“Good value and excellent service”
Review of Devoncove Hotel

Devoncove Hotel
Ranked #90 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good value and excellent service”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Me and 2 work collegues have recently stayed here for 2 weeks. there is private parking but it is limited and the roadside parking is very cheap, excellent rooms that are clean and cofortable, some are a little small and others are very roomy, pot luck i guess. always helpful staff when we spoke to them and 24 hour reception served our needs well. all you can eat breakfast buffet, limited choice but very good value. rooms are clean and freshly made up daily, although some could do with a little attention to detail, but for the extremely low rates we were charged (less that travelodge) it is perfectly acceptable.all have tea/coffe, iron, tv/dvd, safe and hairdriers, free wifi and parking when available, and inclusive breakfast, so we were all very impressed, Thanks

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

First impressions were good, although I didn't realise how long Sauchiehall Street is! The hotel is about a twenty minute walk from the start of it. I assumed we would be right in the mix of the busy city centre but its a bit further out opposite Glasgow Uni and Kelvingrove Park which is a nice area.

Check in was at 3pm but we arrived around midday to drop our bags off which was no problem. The hotel lobby was very nice but sadly the rest of the hotel is not up to the same standard. We got a double room on the 2nd Floor (room 224) which faced Sauchiehall Street. Looking at the fire escape plan it seems we got the smallest room on the floor which irked me as we were staying two nights and booked & paid for the room months in advance. The room itself was basic but seemed to have everything required although it could do with some investment as it was a bit tired.

Tea and coffee facilities were provided, however ours were dirty from the last person! Also be warned they use the cheapest of the cheap stuff and it did not taste good, so bring your own tea bags if your fussy! We managed to get connected to the Wifi on the first night, after trying for a while but after that it would not allow us to connect so we ended up using the hotel next to us wifi!!!

The single glazing windows were the biggest downfall for this hotel. How, in 2013, when the whole function for this establishment is too provide a good nights sleep for its customers, and is in the center of a big city, it has not invested in decent windows is beyond me! Every drunk walking past, and every car driving by, can be heard so clearly that I got up both nights I stayed there just to recheck the window wasn't open! Sauchiehall Street is a busy street full of drunken folk staggering about at all hours and taxi's going by every minute, it was a nightmare!

I managed to get about 5 hours of interrupted sleep on the Friday night, which was enough for me to function the next day but with the arrival of a noisy drunks next to our room on the Saturday, sleeping was nearly impossible. The walls are paper thin you can hear everything in the room next to you. So the couple that decided to have an hour long argument at 2.30am only made my quest to sleep even harder. I think I got about 1-2 hours sleep on the Saturday night. I felt awful the next day and it really ruined the weekend.

I would describe breakfast as chaotic. It is served 7.30-9.30 at the weekend and due to the sleeping issues we came down as late as we could. It seemed most of the guests did the same, and with nothing laid out in any real order every one was getting in everyone elses way trying to find a teaspoon or bit of bacon! A fully cooked breakfast is not provided, it is just beans, bacon, tattie scones and eggs. The coffee was not very nice, and again hard to locate, it might be an idea to mark the flasks with their contents! As expected by now, all the ingredients were of the budget variety.

Okay, the hotel is cheap, but so what? They certainly have nothing that would justify paying more than £40 a night. I feel a bit conned to be honest. They do up there hotel lobby nicely (which you will never use I might add) take a few pictures of it, thus giving you a false impression that the hotel is of a decent standard. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, indeed I wouldn't stay in it again if they paid me! I need to sleep and this is no place to do it!

I felt compelled to write this review as it annoyed me so much, Devencove, sort it out.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Calum B
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights over the weekend visiting family in Glasgow. Hotel is easy to find along Sauchiehall street, a 20min walk from city centre or £4 taxi. Upon arrival the reception and bar area are all very nice however the room is sadly far below the standard set in the lobby. We had a big hole in the bathroom door that someone had obviously had a fight with! One of the curtains were hanging off so couldn't shut the curtains properly. It has single glazed sash windows so noise at the weekend is quite high within this heavily populated student area. We had no remote for the tv, I had to ask 3 times at reception because he kept forgetting. The heating was hardly ever on, for me was fine but the wife would be cold in the sahara desert!! Breakfast was the worst, ours was included in the room rate however it is normally £10pp which is a rip off. They have standard toasters so it takes five minutes to wait which was hell when you have 10-15 people queuing for toast. The selection of food was dissapointing, bacon, sausage, beans and fried eggs was all that was available. No hash browns, black pudding, tomato, mushrooms or any of the lovely good stuff you would expect from something labelled "cooked breakfast", definitely not worth the money. They have a free car park to the rear but do hurry as there are only about 20 spaces and its very cramped. Luckily for me it was the weekend so I could park for free at the front of the hotel, pay and display during the week.
Nothing at the hotel would make me return, but certainly not the worst place I've stayed.

