“Brilliant for a weekend break”

Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland
Ranked #33 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
kendal
“Brilliant for a weekend break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

Stayed here for a weekend break, following other positive reviews. great location - easy to find from the M8, easy parking (if a little pricey - my only criticism), great location for shops, galleries and the subway to get to the West End. The desk staff were unfailingly helpful and cheerful - a real bonus. The room was fine, it had all that was needed for a weekend stay and the power shower was great! We had a room at the back, so no view but it was quiet. Maybe rooms at the front on the road, might be noisier. The continental breakfast was more than adequate, with a big selection of croissant, muffins, toast and cereals, fruit and yoghurts. What more could you want? A full English only makes you fat! Overall, an excellent hotel for its standard.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment and I'm glad your weekend break was a success.
The location of the Hotel is one of our best attributes and the fact that you had a room at the back does quite rightly cut out any traffic noise you may have experienced. I am thrilled the staff features so highly in your review they'll be very pleased to read that you consider them unfailingly helpful and friendly.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
Many Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

Have no complaints...Great location, clean & comfortable rooms, complementary breakfast. Good value for money. Cant think of anything else you would need or want!

• Stayed November 2009
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, March 2, 2010
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to add your comments, I was pleased to read that you had no complaints. I am also happy to inform you that by the end of this month we'll have added some hot options to our complimentary breakfast to further enhance any future stays.
Kind Regards
County Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

We do come to Glasgow every January for the Celtic Connections Festival and choose the Express primarily for its superb location - Royal Concert Hall is just across the street and so are the shops/bus station/train station etc. Yes, it is a budget hotel but in my opinion one of the nicest ones and their staff are always extremely friendly and helpful (the goes for Front Desk and also the staff in the breakfast room who always have a friendly word to say) Once the hotel has gone through their rebranding & refurb I think it will be even better and I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for commenting on the Hotel after staying for Celtic Connections. I'm hugely impressed that the re branding initiative has already had an effect. I am also really pleased to say we officially completed it today.
I do hope you choose to stay again next year when you'll also benefit from the hot items which will are being added to our complimentary breakfast in the not too distant future.
Thank you for staying with us when you come to Glasgow and I look forward to welcoming you again.
Kind Regards
Karen Burke
Larbert, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

I stayed here with my mum for one night in January for her birthday. We were going to the panto at the Pavillion Theatre and decided to stay overnight and make the most of it. The hotel was 2 mins around the corner from the pavillion, the cinema and the shops. It really is in an excellent location. The hotel itself is lovely and clean and the staff are so helpful and friendly. We were checked in really quickly and our room was even ready an hour earlier. The room itself is a great size and spotless. There is a comfortable bar area which is lovely. The breafast was also nice. This is a great hotel and I would definitely recommend to anyone who is looking to stay overnight in Glasgow. I will be returning to the hotel on my future trips.

• Stayed January 2010
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am delighted we helped to make your mums birthday weekend memorable - for all the right reasons. I am also very pleased obviously that the staff and cleanliness feature highly and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.
Mannheim, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

We lived for many years in Glasgow and when we come back to visit we stay at this hotel every time; there’s not much reason to stay elsewhere. For a budget city centre hotel the location is terrific. You are 100 yards from Sauchihall Street, the impressive Buchanan Street shopping centre and all the smart shops in Buchanan Street itself. You are a short walk from Argyle Street and near the Glasgow subway stops. A little down the road across from the hotel is a small licensed supermarket for things you might have forgotten.

The hotel is well maintained and doesn't have that tired worn look you see in some Holiday Inns. The rooms are bright well furnished and have a sofa, which is always welcome, and very clean bright bathroom. I have to agree with other reviewers the rooms are a little chilly, the heater not really up to it, but there were blankets in the room, and to be honest I'd rather that then the stuffy over hot room you get in hotels usually. The hotel also has free WIFI access which is good to see when most other places want a fortune for it, just ask at the front desk for the codes. The hotel doesn’t have restaurant but right next door to it is Di’Maggios, one of Glasgow’s favourite chain Italian eateries. In you room you will find a direct number for them and you can call and have your meal delivered to the hotel reception from where you can pick it up to eat in your room if you don’t fancy going out.

The desk staffs are friendly and welcoming and very knowledgeable if you want to know where something is just ask them. The room price includes a buffet breakfast which is very good there is nothing cooked hot but you get coffee, tea, juices, rolls, croissants, muffins, toast, jams and spreads, cereals, yoghurt, and fruit as much as you want so its pretty good value I think.

