Devoncove Hotel
Argyll Hotel(Glasgow)
  • Pool
  • Room Service
1,181 results
All reviewscity centrewest endkelvingrove parkbreakfast was excellentshampooironpubsuniversity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 30, 2008

This is a dump, the reception and lobby are the best parts and they are awful, the rooms are dank, unkempt and in poor decor and very poor repair. The receptionist is as welcoming as a dose of the flu, avoid at all costs, I mean really bad!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Verydissapointed
Reviewed April 6, 2008

never mind any of the previous reviews about this hotel i'll sort it out once and for all!!!!!! Myself, the wife and another couple arrived at the devoncove for a 2 night stay. got out of the taxi and went in through the front doors to be greeted by a lobby full of dust and dirt - not a good start. got the keys to the room and after 2 secs of entering the rooms(nothing to what they look like on their website) we had enough, went back to reception told the lad in charge what we thought of the hotel and demanded our money back. in fairness he was rather understanding and gave us our money back and we left in a hurry. Also just as we were leaving another lady was demanding her money back and was checking out also - she wasn't a happy camper at all!! to all those who have reviewed this hotel favourably before i would say that you are easily pleased or BLIND. the hotel is rundown and is falling apart and in my own opinion needs to be gutted and a complete overhual undertaken. was talking to the taxi driver on our way to our other hotel and he told us that it was a rundown dirty kip that the managment dont care about. You have been warned.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank lenny1976
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Booked a 2 day break with my wife to do some shopping in Glasgows wonderful shopping centre but the whole stay was spoilt by staying at this hotel. Our room was on the first floor and we found at 2am in the morning to be also occupied by a bunch of drunken yobo's. They continued to party until 6.30am despite several complaints to the hotel management. The yobs even decided to erect 2 ironing boards outside our room and do some ironing. The night manager apologised and promised a reduction in our bill but when we booked out the receptionist denied any knowledge of the trouble. Several other guests made similar complaints.
On the plus side the room was OK and the breakfast fine. We reported faults with the room hairdryer which was ignored.
My advice is don't book this hotel as there as many others in the area to pick from.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lespowell
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I got a bit worried when i read some of the previous reviews but i can say we really enjoyed our four night stay in the Devoncove. The room had everything you would expect of such a hotel, beds were comfy, Room was warm, just a well (Minus five during our stay!) The breakfast was good, as much as you could eat & was hot, staff were very helpfull. The hotel is situated a good 10-15 mins walk into the city centre, which wasn't a problem for us but may not the suit eldery or childern.

Overall we enjoyed our first time time Glasgow and would stay in the Devoncove again.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed December 31, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as we were in Glasgow visiting family and friends but at the same time wished to have our own space.

I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor so knew not to expect to much. As we are from Glasgow originally we knew the location of the hotel was good. The hotel is basic and I would agree with previous reviews that the hotel is in need of refurbishment, although some work has been carried out. I had called the hotel prior to arriving and asked that our room be upgraded to a superior room as I had noticed, on the hotels webite, that these rooms were £10 extra. The receptionisht was very honest and admitted that she didn't know why they advertised superior rooms the only difference was that they were larger and quite often you were given these rooms on arrival anyway. She then checked which room we were in and advised that in her opinion we had been allocated the best room.

When we arrived we were given our key card which didn't open the door. I returned to reception and was told it should now work, but it didn't. Another trip to reception and we were allocated another room. I advised the receptionist that I had been told that the original room was the best and if possilble I would like to keep it. I was advised that the 2nd room was the same, a suite. We went to this room and were disappointed, the door was difficult to close and the paint was flaking on the ceiling and the room smelled damp. There was no way I could stay in the room so returned to reception were a helpful gentleman managed to get us access to our original room. This room was better though there was still a damp smell. The room was large though definately shouldn't be called a suite. The bathroom and bed linen were clean and the rooms were cleaned daily. We didn't bother going for breakfast whilst we stayed there. The staff we met were always helpful and pleasant.

It's a shame the owners haven't invested in refurbishing the hotel as it is in a very good location. The lift could be vastly improved with new flooring and as it's not large could be achieved for about £20.

We had lunch one day in the Big Slope (cross the road and go right, it's on the 2nd corner) and would recommend the food. Excellent quality at bar prices.

I would rate this hotel as a 2* rather than a 3*.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple