“Surprised that some people have no manners”

Euro Hostel Glasgow
Dirleton
“Surprised that some people have no manners”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

I am staying in this hotel now and the room is ok apart from: broken (still live) power socket that I've had to warn my young son about and missing smoke detector in the bathroom.

Breakfast was a surprise. I dont mind toast and cereal, but queuing for ages to get toast is annoying. Will be skipping tomorrow and going to MacDonalds instead. Staff should be toasting the bread and keeping some toasted and ready. Doesn'yt matter if its not warm. If you want the warm toast you can wait.

Worst thing of all about this hostel is the rudeness of some of the other guests. Yesterday a bunch of students walked in ahead of my son and I. The elevators take ages to come (we were going to floor 8 of 9) but we waited. The tourists seemed to get tired of waiting and took the stairs. But know what they did? They went up a floor from G to 1 and got into the lift there. When it came down to G the door opened then immediately closed as they closed the button before my son and I could get in. So thats the calibre of people you'll be sharing the place with. Same thing happened today with some other young tourist - but this time I managed to get my foot in the lift door before he headed off with it. There was a nice atmosphere in the lift then.

Nighttime was quieter than I expected apart from the (inevitable) idiots above jumping up and down at 12am. Not worth complaining about as it didn't last. My son slept through and I used earplugs as I always do in hostels / hotels. Nobody sneakily smoked in the room nearby so the air was fresh at night. Coming into the hostel door was awful. About a dozen smokers there at all times. Nothing to be done about that.

Disappointed with the broken mains socket but it works fine. My disappointment is that it was broken in the first place as (just like Devoncove) I can never understand why these things are left broken. Someone must go into the room and clean it or inspect it and then it should be repaired. Reading the reviews here before going was encouraging as manager answered some reviews and made me think he was on the ball.

I'll come here again. Cheaper than anywhere else and rude people are rude people. AS long as they don't keep jumping and whooping at all hours I don't mind.

History:
My son and I were used to staying in Devoncove hotel which was abysmal but cheap. I tried to book again there but they were too expensive and I decided I could not justify spending so much for the inevitable trouble we'd have. Euro hostel sounded cheap and cheerful but also professional so I thought I'd give it a go.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
WilliamMcClelland, Managing Director at Euro Hostel Glasgow, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of Euro Hostel Glasgow. It sounds like, although you enjoyed your stay overall, there are areas in which you feel we can improve. That is why we value such feedback as it allows us to identify problem areas and rectify them accordingly.

In regards to the broken socket in your room, I agree that this should have been picked up on earlier. Each room is cleaned and checked each day by the housekeeping department and a dangerous fault, such as a faulty socket, should have been identified and the relevant work carried out to repair it. The missing smoke detector that you refer to has actually been de-commissioned and our smoke detection systems are located inside every room. However, this should have been removed when the de-commission took place.

We do strive to offer value for money and believe that our complimentary continental breakfast provides this. However to have a dedicated member of staff to man our toaster would not allow us to offer such a service to our guests. At the same time, we do take your comments on board regarding the queuing system and will take steps to ensure a faster, more efficient experience at breakfast time.

I am disappointed that the fellow guests you encountered were not as considerate as you would have expected them to have been. Our entry points can become rather busy at peak times and unfortunately can mean a slight wait for our elevators, however, this does not condone the actions of the students you came across that day. As for the noise, our night-staff monitor our bedroom corridors regularly throughout the night for our guest’s comfort and safety.

The designated smoking area for guests is to the right of the main entrance and, as a result of the no smoking legislation in the UK our hands are tied slightly here. We are delighted to offer clean, non-smoking accommodation but believe that our smoking guests should have a convenient option also.

I’m glad that you have decided to give Euro Hostel another chance after spending your previous visits to Glasgow at a different hotel, and hope that the issues you experienced will not deter you from booking in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time to write your review and hope to see you again soon.

