“Great Base for Glasgow visit!”

Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland
Ranked #33 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Toronto, Canada
“Great Base for Glasgow visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

I stayed here with my partner for 1 night whilst visiting Glasgow. We arrived a few hours before check in but our room was already ready. The room was larger than I expected, it had a double bed and a sofa bed in the corner, and the bathroom also was large with a corner sink, shower and toilet. It was just what we needed for our 1 night stay and acted as a great base.

The hotel bar was excellent, really comfy sofas, decent prices and a large flat screen TV to watch the football. It is also very secure as you need your room key to use the lifts and to access the stairwells!

To say this is meant to be a ‘no frills’ hotel it was just what we needed. Great room, great facilities, excellent location. I would have no problem stopping here again or recommending it to a friend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SammieR
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, June 23, 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay.
I am glad the Hotel and facilities were better than you expected and look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

Basic accommodation, you will know what you're getting if you have stayed in HI Expresses before.

Clean and tidy rooms, decent size, basic bathroom.
Tea/coffee facilities, a tiny TV.

The sign outside claims weekend rates from £49. This would be a fair price for what is no more than a budget hotel. We paid £59 on a deal but the walk-up rate was £125/night...keep dreaming!

I would ask serious questions about the previous response by hotel management re. improved bedding. I would agree with the reviewer-very, very uncomfortable (we were in room 376). Like a sponge, have been on more stable water beds...spent half the night trying to keep my balance and not roll into the middle! Spoiled what would have otherwise been a pleasant and quiet stay.

As other reviewers have stated, breakfast dull and selection poor. Much better choice of continental breakfast (cheese/meat/salad etc. on the continent, ironically). Basically lots of cereal and bread with nothing really to put on it. That said, is enough for a quick start.

Overall, perfectly functional and excellent location for nights out in Glasgow City Centre but a bit disappointing at the money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, May 12, 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry you felt the bed was uncomfortable.Unfortunately beds are a very personal preference, some guests prefer a slightly softer mattress. I did go and lie on the bed and personally didn't have a problem with it, granted I didn't sleep on it for the night. I can assure you that the mattresses were replaced and should you stay with us again I'd welcome the opportunity to show you a selection of rooms, ensuring your stay was far more comfortable.
I'm glad in general everything else was to your liking and I do hope you will choose to stay here again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

Stayed one night in March; check in staff friendly (the chap on the desk wasn't even phased by me not being able to work the key card!); clean, comfortable room near the back so nice & quiet & good choice at breakfast. Would stay here again. One tip - book online as it's much cheaper than the walk-in rate.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, April 22, 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay in the Hotel.
I am glad everything was to your satisfaction and pleased that once again the staff are recognised.
Thank you also for passing the tip on about booking in advance on the internet, although you can at times get as good a deal when walking in to the Hotel, it is all very much dependant on the rooms we have available.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
Chesterfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2009

Great little hotel and you know what you are going to get with the Hi Express. The rooms were small but clean. The breakfast was really good and the staff were so friendly. Close to theatres and shops. Nice restaurants nearby. Only down side was that the beds were the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. If it hadn't been for this it would have scored top marks.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Girlsontour00
KarenBurke, Karen Burke at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments on your stay. I notice it has been a while since you were here and I am delighted to tell you that since then we have replaced all of the Mattresses in the Hotel with brand new comfort ones.
I was pleased everything else was to your liking and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a comfortable 'top marks' stay.
the highlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2009

good central location, clean, very relaxing bar area with leather sofas, comfy bed and enjoyed breakfast. the only problem with this hotel was the noise! the window in the room let in all the noise from outside, we first thought the window was open, but it was closed, we also had a room at the back but it was still noisy and we both only slept about 4 hours. thank goodness was a one night stay!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MeandSally
KarenBurke, Karen Burke at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, March 12, 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay in the Hotel.
I am terribly sorry your stay was marred by the noise you experienced. Unfortunately the location of the Hotel means it is impossible to cut it out completely, I was surprised however that the room allocated at the back of the Hotel was no better.
If you plan to visit the Hotel in the future please advise us and we will endeavour to find a room that suits.
Many Thanks again for your feedback.
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2009

Just back from 2 night stay at this hotel and cant stop telling everyone how good it was!
From the moment we stepped through the entrance, you could smell the cleanliness and the place has such a nice ambience too! The reception staff were very curteous and informative but in such a relaxed way, I immediately felt at ease.

Location is excellent! 1 min walk from Bus station, and 1 min to cinema, Sauchiehall street, pubs, etc.

The room was more than fine with all usual amenities (TV, kettle, etc) and was very clean and well presented. It was also quite modern with funky bed lamps and desk lamps. If I was picky, I would say that more cable channels maybe or even just the channels on Freeview as there was only 1-5 then Sky sports (2 channels of sports) and news, Perhaps a music channel or itv2 or e4 or something of a variety?

The breakfast was more than adequate with the usual selections of Coffees, teas, juices, toast, croissants (heated or cold), petit pains (heated or cold), cheese and large selection of cereals with semi skimmed milk. Also yoghurts and muffins. Perhaps an optional cooked breakfast or even a meat platter would be nice though?

All in all, an excellent stay in a lovely hotel with fantastic staff! Will stay again and recommend to anyone who listens!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
KarenBurke, Karen Burke at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, March 9, 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for your fabulous review of the Hotel.
Thank you also for your very valid point about the TV channels, this is certainly something I'll be investigating to improve.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

Booked for one night good location rooms basic but clean the bed's are a bit hard,breakfast we thought was good .good choice and plentful the only thing is the noise from the street outside it goes on all night if we book again we would ask for a room at the back not on the main street my only grip is about the car parking
they say it cost £12 but it cost us £15.90 and yes we did get the ticket validated at the hotel and so all in all we had a good night out in glasgow

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, March 9, 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I am glad that in general the experience was favourable.
Unfortunately being in the heart of the city centre we do experience the noise from traffic, please do advise us if you plan to return and I will ensure we allocate a room at the back of the Hotel.
I'm sorry the car park appear to have charged more than anticipated, the tariff should be £12 for 24 hours and then charged pro rata for anything over that. I'd be more than happy to query this with the company concerned if you'd care to contact me at the Hotel.
Thank you once again for your comments.