We were also here for the Monday 8 am fire evacuation there seemed to be a process for it someone was posted at the rear fire door to direct us to the street. Standing in the lobby later I saw a well written fire and evacuation plan/checklist. (Note for manager no attempt at a head count). Chatting to the desk staff later they told us that it was caused by someone interfering with a smoke detector in their room. The hotel is non-smoking and they probably wanted a cigarette.

If you book early via the Internet you will get a good price for a room we paid 59/69 GBP. The walk in price is considerably more 119GBP.

If you want a great room in a smart city centre location at a great price then give this hotel a try they really do deserve all the good reviews they get here.

Travellers tip. If you are staying here and arrive at Glasgow Airport do not bother with a taxi (costs about 25GBP). The hotel is literally yards from Buchannan Street Bus station. At the airport turn left when you come out and walk along to the Glasgow Flyer Express bus stop. The fare is 4.20 GBP per person. The bus comes up the motorway just the same as the taxi and makes only two stops before getting to the bus station, yards from the hotel. Going back is just as easy there are busses every 10 minutes.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul_In_Basel
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. Thank you also for always choosing us when you come to Glasgow, it's great to know that people want to come back to stay again and again.
I understand that the rooms can get a bit chilly at times - especially when hit by the cold snap we've recently experienced. Should this happen again in the future please just draw it to our attention, the hotel can easily provide extra heaters.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2009

Stayed at the hotel for one night as convenience for a christmas night out in the Holiday Inn next door. Room was clean although very cold, the heater was not adequate enough for the room, no extra blankets were provided especially since the previous few nights had been below freezing with thick fog(I live in the city), to make matters worse the window would not close properly. We were woken at about 8am by the fire alarm and there appeared to be no fire evacuation procedures in place or staff to assure us it was a false alarm. Confused and alarmed my partner and I evacuated the premises through the fire exits with an elderly couple who were barely able to walk and clearly not capable of handling stairs not to mention we were on the 5th floor. On returning to our room we went past the reception area were staff only glanced in our direction, no apology or explanation. We decided to take advantage of breakfast before we went to our room to get ready before check-out, having spent a hefty amount at their bar the previous night we were understandably famished however not a lot to choose from so breakfast was spent elsewehere. It pretty much served its purpose, we could enjoy our night without having to worry about travel arrangements home.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay in the Hotel. Firstly on a plus note - you'll be glad to hear that Express Hotels are adding hot cooked items to the complimentary breakfast in the very near future. Next time you stay after a night out there'll be no need to go elsewhere to 'top up'.
I am terribly sorry you were inconvenienced by the fire alarm when you stayed, unfortunately this is a necessary requirement to evacuate when the alarm sounds and it is always better to be safe than sorry.Carefully rehearsed procedures are in place for this event, which include looking after and comforting any distressed guests - please be assured that this is something I'll be re focussing on with my staff.
I sincerely hope this does not deter you from staying in the future and look forward to welcoming you again to the Hotel.
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

Reviewed this hotel earlier in the year, and was concerned about the noise. Having planned another weekend in Glasgow, we decided to try again, and this time followed the advice of the manager's reply to first review - we emailed ahead requesting a high room at the back.

I suppose come people would complain on this site, yes, we were given 2nd floor front facing room, as check in girl didn't read the note on my reservation, but a trip back down to reception got a replacement room at the back sorted very quickly. Yes, we found a flannel rag in the room, obviously left by cleaning staff, but I just put it over the handle of a door in hallway marked private.

What I've come back to say in this review is that my friend and I had an enjoyable trip to a nearby theatre, but what made our weekend was the lovely atmosphere in the hotel bar afterwards! It was cosy, had a lovely buzz to it with all sorts of groups sitting chatting, the prices were very good and the staff very efficient. A fab ending to our evening! Breakfast was good, and as usual everything was fresh and the whole hotel very clean.

it's a brilliantly placed hotel, the parking across the road was safe and well lit, and we're already looking for an excuse to spend another weekend in Glasgow, returning to this hotel. Thank you, staff, and good job, Karen Burke. Keep it up!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to add an updated comment to this site.
I am obviously thrilled that you consider the atmosphere to be lovely and very happy that we've managed to turn round the negatives you found when staying here previously.
Thank you also for mentioning me personally - I'll pop this review in front of my owners next time there's a wage review!
Kind Regards, Karen Burke