“No problems”

Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
Ranked #81 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Booked in for one night, chosen because it was close to Central Station. The hotel is old but the room I was given was clean and quiet. Lovely complementary tea/coffee water & cookies. Lashings of hot water! Plenty of choice for breakfast and the reception staff were friendly and helpful. Would use again.

Room Tip: I had room 219 perfect single
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank var1957

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Booked in here for just one night as it was close to the station and relatively cheap; also the other hotel we were booked into for the rest of the weekend was full so we couldn't get in there.
We were on the fourth floor in an attic room with a sloping roof (I was told of this when i made the booking so no great surprise). The room was of a decent enough size despite the sloping roof but the bed was a tad small for 2. Bathroom was a good size but the floor sloped at an angle.
There is no lift in the hotel and the stairs are quite narrow and curve. 90 steps from street level to the fourth floor so if you are infirm/unfit this isn't the place to go. Staff what we saw of them were friendly and efficient enough.
To be honest the only really positive thing about the hotel is the location as it is right next door to Central Station.
I would only stop here again if I needed a short overnighter when catching a train or was stuck for a place to stay.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bungleye
Reviewed February 27, 2014

On preparing to leave our room, the maid opened the door and hammered very loudly on the door advising us we were 25 mins late in leaving in a very curt manner. I replied to her sarcastically that perhaps she should have knocked louder. I appreciate that this was quite rude but I didn't expect to be spoken to like that. It was 1055 and we were meant to leave at 1030 (I thought it was 11 like most hotels) When I got to the reception the desk clerk immediately challenged me on the way I spoke to the maid. The maid was there and actually apologised to me for hammering on the door which I accepted. The desk clerk continued to challenge me as to why we were 25 mins late. I advised I thought it was 11. She then advised she would be charging me a £10 late fee!! This staff member is the rudest individual I have ever come across in the service industry and because of her attitude I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank KeirD D
Reviewed February 23, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank John M
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We arrived early, we we're told to leave our bags in the dining room, we had a lot of heavy luggage and only two of us heaving it up all those stairs as the receptionist just sat and watched us not even an offer to help us. We we're out for some lunch until check in, when we arrived back we collected our key and heaved our luggage up the stairs again this time there was two receptionists a man and the same lady watching us heave and pull our heavy luggage up more stairs and no offer of help at all.

We stayd in our room all night, there was a missing ceiling panel in the bathroom exposing wires and horrible dusty cobwebs, somewhat into the night the light stopped working so we called the reception who called out the maintenance man who spoke not one wor do English so it was hard to explain what had happened and was happening, it was the wiring not just the bulb we tried to explain bhut no use he changed the bulb 3 times before he realised it wasn't the bulb, then our window broke and wouldn't close we showed him and he said "no English" ur not dumb dude you can see it broken you don't need English to see.

The next morning having no light so had to shower etc in the dark, bad start to our day, to then go and have a breakfast that was absolutely awful, cheap nasty horrible food and it shows and tastes like it, the ham was off and the orange juice was sour and cloudy and curdled as if it had been mixed with milk, no impressed with anything, when checking out we mentioned all this to the lady on reception the same lady previously, she said nothing about the food etc but about the light and window she said and I quote " well he cant fix anything till youse get out the room" nice really welcoming and professional.

I no it's only 44 per night but there still should be some form of quality and some form of standards. Which this hotel had not one of, pure let down and utter waste of 44 pounds.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MissDrummond
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Stayed here for one night as I had an interview in strathclyde uni. The hotel has a great location, very near central station. Staff were very helpful and extremely friendly. The room was on the top floor so we had to climb some stairs, but not too bad. The room itself was very large, but very old and drab. However, it was immaculately clean. A very nice touch was two bottles of water and two cookies for free! Really enjoyed that. Breakfast was included and was good.

Only negative thing I could say us that I woke up with a big red bite mark on my leg. It's very sore. I know it's not a bed bug bite, as these bites are painless, and mine is very sore. Not sure how I got it, but the sheets seemed very clean.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Nature_geek_89
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

My Fiance and I booked this hotel for a Valentine's romantic night away in Glasgow and it is a lovely hotel. It is 2 minutes from Central Station and found it quite easily. The staff look after your luggage till you enter your room while being friendly and helpful. The room was quite big and peaceful which was good. It was a perfect get away. The breakfast was really good too. Brilliant might away for only £34. Definitely going back.

• Stayed: February 2014