William

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cape Town
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

What a disappointment! After a surpisingly good stay in a competitor hostel in Edinburgh, we were quite dissatisfied by the standard of the Euro Hostel in Glasgow.
The overall building is drab and dingy, and many things broken or missing.
The room we were given was quite dreary, and while there was at least clean linen, the mattress was lumpy and dreadfully uncomfortable. The shower did not work properly and the toilet leaked noisily.
Lastly the breasfast (if you can call it that) was dreadful, comprising only stale cereals and funny milk, very watered down juice and thin, horrible bread. Instant chicory corre and tea,
We have had much better budget accommodation elsewhere, and would only advise Euro Hostel Glasgow as an absolute last resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main street, as ours overlooking bridge street was VERY noisy.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. I’m really sorry that your stay with us was not up to the standard of your enjoyable stay in Edinburgh. There is a very detailed preventative maintenance programme in place to ensure the hostel is in great condition and the hostel is due to have a full building refurbishment, beginning in 2012.

We do receive positive feedback for our complimentary continental breakfast but, again, I’m sorry that you did not enjoy it. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our breakfast service and will take your comments on board to help us do this.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review and making light of the far from perfect standards you found. Please be assured that we are constantly striving to improve our product and appreciate all feedback.

William

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

Positives: The front staff was friendly, patient, and helpful. The rooms were a bit bland, but I'm fine with that! They were reasonably clean, and kept clean. The building is like a low-budget hotel tower/apartment building. I was in a four-person female room, and found it all worked fine--the other guests in my room were always respectful, quiet, and friendly. Because it's not a "fun" hostel, the guests were mostly in their mid-twenties and above; the hostel welcomes any age, and I quite appreciated the level-headed aura thanks to having some more mature guests (I even rode the elevator with a man with a walker!).

Not so positives: Our bathroom light was burnt out for my entire stay (although a worker was scheduled to come after the weekend). The free wifi is only accessible from within the pub, and I'm not a fan of paying £4 a day, or whatever it is...

Room Tip: Get a room on an upper floor for quieter stay, and prettier view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Hi There,

Thanks for taking time to review Euro Hostel Glasgow on Trip Advisor. I’m delighted you enjoyed the atmosphere in the hostel and as you quite rightly state we welcome travellers of all ages. We find by doing this we create, as you have put it quite aptly,` a ‘level-headed’ atmosphere, however, we hope we are able to accommodate those seeking a bit more in our fun-loving city.

In regards to the maintenance issue with the shower light, I’m sorry that this could not be resolved to your satisfaction during your stay. You will be pleased to know that since your stay there is now weekend maintenance cover so that any issues can be resolved urgently.

We provide free wi-fi in the bar but do charge in other areas of the hostel. We have found that this allows customers to experience excellent internet speeds.

Thanks again for your review and hope to see you again soon.

Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Hi there,
The Euro-Hostel is great.For sure, its no 4-nor 5-star hotel, but you get a clean room plus bathroom (to be safe bring your own desinfection spray) .

Its true, you can hear some noise from the streets, but its not too loud and you get used to it easiely and will sleep very properly.
Someone who wants to safe some money and prefers to spend more on exiting day-trips (for example with Timberbush) or some nice food in a very good restaurant should stay here.

We´ll definitly come back

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sachsenlinda
WilliamMcClelland, Managing Director at Euro Hostel Glasgow, responded to this review, July 9, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with in Glasgow. You are right we're not a 4 star hotel but we agree that staying with us gives guests more available cash to enjoy this fabulous city. The hostel is located right in the city centre so do get some noise from the street but we replacing all of our windows later this year as soon as the necessary planning permission has been obtained.

Thanks again for your review and I hope you choose to stay in Euro Hostel next time you're in Glasgow.

Bristol, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

My partner and I are over 50 and have done our share of globe-hopping over the years, staying in YHA hostels so, when we decided to see Glasgow, we chose value over luxury. I have to confess that I fully expected to find the experience rather uncomfortable, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Glasgow Euro Hostel.

As other reviewers have said elsewhere, the accommodation is basic - well, at these kind of prices you'd hardly expect 5 stars! - but nor does one expect to get a double room with en-suite bathroom, plenty of hot water, a simple but adequate self-service buffet breakfast until 10 am.

