“Fab Fresh Fish”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went to this beautiful resteraunt to celebrate a birthday. Shown straight to our table,as promised on booking a quiet wee booth,waitress poured us water informed us of the fresh fish of the day. Plenty of choice not only has fish on the menu but also meat,I opted for the half pint of fresh prawns with a lemon and bloody Mary dip half pint was crammed with prawns,husband took the Cullen skink soup and it too was crammed with fish,then to the mains I took the Coley with Rosemary and smoked garlic butter with fresh greens and hand cut chips food heaven hubby had the Hake with sautee potatoes plus the fresh greens it to was cooked to perfection to top it all off desert was served,all washed down with a cheeky wee Chilean Chardonny waitress kept our glasses well topped up. We were well attended staff most helpful and attentive,wonderful dining experience.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been to this resaurant on several occassions and can say in all honesty that I have yet to find a single fault.

As soon as you enter, there is a left turn (be careful of the clear pane ahead of you!) that leads in to a small but SUPERBLY stocked and served bar.

The waiting staff have been very welcoming and well informed as to their menu and specials etc.

My wife and I have found the atmosphere to be very good and defintitely not imposing which is reinforced by the warm woody tones of the decor..

A special mention though must go to the bar staff. They make excellent cocktails and seem to have an inexhaustable knowledge on their profession. And make no mistake, these guys are professionals.

The old fashioned rocks my world.

Personally I like the booths at the back but I would say there might be a wee bit more of a buzz at the front of the resaurant near the bar.

As for the food. Dear God the food.

It specialises in seafood but please don't just limit yourself to this.

In saying that though a special mention goes to the oysters. I think they have an oyster gym out back where they work out all day and eat nothing but protein. They are massive, meaty and absolutely delicious. My wife wasn't too keen to try them but a wee bit of chopped shallot, tobasco and lemon juice and she was a convert.

This is one of the few things that is a constant on the menu as they chage it every six weeks or so to keep things fresh and interesting.

Other favourites of mine have been the fish and chips. Bear with me. This restaurant offer a selection of fish and sometimes batter. Try the salmon on beer batter. Trust me.

Also another honourable mention goes to thier huge chips. Fried three times which gives a cracking cruncy coating and very fluffy centre.

Also all the game I've had here had been very good. Whenever they get fresh venison in they put it to good use. Try this with a bottle of the chocolate box red wine as it goes tremendously.

Then get some more chocolate box. Love that wine.

As an aperitif try an absinth. I was nervous at first but when served properly (as explained by the already mentioned bar staff) it is actually a very cool drink which finishes off a meal perfectly.

Go and enjoy. I would be astonished if anyone regreted it.

All in all it is a restaurant that serves amazing food but has the feel, atmosphere and experience that would happily draw you back merely for a drink.

I love the place.

1  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great food, décor, service & wine. I ordered the hake and it was very good, washed down with the Wild boar rose wine. This place is worth every penny and I would highly recommend it.

1  Thank Joseph-Glasgow
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Booked for dinner here prior to going to Strictly on Tour at SECC last week. It's easy to walk over via the walkway to the arena.
Great atmosphere with local photos/history on the walls and interesting 'Art Deco' glass panels seperating the booths. Staff were lovely and food was great altho we were glad there were not more of us at the table as it was a wee bit neat for elbow space in our booth (we were originally 5 but one was ill!) Fish is their speciality (served on wooden planks) and ours was lovely so will be back.....

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is a good boozer. Attentive staff, good selection and reasonably priced. Frequented by all sorts so everybody fits in.