“If all you are looking for is a cheap room for the night.z”
Review of Bluesky Hostel

Bluesky Hostel
Ranked #35 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Glasgow
“If all you are looking for is a cheap room for the night.z”
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 10 years ago and was very unimpressed then - soggy floors, mysterious stains on the curtains. My friends and I only stayed 5 hours!

However, went to an even in Glasgow this year and the accommodation was arranged for me, this is where we stayed, and I went with an open mind...

Location - a short 15 minute walk from the city centre (or a 2 minute train journey and a 3 minute walk) so good access to shopping and attractions etc

The bunk beds:
1) there were screws missing from the beds, meaning the ladders were attached at the top bunk, but not to the bottom bunk
2) some people got mattresses, I got a block of uncovered foam, with a mattress topper.

The showers (I used the shower on the top floor):
1) the temperature control dial had fallen off the shower unit
2) the shower head was on a flexible cord, which you could move around, but there was nowhere to fix it to the wall to allow you to use both hands whilst shampooing.
3) the tiny hook on the wall to hang my towel was very loose, and nearly fell off when I placed my towel onto it
4) there was no space to leave anything in the shower cubical, I had to leave my toilet bag and clothes on the other side of the door.

All we needed for our time in Glasgow was somewhere to store our luggage during day while we were out, and a place to sleep once we got back. This hostel did provide this, at a convenient location. However, I will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank TheNorthernStarlet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Last minute booking at the hostel (which I was extremely grateful for) as the place I had booked double booked my room and it meant I had nowhere to stay.

Thanks to Bluesky I had a bed for the night.

In terms of the hostel itself, you get what you pay for. Cheap place to stay, great location but the place is a bit dirty. The rooms were fine, although there was a weird smell in my room which was quite off-putting. Beds quite uncomfortable but then again, dont stay in a hostel if you want a great night sleep.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
toddP898, Manager at Bluesky Hostel, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
we cant be responsible for the personal hygiene of the other people in your room. sorry about the smell.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The worst hostel I have stayed in over a 3.5 week journey. The rooms are filthy, 2 power outlets in a 12 person dorm was almost useless, I was put in the moldy basement across the road from the main hostel, the beds are either 1 inch foam mattresses or old large coil springs, maintenance issues such as a clogged sink never being resolved in the 3 nights I spent there, instead a sign was put on it which explained not to use it as the sink stayed full of stagnent water. The staff were hit and miss whether they were friendly or helpful at all. The manager was verbally abusive to his staff in an open forum on a consistent basis making patrons feel awkward and changing the moods of staff to bitter, sad, or angry. There was a patio where we were told we could drink and then were not aloud to do so. The WiFi did not work at all with staff response being, "oh yea it barely ever works", the computers in the "lounge" were so out of date they could not even keep a email browser open for over 5 minutes without crashing into a blue screen of death. I will never go back to this place again as I would rather try to find refuge on the streets of Glasgow because at least it would be similar conditions for free.

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank WallyBWorld
We are the cheapest place in town and offer more than most hostels for free! the public computers are full of viruses this is why they are slow. the WiFi works fin if people would connect the device they are using the disconnect it when they are done. when there are 70 people staying here and 300 connections to the WIFI what do you expect will happen? there are plenty of places to charge your equipment in the lounge and kitchen. the reason we don't have power in the rooms is all you anti social face book people just sit in the dorms skyping and watching movies while other people are trying to sleep.
Sleep on the street next time , that will leave us room far a happy person to take your place.

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Rather than try to make some shallow connection between the Blue Sky Hostel and a 70's rock band, I am only trying to classify the stains I discovered on my mattress cover when I peeled off the bed linens. There may have been vomitus and the remains of sex play as well. If that sounds disgusting, then you have some idea where this review is going.

On the plus side, the men on the staff were helpful and professional. The young women on the staff were pretty useless. With only one exception, the women simply waited until their shift began and turned up the techno-rock music and joined in the nightly drinking bash. The owner, a foul-mouthed middle aged man with long hair and tats never identified himself. I only knew who he was because he verbally abused everyone and when I asked someone who the [--] was, someone whispered to me he was the owner. I never saw him greet a guest or conduct himself as a professional business person. He walked past me and every other guest without acknowledgement each time I saw him.

There are two toilets on the third floor and one on the first. They were without paper more than they were supplied. Comments to the staff did no good once the drinking started.

We found out when we arrived that the owner had a black retriever. The staff kept the door closed to keep the dog from walking out and the hostel heated up due to the cooking stove going constantly. Honestly, the dog got preferential treatment compared to the guests. Since there is no other place to sit other than the smoking porch, it was uncomfortable everywhere except in bed, and the frame on my wife's bed was broken. So was the ladder on the first bunk I selected.

The kitchen was poorly maintained. I watched them use the same sponges to clean the stove as they used to wash dishes. I saw guests who picked their nose and then handled community kitchenware without washing their hands. I saw kitchen utensils that fell on the floor returned along with the clean dishes. I saw bathroom tiles broken. I saw hooks missing for hanging a towel in the showers.

I could go on, but why bother. This building is strictly an income property. It is poorly maintained and it is not comfortable. If I had been backpacking I would go there only for the shower. The only reason for people to use this hostel is if no other option is available. My advice is to book early and in order to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank globalexplorer1
Nova Gorica, Slovenia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

You get what you pay for. The rooms were dirty. We had our rooms in the other building. Beds were uncomforatble. And rooms are way to small to fit 8 people in one room. One day the showers only had cold water. The whole place is dirty. No wifi in rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank horvatnika93
toddP898, Manager at Bluesky Hostel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
The place isn't dirty. Your room might have been as we can only be as clean as the people that stay here are. you are told to put your backpack or luggage on your bed when you are not using it but nobody ever does so we cant clean properly when there is peoples stuff all overt the floor. your room was 11 feet by 15 feet room. only 4 bunk beds in there. how much room do you need in a dormitory?
Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is what you make of it. It's older and a bit shabby but there is a vending machine which serves beer and a friendly atmosphere if you make it. It is a bit rough for those not accustomed to hostels of this type, but if you're looking for a cheap stay and lots of beers then I'd go for it. I loved my stay!

Not to mention Todd is quite the character, after he warms up to you!

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Booked a 4 bed room for two nights in mid March. On arrival the guy at the front desk said that there had been a mistake in my booking as the booking portal had shown me rooms that weren't available and said that I had to go into an 8 bed room instead. As I had booked early on in the year and well in advance, I demanded to know why the hotel had not bothered to inform me of this at the time the booking was made or even in advance so I could decide whether I wanted to stay. The guy shrugged his shoulders and looked non-plussed. He eventually put me in a 4 bed room as I had changed from a 3 night to a 2 night stay. No town information was given at check-in. Room had no power points and contained the hotels linen closet, so staff were coming in and out of the room throughout the night to get clean linens. Room was right by the bathroom and the central heating which, even with earplugs, sounded like you were in a washing machine. Found it very difficult to sleep, beds are broken and make an absolute raquet when moving. Location is 20 minutes-30 minutes walk to town centre. Observed the owner of the place verbally abusing staff in front of guests. While I agree that with hostels you often get what you pay for (or what you don't), I wouldn't suggest this hotel to anyone looking for at least a few hours sleep.

• Stayed March 2013
10 Thank Eatthepudding
toddP898, Manager at Bluesky Hostel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
The key word to your review is : The HOTEL
We are not a hotel! we are a £10 per night backpacker hostel for students and young travelers. We are not a hotel for 40 something cheap skates that cant read the HOSTEL description.
If you are not a 'BACKPACKER' dont come here! you wont be happy.