“Delightful and delicious food ! Must try !”
Review of Daawat Indian Restaurant - CLOSED

Daawat Indian Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: We are just behind St Enoch Centre Serving Lunch and dinner
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delightful and delicious food ! Must try !”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My family is very fond of Indian food and we have been trying Indian cuisines in various restaurants. I happened to visit this restaurant to order food for a small get together at home as referred by my friend as a good option for an Indian food.
Manager of the restaurant was very friendly and helped us to set the right menu for our get together and the best part he gave us a very good deal. Next day the delivery was bang on time, which really impressed me. The quantity of the food in the given price was excellent and above all food was awesome. Each person came in the party had something nice to say about the food.
This is a surprise addition to my favorite restaurant. So far I have only tried vegetarian food, therefore I will definitely recommend it for the vegetarians.
If you don't care too much about ambiance and give damn only about food, taste and its quality, you must try this restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank sushil k

Glasgow
“Nice enough meal”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I recently visited Mama Rasoi's using a voucher which included a 3 course meal for two people.

I had read other reviews about this restaurant on trip adviser and went with really high expectations. I have to say I left slightly disappointed.

The restaurant is right behind the St Enoch's centre and is more like a cafe and we were the only two customers during our visit so the atmosphere wasn't great although a few people did come in for takeaway. The restaurant was well laid out and nicely decorated. The staff were friendly and attentive.

With the voucher deal the starter was a sharing combination platter consisting of chicken, fish and veg pakora, we asked to substitute the fish pakora and this was substituted with mushroom pakora. There was also 2 veg samosas. The starter came with two dips. It was nice enough although the pakora sizes were rather tiny.

For the main course there was the choice of 8 or 9 curries to choose from which was good. The main course also came with one portion of rice and one naan bread to share amongst two. I had the South Indian Garlic Chilli curry which although was nice enough the sauce was very watery, any other time I have had it the sauce has been a lot thicker.

Dessert was two scoops of vanilla ice-cream each.

Extra's we paid for were 2 diet Ir bru's (in a glass not a can) at £1.75 each and a black coffee at £2.75.

As i say the meal was nice enough but I would say I have had better and I have had worse. I would go back to this restaurant if I was in the area but I wouldn't go out my way to rush back.

• Visited September 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Deja Vu at Mama's”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I reviewed this restaurant a few months ago and gave a glowing report. I've been a few times since and it's just as good so I thought it warranted an updated review.

We went on a Friday evening on a voucher deal which, to be fair, you don't have to do as they have their own special offers which are just as good. We knew what we intended ordering before we got there and we also picked up our own wine on route as it's a byob place at only £1.50 each. This is a good initiative as wine has become the most expensive part of a meal out so I hope they never apply for a licence.

We ordered spiced onions and poppadums as an appetizer and whilst a bit pricey at £3.45, as noted by other reviewers, they were fresh and tasty. Ordered our chicken chaat and chicken pakora to start and again they were fresh and very tasty. For mains, we've grown accustomed to lamb kadai which is lamb with a sauce containing many spices as well as peppers, chillies, ginger and garlic. You can guess this one is in the spicy category but it's great. Tried it with chicken this time. Whilst good, stick to the lamb. We always share a chicken and lamb dish so we opted for a lamb curry with spinach. Great choice and for sides it was boiled rice with peas and a naan bread.

As always the staff were attentive and friendly and made no attempt to rush you out the door. They cannot be faulted. As last time, I thoroughly recommend this restaurant hence the reason I'll go back time and again.

Give it a go.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank almaref
Glasgow
“Fantastic hidden gem”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Booked this last minute online, not expecting much, but pleasantly surprised. It was for a family birthday get together before the rest of the family flew back to Australia. We were seated in a booth initially which was a bit of a squish for 7, but after our delicious starters, and a few other patrons had left, they offered to move two central tables together and we moved over for a bit more elbow room. All the food was amazing, with good portion sizes, they even boxed up our leftover meal, when my nieces only nibbled at their starters and were full up. My brother in law must have been chatting as he paid the bill (very reasonable with online offer) and mentioned it was my mum's birthday meal, and they brought out a special dessert plate with a candle in it! The only down sides were the location, tucked away behind St Enochs, and the lack of licence meant no alcohol on offer, 'tho I think you can bring a bottle?

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank glasgow1975
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Indian in the heart of Glasgow.”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The service was good, food delicious and location great. We ended up here because the recommended restaurants were booked out and another was flooded. Very pleased we found this place and highly recommend it. Good range of dishes and spices.

Visited October 2012