhere until the wifi has been replaced with a more reliable option.

Room Tip: Make sure you are a priority club member. Best rooms are 105/205/305/405 and suites are on the 5th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
DanielSBell, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear My Payne,

Thank you for leaving a review. I am delighted you think we are the best Holiday Inn in the UK. I am lucky to have an excellent team at the hotel who take a great of pride in what they do.
As you know I telephoned you as soon as I read your comments about the wifi at the hotel. We have made a significant investment in the wifi hardware over the last year. I stay in the hotel 3 times a week and dont have any issues with the wifi. I have contacted our service provider who have tested the system and cannot find a cause for some of the problems you identified in our call.. I have given them a list of the room numbers you have stayed in over the last few months so they test the system to try and determine if the problems you have had are isolated. The service provider have agreed to be on hand the next time you stay so they can try and identify the the issue.

I look forward to welcoming back to the hotel in coming months.

Regards
Alan Taylor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Excellent location with superb staff service and a fine restaurant . Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
DanielSBell, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Dear Pauline,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review of the hotel. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back!