1 Thank ChrisSavage
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here as couple for a Friday and a Saturday in February. The stay cost us £22.50 pppn including breakfast and wifi. We parked and checked in easily as I had already paid online to secure the price. The normal rack rate is £140 a night for the double we were in.
Our room was 119 on the first floor overlooking Sauchiehall Street.
The room was very clean and was well decorated in a neutral style. The room was a decent size. The mattress was a little uncomfortable and could do with being upgraded. The duvet cover kept coming off as it had no fasteners at the bottom. This revealed stains on the duvet which was off-putting. I would have thought using mattress, duvet and pillow protectors in a hotel this size was a good idea.
The room was very warm at night so we turned the radiator down.
The bathroom was compact but all fixtures and fittings worked well and I enjoyed a lovely bath. It was very clean throughout the room and bathroom.
Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment as all the cooked food had been prepared in advance and was sitting on the bar. However, for the price and the number of guests it must be the most efficient way of doing things. The first morning we came down it was very, very cold in the dining room so the next morning we came down in an extra jumper which was much better.
There's the usual juices, cereals and toast machine. Coffee wasn't great but you can have as much as you like. Bacon, fried eggs, beans and potato scones are all plentiful. But no tomatoes, mushrooms or sausages (removed because of horsemeat scare maybe?). Staff in dining room a bit sullen but no-one else tipped apart from us so maybe that's why.
All in all an excellent bargain city break. Great location with 10 mins to Kelvingrove, 15 mins walk into town which leaves you ideally placed to explore the city. There are some excellent restaurants within a five minute walk too and some decent pubs if you don't fancy venturing too far after a long drive like us.
I heartily recommend this place for the price I paid. If I'd paid the £140 rack rate I would not have been so impressed.

Room Tip: We were in room 119 on the first floor facing Sauchiehall Street. It wasn't noisy at all and gav...
1 Thank Frambolina
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for three nights, visiting Friends. Room was lovely, small but hight ceilings. Shower was hot, TV, tea making facilities, hairdryer, ironing board/Iron and a safe are all provided. Buffet breakfast was good, no sausages on offer, but hey... no big deal. Staff were friendly but not overly in any way. All good. Except the noise. The rooms have studded plaster walls, and you can hear everything. On the first night I had two drunken guys next door which didn't help, and groups were heard coming in and out all night. I was woken pretty much every twenty minutes by someone shouting and swearing walking past my room and the landing was like an echo chamber. Last time I heard another group past my door it was 5.10am so it was all night. I was on the 2nd floor, not too far away from the lifts. The next two nights weren't as bad, the last night being the best, but I wouldn't stay here again for this reason. I was in two minds to ask to be moved, but wasn't entirely sure if it would make that much difference. Anyway, not a bad Hotel but the rooms just leak in sound. Looking at the fire escape plans it would seem as if most rooms have plaster walls as the building had at one time been mainly open plan. Only twenty minutes walk into town though, and its far enough out of the way of the mayhem of Sauchiehall Street

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the lifts and the landing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jamie B
canterbury
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Good clean hotel with excellent breakfast and only paid £45 for a double room b&b. My second stay at this hotel. And would definitely use again. It's just a 10 minute walk to bars and restaurants on sauchiehall street and the Greek restaurant straight across the street from the hotel was amazing.

Room Tip: The Greek restraint across the street is amazing!
1 Thank weeme_7
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked this hotel as I had an early morning dental appointment a few streets away. I was pleasantly surprised. I paid £39.00 in total for a twin en-suite (b&b). Check in was simple with a cheerful greeting on arrival. The room was compact (room 211). Clean room, with compact en-suite bathroom. No complaints on the size of room, and the staff were all incredibly helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend a pair of long sleeved pyjama's as the room was cool in the evening. My only complaint was the freezing cold shower in the morning that was impossible to heat up. Breakfast was great, with something to suit everyone's taste. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear facing room if you like it quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family