“good location, good price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Euro Hostel Glasgow

Euro Hostel Glasgow
Oban, United Kingdom
“good location, good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've stayed several times at the Euro Hostel in Glasgow and it can't be beaten for value. £12 per person per night, for me and two friends in a 4-bed ensuite room for exclusive use - including breakfast! Nice.
The rooms aren't brand new but they're clean, and the staff are very helpful and efficient. The bar downstairs is good, with again very helpful and friendly staff and cheap food. It'd be nice to see free WiFi but apart from that, this is a good, convenient hostel.

Room Tip: The lift is pretty slow so if you've got a lot of heavy luggage - or if you don't like waiti...
Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Gordon_Anthony86, General Manager at Euro Hostel Glasgow, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hi Imogen N, thanks for reviewing the Euro Hostel Glasgow on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted that you enjoy stayingat our hostel and continue to do so when you visit Glasgow. Thank you for noting our great value and clean facilities. It is great to hear that you find our staff friendly and helpful as this is an area we concentrate on doing right.
I am glad to hear that you liked our Mint & Lime bar however just to note we do offer free WiFi in this area – just ask the bar staff next time for the password and they will be happy to supply you with it!
Again Imogen thank you for taking the time to review the Hostel and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Good points:
- We weren't troubled by noise from trains or other guests, though it has to be said we were up on the 8th floor at the back, away from the bar downstairs or the train tracks at the front.
- The staff was extremely helpful throughout our stay.
- Its location is great and close to museums, shopping centers, supermarkets, pubs and what not.
- The bed was fine.
- Cheap good food available in the bar downstairs and in other restaurants throughout Glasgow.

Downsides:
- There were two elevators, one of which didn't work at all, and the other one had a habit of refusing to come up to the 8th floor, and if it did come at last it took absolute ages. More often than not we had to take the stairs, which is annoying when going down and crap when you're going up.
- The shower was rubbish.
- There is a kitchen, but it is very poorly equipped. There is very little cutlery, so you have to buy plastic ones. The pots and pans were pretty crappy as well, and there are no oven gloves, so I recommend not making any dishes that have to be in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees unless you happen to have brought some pliers with you on vacation. Good news is there are plenty of cheap good restaurants in the vicinity.
- Don't even consider trying the orange juice at the free breakfast. I don't know what it is, but it sure isn't orange juice. I also don't recommend the apple juice or the fruit. The rest of the breakfast is toast with butter & jam and stuff, and coffee & tea, which fortunately is nearly impossible to get wrong.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at this hostel and given its price, it sure is worth considering. Just don't book if you can't handle walking all those stairs, because they didn't seem to be in a hurry to do something about those elevators.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi FemkeVmp, thanks for taking the time to review our Hostel on Trip Advisor. It seems that in the main you had an acceptable stay with us however with some points you feel we can improve on.
Let me take your downsides in turn; first of all let me apologise for your experiences with our elevators. We are due to undergo a full modernisation in this area which should eradicate the problems you experienced. I am surprised to hear that you found our kitchen so poorly equipped and this is an area which I will personally liase with our Food& beverage manager to rectify this. I am sorry that you found our shower not to be sufficient – we have a planned maintenance programme in place for our showers for any deficiencies which should pick up any defects. I apologise that you found our complimentary continental breakfast not to your liking, we are constantly reviewing this area and will take your comments on board to improve this area going forward.
Thank you for noting our excellent location, you are right to point out that we are extremely close to all of Glasgow’s main attractions and transport hubs. I am delighted that you found our staff helpful and that you enjoyed our Mint & Lime food menu. These are areas that we pride ourselves on so to hear such positive feedback is very pleasing to hear.
Thanks again for taking the time to review our hostel and I hope that despite the areas mentioned, we can welcome you again.
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at Euro Hostel in 2009 and thought it was great. So when I had to pay out of pocket for a recent business trip, I straight away looked at Euro Hostel. And boy am I glad I did! £20 got me a comfortable, quiet room in an ideal location.

I was only going to be there for a few hours so I didn't need luxury. And I got a warm shower, a comfy bed and somewhere to charge my laptop while I worked. I even got to take my glass of wine from the bar back up to my room!

Breakfast in the morning was a bit lacklustre, but considering it's free, and I'm picky, I can't really complain.

Had a moment of contemplation while looking across the road to the Jury's Inn. A light was on in one of the rooms and so I could see right in. And I thought "y'know, it really wouldn't have been worth the extra £80 to stay there."

