“Loved it....”

Ranked #22 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
MsMillers
“Loved it....”
Reviewed December 27, 2007

The company I work for relocated from Cardiff to Glasgow earlier this year and I was put up in Fraser Suites Glasgow for two months as part of my re-location package.

I must say, I was very impressed by my apartment and the facilities on offer from Fraser Suites and I found the staff to be very friendly. I stayed in a studio apartment and I loved it. I made use of their gym facilities and shuttle bus service most days and got to know other long stay guests at breakfast, They seem to have quite a number of guets that were, like myself, business travellers and longer stay guests. They had a Halloween party in October to which all residents were invited and it was unbelievable! Free champagne and cocktails, a band, fortune tellers and everyone in fancy dress. I wish I could have stayed longer. I liked the location so much that I'm renting a flat nearby in the Merchant City area.

I would highly recommend the Fraser Suites to anyone visiting Glasgow.

• Liked — The location, the apartment, the staff...
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank msmillerWales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Korean first
Glasgow, UK
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Stayed in the Fraser Suites whilst I was in Glasgow to sit some professional exams. I do have to complement the blonde girl on reception who remembered me from my call a few days before arrival to request a quiet room. She even wished me well for my exams which I thought was a nice touch.

Sadly, things went rapidly downhill. I was in room 404 which whilst being nice and big, was very tired looking. The shower was terrible and generally it all needed a bit of a lift. One of the bathrobes was ripped, and in need of being replaced.

My room wasn't cleaned after the first night, so I had to do all my washing up as it was starting to smell the room out. My room was cleaned after my second night, but when I arrived back and walked into my bathroom I was hit with the very strong smell of my own Chanel perfume. As I hadn't worn this perfume since I got there, and since it was in a side pocket of my washbag and not just out on the countertop, I knew that the chambermaid had been looking through my stuff, spraying my perfume and not doing a very good job about covering her tracks! I complained politely to reception despite being fuming at the time (the general manager happended to be manning reception at the time). They sacked the girl concerned, which obviously fixed the hotel's problem, but not mine as I still didn't know what else she had been trying out and going through.

Later I discovered an item of food missing from my fridge, and tops off my hair products. I called down to reception obviously freaked out, and the general manager was again called. The next day on check out she was, in my opinion, a bit stand off-ish. I was nothing but polite, and the whole incident freaked me out and put me under stress that I really didn't need at the time. She kept using 'managment terms' such as "I have expressed my concerns with the agency" etc, but this didn't do anything to help me. She also refused to accept the possibility that the girl could also have gone through and tried out my make up (I had over £250 worth of Dior make up with me) which annoyed me, and she initially only offered to replace my perfume. This wasn't really the issue, since there wasn't that much used. It was the principle of someone going through my stuff, and the whole thing stressing me out, when I needed to be calm. I felt that I got absolutely no value for money for my stay, and would have been better off staying somewhere smaller and cheaper with honest staff.

In the end, she gave me an £80 refund (I paid £200 in total for 3 nights) which I think was too little, but I couldn't face fighting her on it, as I was sitting my final exam 1hour after checking out! One final point of annoyance was when she presumed that I was sitting uni exams as i'm fairly young (25) and was wearing casual clothes, whereas I was actually sitting exams to qualify as an attorney, and the results directly impact on my career! Never presume anything on the basis of someone's look - its just bad manners.

• Liked — Blonde girl on reception was very polite and helpful
  • Disliked — tired rooms, attitude of general manager, having my stuff messed with and taken
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank jkn2004
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We stayed at the Fraser Suites on 29th September as we were going to a wedding in the city and we honestly thought it was great value for money! We were met at reception by very friendly staff who checked us in quickly and efficiently. Our room was on the 4th floor which we had requested due to reading on here that lower floors are subject to a bit of street noise. This proved to be a good decision. The room itself was great. We had a massive bedroom, a separate living room/kitchen, a little hallway and a big bathroom. For £100 we thought this represented great value considering what you might spend for just a small room in a hotel. Ok so the furnishings are a little basic. But really so what? We were going to eat out but on seeing our suite, decided instead to pop out and get food to eat in! The little kitchen was perfectly adequate to cook a few ready meals and we had a hob, microwave/oven/grill combo, all utensils and a fridge.
Now some people have complained that the rooms overlook the car park and that is correct because ours did as well. Again, so what?? I didn't book the room to get fab views of Scottish hills and lochs, I booked the room to sleep in, in a convenient location and that's exactly what we got.
One thing I do agree with is the heat. I woke up in the night and the heat was stifling so whatever you do don't take your pyjamas as you won't need them. Our window was open and we did hear some bottles being emptied into bins quite early on Sunday morning but that's hardly the fault of the establishment.
Next door to the Fraser Suites there is a car park (the one our room overlooked). The good thing about this, is that if you tell the reception, they will give you a checkout card and so when you leave the carpark you only pay £5.50 instead of £11 for 24 hours.
All in all, we found this place to be convenient, friendly, with a massive, clean, tidy suite and would definitely use them again for a weekend break to Glasgow.

