“Very g for the priceood”

Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
Ranked #88 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
St Helens
“Very g for the priceood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

We booked this Hotel to go and see Bon Jovi at Hampden Park and were a bit worried about what we would find after reading some of the previous reviews.We had no problems ,the room was very good ,the position of the hotel is great (just 2 minutes from Sauchiehall St).We parked outside and even though it cost £6 per day for the on-street parking ,pay and display we thought that this was good value because we did not need the car for the weekend (free on Sunday).

The breakfasts were excellent and apart from the climb up to our room (no lift) we could not fault our stay.

It is incredible how many bars and clubs are within walking distance of this hotel and if you are into Art Deco buildings, you are in the right place!

• Liked — Its location and cost.
  • Disliked — The stairs (no lift)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2008

This place was AWFUL. I had to switch rooms 3 times my first night--twice because of bed bugs, and once because the "non smoking" room reeked of cigar smoke. The only redeeming thing is that they moved me up to a much larger room and didn't charge extra. The shower was clogged up with hair and who knows what else before I'd even use it. The entire room would shake every once in a while--I have no idea why. I had been hostelling throughout Scotland and thought I'd "treat" myself to a real hotel in Glasgow--needless to say, the hostels were cleaner. The phones weren't working, and the people at the front desk knew almost nothing about Glasgow--no restaurant recommendations, or even decent directions. AVOID THIS PLACE!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank jcohen8
Area-General-Manager, Manager at Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2008
Dear Guests,

I take this opportunity to inform everyone that we have just finished (June' 08) redecorating and re furbishing all the Rooms at our Hotel. With a new Management in place we are confident that we will exceed anyone's expectation in terms of warmth and friendlyness in service. We are one of the most centrally located Hotel in Glasgow and offer excellent value for your money. You are all most welcome to come and have a look around.

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

aberdeen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2007

I booked this hotel as I was informed it was near the SECC. On entering the hotel we were asked to pay in full. Instinct told me not to but I thought it couldnt be bad......how wrong was I!!!! After climbing the steep stairs and getting to our rooms I found one of the most disgusting sights ever....damp patches on the roof...wallpaper hanging off the walls...a smell of damp, grey sheets on the beds a carpet that had holes in it. It was awful, I told my daughter and her friend who were staying in the next room not to unpack, even though it
was for one night there was no way we were sleeping there. We took out
suitcases downstairs and told the man on reception that this was clearly not what was advertised on the internet and we were not staying there. He told me he could not refund my money as I would have
to speak to the manageress in the morning. I telephoned next morning and explained that is was not the hotel we expected to be told it was not a hotel but a Bed and Breakfast....!!! It clearly states hotel on the website!!!! She would not refund our money as they have a 48hr cancellation policy...Regardless of the fact this hotel should clearly
be closed down, Its disgusting and filthy and should be demolished and
rebuilt again.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Haddington, Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

We stayed here with friends for one night. We had come to Glasgow for the Southside Johnny concert. It isn' t the Ritz but for £25 a head bed and breakfast what do you expect.

Our room was large and comfortable, our friends room was small and cramped (see attached pictures). Although the curtains were hanging off the rail, my intrepid little wife jumped up on my shoulders and quickly rectified the situation.

On our return after the concert the night porter/barman was left speechless and astounded when my wife asked him for a dry white wine. He did however recover sufficiently to offer an Orange Bacardi Breezer as an alternative.

Breakfast was slow in arriving through no fault of the solitary waitress on duty. Our travelling companions recieved no breakfast at all.

Would we stay here again? Probably, although I don't think our friends will return.

Stayed November 2007
6 Thank bigman3a
Elgin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2007

I stayed in this hotel with my fiancee and were looking forward to staying somewhere that associated itself with such a highly regarded man as Mackintosh. However, on arrival our opinions were quickly changed.

Entering the hotel I was surprised by the lack of reference to Mackintosh, (not being an avid fan this did not overly concern me).

Receptionist was polite and efficient and thats were the good bits ended.

Entering the room it was immediately clear that it had not been cleaned for some time. There was a brown stain on the roof as though a 40 a day smoker had been sitting there for 6 months. The curtains were also stained like this.

The most disgusting part was the bed. The sheets were stained and covered in har (clearly not head hair!), and there was a piece of chewing gum on the wall above the head board.

I immediately complained and was told that it could not be rectified until the following day when the cleaner returned to duty. (It was 3pm when I complained).

We spent as little time as possible in the room and then returned to it late at night. Got up the next day to the greasiest fried breakfast I have ever tasted then went out for the day. Returned about 6pm to see that the gum had not been removed and the same sheets were on the bed. I complained again and the receptionist came into the room, flicked the gum off the wall resulting in it falling down the back of the bed. Cue a roll of the eyes from the receptionist and then a "There's no more I can do to help you".

Need I say anymore-DONT STAY HERE!

A letter of complaint to the management still remains unanswered.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff, cleanliness, food
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
3 Thank upnorthcop
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

The room itself was fine and spacious, suppose bathroom could have been a little cleaner.

We found the staff not very friendly, the breakfast only mediocre, but what was very upsetting was when they run out of water, the reaction from the foreign staff was to laugh in my face and shrug their shoulders. Left without shower and very unhappy with staff.

• Liked — It's Location
  • Disliked — No running water, staff indifferent about any problems
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank banditDublin
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2007

Well, I booked four nights in this hotel at the last minute, due to the lack of rooms available in the city.
I took the chance to read the reviews on here AFTER booking, an I must admit I was worried, but my partner and I decided to take the risk.
I'm so glad we did! It is perfectley placed for enjoying the city, only minutes from Buchannan street & 5 from Saucihall street.
We were greeted at recepyion, given our key card, we made our way up to our room. It was clean large and tidy, all the electrical equipment worked, constant hot water, ok a broken tile on the bathroom floor....but for £50per night I was more than happy.
I would tottally reccomend this hotel.
Go on You will love it!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of beer in the bar
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family