“Tired in need of some TLC”

Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
Ranked #81 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel is located just 1 min from central station, On the upper floors above shops.
There are stairs to reception and step winding stairs to al bedroom floors - NO LIFT
Whilst the hotel is clean the rooms are in need of some TLC and tired.
Bed was clean and comfy sadly only 2 pillows and despite asking for more none were available
My room was on the 4th floor and was in effect an attic room with sloping ceiling and sloping bathroom floor !.
The furniture was old and damaged with the plinth missing from the dressing table draws and the wardrobe propped up with wooden blocks.
The TV didnt work work and when I asked for help had to wait till moree staff came in 3 hours later so I had to fiddle to get a picture myself.

The decor needs refreshing as whilst the room was clean the tired decor lent an air of shaby.

Breakfast was good and staff helpful.

WIFI in reception and small lounge area

Plenty of places to eat within 2 mins of hotel as aremain shopping areas

I paid a budget price so expected a budget room and wasnt dissapointed
considering the price it was value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 6, 2013

This hotel is located just around the corner of the Central station. It is easy to find but has loads of Stairs. An external one to reach the hotel lobby and winding, small and narrow ones to reach the rooms. The rooms are nicely decorated but the exterior could do with a lick of paint. The breakfast room has Rennie MacKintosh decorations like mirrors and lamp shades. breakfast is served by friendly staff, it is an average breakfast. The lobby has free wifi. My room was in the attic, had to climb loads of stairs. Value for money hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel couldn't be better situated if you need a cheap city centre hotel. Right beside the Central Station in the heart of Glasgow, inexpensive accommodation, friendly staff, clean rooms with comfy beds, decent breakfast. That's the positives.

The negative - and there's only one - is the street noise which affects the rooms overlooking Union Street.

In the evening there's the usual city sounds, people noises, buses and trucks rumbling down the road, nothing you don't expect. However, the road noise goes on for most of the night with street sweeping vehicles, then night-time delivery trucks - especially the ones with fridge units mounted on their roofs - they seem to stop right under the hotel and sit there with their engines running for ages. In the morning I felt as though I'd been awake most of the night. And I'm usually a sound sleeper. However, obviously there's nothing the hotel or staff can do to alleviate the noise level.

I'd recommend this hotel if you're a VERY sound sleeper or intend to get pretty drunk...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The location of this hotel couldn't have been better for our needs. We arrived late into Glasgow Wednesday night and it was literally a one minute walk or less from the Union Street entrance of Central Station. We came across three receptionists in our three days at the hotel, and all were charming and very helpful! The room itself was clean, if not very old and run down. We were on the top floor and with no elevator we had to walk up a few flights of spiral staircase. The wardrobe and drawers were broken, as was the curtain rail, and the floors were not level, they seemed to be slanted on the top floor. Nevertheless, all we wanted was a cheap, clean and central hotel and Rennie Macintosh lived up to that! It was £101 for three nights in February and it fulfulled all our requirements. Breakfast was included as well which was fantastic value and a great selection of continental and hot breakfast!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Perfect location adjacent to Glasgow Central railway station.Stayed for two nights at end of January 2013,both nights I slept very well despite being a light sleeper.Booked in advance by phone,just as well as hotel was full and turning people away the morning I left.All staff extremely courteous and efficient,also recommending various bars/restaurants nearby when asked.Room was spacious and clean with new mattress and recently refurbished en suite,also assorted complimentary items.Breakfast(served from 7.30)was promptly served and a generous portion.Some reviewers criticized the bread;I found it made excellent toast.Don't be put off by some barely literate reviews on this site from internet trolls with unrealistic expectations of a budget hotel in an old building.I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor at the back of the hotel,which meant there was no disturbance from b...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was looking for somewhere inexpensive to lay my head for a couple of nights in central Glasgow and came across a 'compact' budget room at the Rennie Macintosh Station Hotel which is a 1 minute walk from the Union Street entrance of Central Station. Room 441 is up 4 flights of winding steps on the 4th floor (no lift). First glance reveals that this room has descended from shabbiness to seediness. A red striped curtain hangs from one hook, its pleated top trailing across the window. The other curtain is masked by a cheap wardrobe pushed up against the window obscuring most of the light. Its latchless doors hang open due to the tilt of the floor. Any attempt to close them sends hangers crashing to the floor, their mangled hooks discouraging any thought of hanging things up. Five pieces of green tartan carpet have been placed neatly against each other to cover the floor, the jumble of tartan stripes and squares giving a psychadelic feel to the room. A hole in the bathroom door indicates the absence of a latch and the door follows in my slipstream as I walk in and out. The light over the mirror fails to turn on.

However, on the other hand, the room is spotlessly clean as are the bedding and towels. The shower is good and hot. There is a kettle with ample supplies of coffee, tea, cocoa and biscuits in little packets and bottles of water. The TV is old but works and best of all the room is very, very quiet. The receptionist is charming and the breakfast excellent so all in all it fulfilled my criteria.

Room Tip: Higher floor - 4th - is quieter but the rooms have low ceilings some of which are coombed so better...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for just under 3 weeks, as I was working in Glasgow. The hotel is perfectly located 1 minutes’ walk from central station, with everything you need right beside you. There is a Poundshop across the road for any toiletries, along with a variety of takeaways, bars and restaurants at your doorstep. There is also a Tesco & a Sainsbury 2/3mins away.

The reception is always manned, and the staff are very welcoming and helpful. On the 1st night I stayed there, I was put in one of the top rooms on the 4th floor, which was quite cramped, being 6’4 I asked if I could change room, which they were happy to do at no extra cost. I was in room 208, and I was able to pre-book this room for the remainder of my stay and a very good rate. This was great. There was also room where I was able to do my ironing.

My room was cleaned every day, and provided a fresh bottle of water, tea, coffee and biscuits each day. My single bed was perfect for a lone traveller and extra pillows were provided at no extra cost, LCD TV with all the Freeview channels and I was able to pick up the free WI-FI from downstairs. The floorboards were a little creaky but nothing to shout home about.

I had breakfast on most morning, which was a buffet style, toast, muffins, juice, coffee, tea, cereals, fruit, meats and cheese. They also provided a full cooked Scottish breakfast, and the staff were always on hand to provide this.

I felt very safe in the hotel, and although it wasn’t as modern as some people may hope, it certainly isn’t out of date. I stayed there for 3 weeks and felt completely at home.

I honestly couldn’t fault this hotel, the location was great, food was great, room was great, provided all the services you need for a city centre hotel.
Only 1 thing I could mention was on a Thursday night you were able to hear a nightclub’s bass, but it wasn’t that bad.

Would highly recommend to anyone travelling and working in Glasgow.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 2nd floor, able to pick up the WIFI, for single travellers 208 was perfect.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business