“''An Orange Bacardi Breezer for the Lady''”

Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
Ranked #81 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed November 5, 2007

We stayed here with friends for one night. We had come to Glasgow for the Southside Johnny concert. It isn' t the Ritz but for £25 a head bed and breakfast what do you expect.

Our room was large and comfortable, our friends room was small and cramped (see attached pictures). Although the curtains were hanging off the rail, my intrepid little wife jumped up on my shoulders and quickly rectified the situation.

On our return after the concert the night porter/barman was left speechless and astounded when my wife asked him for a dry white wine. He did however recover sufficiently to offer an Orange Bacardi Breezer as an alternative.

Breakfast was slow in arriving through no fault of the solitary waitress on duty. Our travelling companions recieved no breakfast at all.

Would we stay here again? Probably, although I don't think our friends will return.

Stayed: November 2007
6  Thank bigman3a

Reviewed October 16, 2007

I stayed in this hotel with my fiancee and were looking forward to staying somewhere that associated itself with such a highly regarded man as Mackintosh. However, on arrival our opinions were quickly changed.

Entering the hotel I was surprised by the lack of reference to Mackintosh, (not being an avid fan this did not overly concern me).

Receptionist was polite and efficient and thats were the good bits ended.

Entering the room it was immediately clear that it had not been cleaned for some time. There was a brown stain on the roof as though a 40 a day smoker had been sitting there for 6 months. The curtains were also stained like this.

The most disgusting part was the bed. The sheets were stained and covered in har (clearly not head hair!), and there was a piece of chewing gum on the wall above the head board.

I immediately complained and was told that it could not be rectified until the following day when the cleaner returned to duty. (It was 3pm when I complained).

We spent as little time as possible in the room and then returned to it late at night. Got up the next day to the greasiest fried breakfast I have ever tasted then went out for the day. Returned about 6pm to see that the gum had not been removed and the same sheets were on the bed. I complained again and the receptionist came into the room, flicked the gum off the wall resulting in it falling down the back of the bed. Cue a roll of the eyes from the receptionist and then a "There's no more I can do to help you".

Need I say anymore-DONT STAY HERE!

A letter of complaint to the management still remains unanswered.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled as a couple
3  Thank upnorthcop
Reviewed April 15, 2007

The room itself was fine and spacious, suppose bathroom could have been a little cleaner.

We found the staff not very friendly, the breakfast only mediocre, but what was very upsetting was when they run out of water, the reaction from the foreign staff was to laugh in my face and shrug their shoulders. Left without shower and very unhappy with staff.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank banditDublin
Reviewed March 30, 2007

Well, I booked four nights in this hotel at the last minute, due to the lack of rooms available in the city.
I took the chance to read the reviews on here AFTER booking, an I must admit I was worried, but my partner and I decided to take the risk.
I'm so glad we did! It is perfectley placed for enjoying the city, only minutes from Buchannan street & 5 from Saucihall street.
We were greeted at recepyion, given our key card, we made our way up to our room. It was clean large and tidy, all the electrical equipment worked, constant hot water, ok a broken tile on the bathroom floor....but for £50per night I was more than happy.
I would tottally reccomend this hotel.
Go on You will love it!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Rap1970
Reviewed March 3, 2007

I stayed in the Rennie Mackintosh by default after having booked into their sister hotel who had trouble with some of their rooms and transfered us to the Rennie.
Well first of all we were given a twin room instead of a double, this was quickly changed for us. The room was a bit shabby (peeling wallpaper and dodgy electrics) but it was clean! the bed linen was spotless and the bed itself was comfortable enough.
The shower was good but there was no plug in the sink.
The tv didnt have a remote but hey i didnt go to Glasgow to watch tv.
The dining room was very clean and the cooked breakfast although small was very eadible and tastey. The polish girl serving was very polite cheerfull and efficient.
All in all the hotel is a budget hotel (must admit i wouldn't pay the £75 /pn walk in tarriff but discounted internet price was ok). Its location is perfect, it is not the Ritz but there again it doesn't try to be. Picture of entrance on web sites is VERY!!!!!! misleading. But all in all we had a comfortable stay at a very cheap price.

1  Thank mentalmickey
Reviewed November 26, 2006

I really wish I had seen this website before I booked. I had to find a hotel last minute and this one popped up with a nice picture (not even the same hotel) and good facilities (which there were none of) at a reasonable price so I thought why not. On approach after a tiring train journey I wanted to cry - i couldn't believe my eyes. The neon sign above the door was half lit and said it all. I will never be going back and have warned everyone I know about this hotel - absolutely appalling!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 25, 2006

dont even go. dont even think about it. its the pits. rooms were filthy. we had rain coming trough ceiling. it wasent fit for a dog. dont know what breakfast was like. dident even go there. the smell of the hotel was disgusting.

Stayed: November 2006