The place is clean, comfortable and the staff were very helpful; when we enquired about City Tours they sold us a ticket for 2 days hop-on-and-off at a £1 discount each and supplied us with a helpful map of the City centre to help us plan our itinerary.

We were able to do our laundry for just £5 for both of us and there is even a chill-out room - though we didn't visit it, being chilled enough by the unseasonal wind that blew throughout our stay! :oD

The bar, Osmosis, seemed laid-back and they serve Crabbies - that's all I cared about! mmmm!

Frankly, if you are looking to spend your cash on seeing Glasgow, rather than the accommodation, I can definitely recommend the Glasgow Euro Hostel: straight forward, clean and great views of the City!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.

It sounds like you had a good time with us and we seemed to exceed your expectations as we do with a lot of guests. I am always very pleased when guests comment on our excellent staff - we pride ourselves on offering a service which is second to none and all our team are on hand to deal with any guests enquiries.

Our bar is very popular and I am pleased you were happy with the products we stock. We are in fact going to make our bar much better later this month by doing a full refurbishment and introducing a full food menu which will be available all day until 9pm.

Thanks again for your review and I hope to see you in Glasgow again soon.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

This hostel was in a good location right on the river Clyde; easily accessible by bus or train or airport shuttle bus. Check in was easy, and I got the room I'd paid for (no problems with overbooking or anything). The room was an 8 person female dorm and had two showers, toilets and sinks, and more than enough large lockers for the number of beds. Also had ample plugin outlets, although some were hidden behind lockers, under beds, etc. There were stairs and elevators to move between floors, although I had trouble getting my keycard to work in the elevator and to get into the stairwell. Breakfast was provided; cereal, milk, juice, water, fruit, bread/toast, condiments... lots to choose from, and they do dishes for you. WIFI wasn't free unless you were in the bar on the main floor, but for a couple pounds you get 24 hrs of access, so I would call it worth it. I couldn't find anything to complain about there, and would certainly stay again. :)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Thanks for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.

It is good to hear that you generally enjoyed your stay with us. In an effort to increase security for our guests we do have card activated door locks and elevators, I am not aware of any problems with the system but have requested this is looked into.

I have noted your comments about power sockets and the maintenance team will relocate the lockers away from the power sockets.

Thanks again for your review and I hope to see you in Glasgow again soon.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

I stayed at the Euro Hostel in Glasgow for a total of 5 nights (4 on arrival in Scotland, 1 just prior to departing). The hostel is about a 10-15 minute walk from Queen Street Station, and an even shorter walk from Central Station. The check-in desk is manned 24 hours a day by staff that are very responsive to guests' needs. There is a nightclub/pub (Osmosis) on the first floor that has free WiFi (get the log in code from the hostel check-in desk). There are also internet-ready computers available in the lobby. You can also pay 4 pounds and be able to access WiFi in your room for 24 hours (I think there's a weekly rate as well).

Kitchen facilities are available for guest use. There's also a laundry room and chill-out room/lounge.

Security is pretty good - you need your room key card to access the stairwell and elevator. Rooms are en suite, which is really convenient. The shower stalls are pretty small - no saving water by showering with a friend here - but there's plenty of hot water and the pressure is good, even on the upper floors. I found the beds and bedding to be clean and pretty comfortable. Towels are provided in the private rooms, but you can also rent them from the desk if you didn't bring your own. There were lockers in the 4-person dorm room I stayed in (need to provide your own lock) for a little extra security.

One important thing to keep in mind is that this hostel does attract a younger, university-aged crowd. It can get a bit noisy during the evenings and at night (there's also noise from the nearby train tracks and the busy streets as well). Pack some earplugs to wear for a better night's sleep.

Overall, this is a good, few-frills value if you're looking for a clean and safe place to sleep and have a wash-up on occasion. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Hi There,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. It sounds like you had a good time with us in Glasgow.

Our location is second to none being right in the centre of Glasgow and most attractions, shops, bars and restaurants are in walking distance from the hostel.

We take security of our guests very seriously, I am delighted you were happy with the measures in place. Due to our City centre location and number of guests staying with us we do from time to time experience some noise. Recpetion stock earplugs now and these are available free of charge.

Thanks again for your review and I hope we can see you soon again.