“just go for the cake!!”
Review of Smile Cafe - CLOSED

Smile Cafe
Cuisines: Italian, Fast Food, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I love it here - the cakes are truly incredible! Chocolate and pear, chocolate and amaretto... I salivate at the very thought of them, and I'm not usually a fan of chocolate cake at all, but these are light-crumbed and dreamy, melt-in-your-mouth. Great selection of veggie sandwiches, tasty foccacia bread; I've never been to Italy so couldn't verify authenticity, but that doesn't matter - the food's brilliant and the coffee's divine. Friendly staff with smiles always ready. I took two Italian friends here, and they loved it too, but it's equally suitable for a lazy Sunday tête-à-tête with your loved one. My only complaint is that I do miss the food-themed album covers that used to be on the wall... Breakfast with Art Garfunkel was a particular winner!

3  Thank placet0be

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I love this cafe. The food is great and the people are really friendly with good prices too. Good atmosphere and now Italian classes too :)

2  Thank lovesunshine A
Reviewed February 17, 2013

There is something about the outside of this coffee shop that doesn't make it look worth a look. I walked past it hundreds of times before I ever thought to go in. And when I did, I was hooked. The cakes are delicious, the coffee is great, and it does have a very genuine Italian feel to it.

3  Thank Isabel I
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Passed by a few times after university and yesterday I decided to try as I saw they were selling "kimbo" one of the most delicious coffee's ever!!! ended up having a sandwich with fresh focaccia, home made grilled aubergine and Taleggio cheese, my coffee and a home made apple cake. Wow delicious!!! everything tasted so fresh!!! And the owners are so friendly and funny, I'll be a regular from now on!!!

1  Thank Natasha F
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Santino and Rocco, operate this dinky cafe/takeaway. Hailing from Southern Italy, these lads know their food (and coffee but more on that later).

We attended as part of a Yelp “meet the owners event” which is a great idea. Informal chat, scope out the place, try some bits. Love it.

Located near to our new love, Hippo Beers, Smile is a little box of food heaven. As you go in you are greeted by the smells of Italy, grilled vegetables, breads and of course coffee.

Samples of a range of sandwiches, pizza, bruschetta as well as cake was on offer. All delicious, moist and bursting with fresh flavours. A special mention must be made of the gluten free chocolate cake. I’m not a huge fan of choccie cake, but this was amazing. Light, not stodgy at all, not overpowering and so moist. It went perfectly with the Kimbo coffee

I have never heard of Kimbo but am now a convert. I tend to avoid espresso as it can be bitter, but here it is smooth. We were talked through why Kimbo is good coffee, due to the mix of beans to create a smooth, non bitter taste. Cute cups with coffee served napoli style (a dollop of sweet crema topping) left a smile on my face (and thats rare!).

We certainly will be back to try more food and buy some coffee to make at home too.

@glasgowfoodie