• Liked — location, super-size economic suites
  • Disliked — Got a bit hot early in the morning
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Lorraine H
Chichester, UK
Reviewed October 5, 2007

I have stayed in the Fraser Suites before, but in a Queen sized apartment, which was fantastic. I booked a studio this time as it is cheaper and others said they were good - they were not wrong. I had a huge studio apartment, with separate bathroom suite and tiny corridor connecting the two. The room was 403, and faced the back, where a car park was, so not great views, but I wasn’t there for that!
The washing up and tidying is done for you, which is great as I hate washing up, so it is like a mix between a hotel and a rented apartment. There is a weird cooker microwave thing, which is a good microwave, but not such a good cooker. There are two hobs as well, so you could really cook up something nice. Plus the toaster, kettle and fridge, of course.

The only thing about room 403 was the pulsing shower - ran hot and cold and pulsed slightly whilst doing so - weird. They need to get this fixed.

I will stay there again, no hesitation.

• Liked — being able to cook for yourself and the huge rooms
  • Disliked — the view and the heat
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank SagarFuzz
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Myself and my partner stayed there for one night and I honestly have to say when I saw the state of the rooms I wanted to go home. Room 123 was the apartment we were in and it was manky. It was on two different levels so the extra space that you were paying for with a delux rooom was actually a hallway. Aside from this the flat itself was very grotty. It felt like a badly maintained student flat. One of the windows would not close, the walls were really dirty and the grouting in the bathroom was filthy. Def not some place you would take a bath.

After a arguement with the manager we were moved to a room on the second floor which was slightly better but still not up to four star standard. Not worth the money. Be careful when booking on a website as they don't actually tell you the full price (including VAT) until you get there.

• Liked — The fact I was only there for one night !
  • Disliked — Badly maintained.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Tyne and Wear
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Fraser Suites. The apartment I stayed in was room 117 On the first floor. I was amazed at the amount of space for the price I paid, a large lounge diner / kitchen, spacious bedroom and well fitted bathroom. It was great to have the use of a dvd player and hi-fi. The only complaint I have was the lack of air conditioning and the apartment was a little hot. Overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would defnitley come back.

• Liked — spacious
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2007

The reviewer who compared this to the Radisson needs to remember that these are appartments not a hotel.

I've stayed at the Frasier suites a number of times, both by myself and with my partner. The first time I stayed I was in room 101 (as mentioned in other reviews) and didn't like it very much. It is a very industrial grey and somewhat depressing.

However the other rooms have been fantastic. They are clean, well maintained, spacious and have good facilities - DVD/TV with satellite channels etc. The kitchen facilities are slightly limited (no dedicated oven, just a combi microwave) but if, like me, you can't face any more room service at hotels, it is brilliant to be able to prepare your food.

Noise at night can be a problem if you leave your windows open (which I tend to do). If it isn't the kick outs from the nearby clubs, it is the local wildlife. I hadn't realised that seagulls don't actually appear to ever sleep. Still close the double-glazed windows and everything is OK.

Laundry facilities are available in the basement, again fantastic for long stays. The staff are perfectly friendly although not as helpful as some hotels I've stayed in. However as far as appartments go, they are probably the best I've encountered.

The location couldn't be better. Turn the corner and you're in the main shopping area of Glasgow.

Overall a great place to stay if you are in Glasgow for any length of time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor internet access
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business