“Birthday Treat”

Ranked #22 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
UK
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I got taken to Fraser Suites as a treat for my birthday and I was not disappointed. My partner booked the suites for me as a surprise so didn't know where I was going and had no preconceived ideas of what it would be like.

On arrival I was impressed with the modern and stylish reception area and hoped the rooms would be the same. The reception staff were friendly and polite and guided us to our room on the 4th floor. We were booked into a large one bedroom apartment with a spacious bedroom area and living area - it was like a mini flat! My partner would not tell me how much he paid for the room but he did comment that for the size of the room, and facilities, it was excellent value for money!

I loved the fact the room had kitchen facilities which meant we could chill the champagne I was given before heading out for the evening. We went to a local restaurant which was only a short walk from the apartments and for a few drinks in the bars in the same area - all within walking distance.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Fraser Suites. A great alternative to the same boring hotels you find in every city centre. I would definitely visit again.

• Liked — The beautiful room. Also suitable for business - I would consider booking through work for future.
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank discodivaUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Korean first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I stayed in the Fraser Suites for 2 weeks while visiting Glasgow on business and I had a fantastic stay. The apartments are spacious and modern and they offer facilities that you wouldn't get in a standard hotel. The apartment had a lounge area, kitchen and dining table- perfect for longer stays. They even offer a complimentary bus service that I used to go to and from work each day.

It's in an ideal location too- with restaurants, pubs, clubs and theatres right on their doorstep. I found the people in Glasgow really friendly. The only thing I could complain about was the weather! I'll definitely stay in the Fraser Suites again and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — I thought the apartments were well equipped for an extended stay in the city.
  • Disliked — I couldn't fault it, I had a very enjoyable stay.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Betty_400
Northern Ireland
Reviewed June 5, 2007

I've stayed in the Fraser Suites a number of times - generally when the Radisson (which I believe to be easily the best hotel in Glasgow)
is full.

However, the experience I've just had means I will never be back. I cut my business trip short and flew home just to get away from the place.

The problem was the heat. I was staying on the 4th floor and the minute I got out of the lift the heat hit me like a wall.

I expected my room to be ok, but alas it was the same if not worse. I had to leave my windows open and my hall door closed the entire night. As the windows didn't open far, the room only cooled a little.

In the morning when I exited my room into the bathroom, the heat was very nearly unbearable.

I can only assume that the poor insulation experienced in the form of noise from other travellers also allows the heat of the lift and other machinery to be transmitted into the 4th floor rooms.

This caused me to remember some of the other (less severe) problems with this establishment:

- The windows don't keep the noise, heat or cold out when closed. Neither do the walls or floors.

- The curtains are obviously the smallest cut possible - they don't extend far enough beyond the sides of the windows to keep out the light (its a brightly lit area at night). Especially avoid room 101 (aptly named) where the streetlamps are mounted near the window and the room is daylight bright 24hrs a day.

- Its one of the only places where they don't see fit to provide a cooked breakfast. On a few occasions they can't even be bothered to wash the glasses, meaning I've had to drink my morning juice from a paper cup.

- Everything feels really really cheap. Every single room I've stayed
in had a coffee table where a cheap piece of veneered board was so poorly screwed to its base that it was too wobbly to work at.

- The female staff appear friendly. The male staff don't. And neither
really seem to care as much as in other hotels. The customer is made to feel like a nuisance, with the result that I've rarely complained to them in all the times I've stayed.

• Disliked — The lack of air conditioning.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Cl0udbreaker
Sussex, England
Reviewed April 25, 2007

This is the 5th time I have stayed at the Fraser Suites, due to it's central location to the main shopping areas and has plenty of diverse and entertaining local Pubs,bars & Restaurants.
Stayed in a studio plus apartment (top tip always request a room facing the back and preferably the top floor, as they have lighting on the front of the building, which stays on all night), which has a big room with nice decor, sofa, table and chairs and cooking area with fridge, hob & microwave. If you are staying on your own and can't be bothered to go to a restaurant, M&S is 10 minute walk away get your own food in, borrow a DVD from reception and have a night in!
There is a big car park next door and even a room converted into a gym if you want some exercise.
Overall nice big rooms, modern decor with a home from home cooking options (if you want).

• Liked — Location, size of room and options
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank jamescim
Iceland
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Me and my wife stayd at the fraisersuits this easter.

The hotel is in a wery good location, walking distance to all. The room were spacius and comfortable with nice bead and a small kitchen. Tv, vcr and stereo is in the room.
We loved to make our ownbreakfast when we woke upp, and you cant eat it in your bathrobes.
There are alot of good restraurants within 100m from the hotel. Pancho villas - mexican.
Sizzlersteakhouse.
The dhabba - authentic indian.

Many pubs are close by, one on the ground floor called maggie may, and it´s open late :o)

The staff were helpuff and check inn were smooth.
The room could use a fresh coat of paint and a some better cleaning, there were dust and durt.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — cleaning of the room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fossdal
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2007

As in other reviews, the location is fantastic. The room we had was modern, clean and spacious with a separate living and bedroom area. The duvet was indeed thin, but as we had fabulous weather it was quite adequate (in winter though I reckon it would be pretty cold). The staff were friendly, excellent and on the ball.

My one major complaint is that due to the single-glazed sash windows, the noise from the 2 bars downstairs was almost unbearable. We were on a street facing room, and whilst I appreciate that being in a city centre there will be this kind of noise (I am 35 so not quite an old codger yet either), I think it is a huge oversight not to install double glazing in these front rooms. With this sorted our stay would have been perfect.

Overall, I would stay again, but this time in a room at the back...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no insulation from street noise
  • Stayed March 2007
3 Thank ReviewerBelfast
Scotland
Reviewed February 27, 2007

Dont pay attention to the bad reviews of this hotel. The person that complained of the bed being in the same room as the kitchen must've stayed in a "studio" apartment. That is what a studio is. You can also request a one or two bedroom if you prefer a separate bedroom. I personally love the studio deluxe....sitting area, large bed, tv, kitchen, bathroom. It's spacious, immaculately clean, inviting, lovely. They even had classical music playing on the stereo for my arrival. You are in the middle of Merchant city..restaurants, bars and very close to shopping! I love this hotel...excellent service, decor, location, ammenities. I can't think of a bad word to say and I travel a LOT!!!
Stay here...you'll be glad you did.
If you want quiet, ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

Enjoy!

• Liked — Location, cleanliness and size of room
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business