Well done Euro Hostel, you're still doing it right. And next time I'm in Glasgow, I'm sure I'll come back to you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank thetravelchick000
Gordon_Anthony86, General Manager at Euro Hostel Glasgow, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hi jodickson, thanks again for reviewing our Hostel (again!) on Trip Advisor. It is delightful to hear, yet again, you have enjoyed your stay with us! I am glad that our excellent location, value for money and clean rooms has proved to be a winner for you. It is always pleasing to hear us being compared favourably to our more expensive competitors. I do apologise that you found our complimentary continental breakfast to be lacking somewhat and we will take your comments on board regarding this. However I am glad that this did not detract from your stay too much.
Thank you again for taking the time out to review us and we hope to enjoy your continuing custom in the future!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is not a luxury resort, but for s.o. who looks for a cheap place to sleep downtown Glasgow, in easy walking distance of most museums and other places to visit, it's quite ok. It helps when you're tired, since there might be night long partying high school kids around the place. But some earplugs will do... There is a nice bar downstairs and very friendly front desk staff. Groups can use a first floor self catering kitchen and some lounge like places to gather. There are two elevators but both did not stop at the 7th floor where my room was located. One day these were down and one had to take the service elevator....
The room is small, has a bunk bed and a tiny en suite bathroom with toilet and shower.
We stayed here 3 nights with a group of 26. The pubfood is cheap, but not really recommended, but there are many, many nice places for dining in the direct neigbourhood.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hi Max M, thanks for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. It seems like you had a great stay with us. Thank you for noting our affordable prices and central location as we these are two of our main selling points. I am sorry that you found some of our other guests noisy but am glad to hear that we supplied you with ear plugs to make your stay more comfortable.
I apologise that our elevators appeared to have a malfunction of some sort, we are planning to fully re-modernise this area to eradicate the problems you experienced. Thanks for pointing out our spacious facilities that you and your group were able to make full use of. I am surprised to hear that you didn’t enjoy our food menu in our Mint & Lime bar as normally this is an area where we receive such positive feedback.
It is always pleasing to hear our staff being complimented on their excellent customer service and I am delighted that you found them to be friendly and helpful. Thanks again for taking the time to review our Hostel and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Aussie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic location, staff very friendly & tolerable (there on a rowdy stag night) Bar fantastic with a great variety of beers! Room was clean & was ensuited!! Only downfall was the beds were very uncomfortable! Would return!!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi dinkydog, thanks for taking the time out to review our Hostel on Trip Advisor. It sounds like you had an excellent stay with us. I am sorry that you found our beds uncomfortable but and am glad that it didn’t put you off us too much and that you would return. Thanks for noting our Mint & Lime bar and our fantastic range of beverages - I am delighted to hear that it was to your taste!
Thanks again for your review and we would hope to welcome you again in the future!
Strontian, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed there two times. First Time it was noisy, but I thought, HEY, maybe I am just unlucky. The next time, in a different room, different side of the building- still noisy! The reception area and the bar are nice enough, but I paid 40 pounds per night, which I don't think is THAT cheap for a hostel room, so I at least want it to be quiet.

Moreover, the showe was crappy and overflooded the bathroom. Nonone asked me how my stay was,when I checked out, so I decided to post it in here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Gordon_Anthony86, General Manager at Euro Hostel Glasgow, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hi kasienkakl, thanks for taking the time out to review our hostel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that you found you stay with us noisy. We are a city centre hostel and as such are affected by ambient street noise however we do have double glazed windows which should block out the majority of this. Moreover we do rely on our guests to be considerate when it comes to noise but perhaps this didn’t happen on the occasions you stayed with us.
I apologise for the shower facilities, we do have planned maintenance programme in place for our showers that should alleviate the problems you experienced. I am surprised to hear that our reception staff enquired about your stay before you left as this is normally an area where we are very good but again let me say sorry for this oversight. We do take all feedback very positively and use it to improve our products and services going forward.
I do thank you again for your review and would hope that you would consider us again in the future.
Regina, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The room was an extremely odd set up with the sinks being on the opposite side as the toilets separated by a few walls and a bunk bed or two. It didn't seem that clean but not terribly dirty either. Kind of loud and the bar on the main floor stopped serving food at 845. But it is close to the downtown and shopping. Also cheap cheap.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hi nine2zero, thanks for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. It seems that you stay with us was a satisfactory one. I am sorry that you found the set-up of our rooms not to your liking and that the noise level was a bit loud for you. I apologise that you were unable to order food at 8.45pm as we do normally serve until 9pm.
I am glad that you found our Hostel to be reasonably priced and centrally located however. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you again.

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels