“Nicer than it looks”
Review of Devoncove Hotel

Devoncove Hotel
Ranked #87 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had business at the University so this hotel is ideally placed, being up the west end of Sauchiehall Street. It is also just a short bus ride away from Byres Rd shopping and very close to the Kelvingrove Museum. It looks almost grotty from outside but is pleasant and modern inside with a roomy reception and bar. I had a disastrous check in - paid cash which they didn't like at all and then couldn't remember the pin number of my credit card. They caved in the end, but the previous reviewer was right that they should make this clearer. I had a standard double which was clean and modern with a TV and integral DVD player. The room was quiet, with no audible sound from other rooms. Squashed bathroom but fine. Agree about the poor breakfast - they advertise a full Scottish but you get a poor quality fry up, served with a bad grace by two sour faced ladies. My £65 per night did include breakfast though. All in all, not a bad experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bowbelle

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed overnight on 1st December. Booked a twin room(B+B) for £45. We booked the hotel because of the price as we were at a concert at a Venue on Sauchiehall street. Basically just wanted somewhere to lie down.

When we opened the room door we were impressed by the size,quality and cleanliness of the room.

Don't understand why anyone complains about the noise. Our room was front-facing and had an undisturbed night's sleep.

Only negative comment was the quality of service at breakfast which was a bit grumpy. However the food was perfectly acceptable.

Overall a pleasant stay well worth the money.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank David F
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We booked the hotel for its location,its a very basic hotel,needs updating.Breakfast was very poor,two very sour faced ladies(with very broken english) served us from behind the bar with our hot breakfast,we asked for full english thats not what we got,they threw what was left on our plate.very poor quality,it would be much better if they left the paying customers to help themselves,the food is being kept warm in the big bain marie,the fried eggs sat on the bar...quite a weird set up.even if the staff were cheery it would help.Also staff wearing flip flops,surely a health and saftey issue,I know you get what you pay for,but this place could be so much better.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed many times but seems not to get to the next level.
Poor Standard of Check in, Not very welcoming at night either.

Please be very wary of giving you card details as they prefer to take Pre Authorisation on arrival, Which is fine but it is explained very poorly at check in.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Spent two night here over the weekend of 23rd and 24th November. For me it was the perfect location as I was visiting friends in the West End so thats where we were eating and drinking. I managed to get a space in the car park but its small and the lane in is full of pot holes.

My room was a good size with a double bed so thats a bonus when you book a single. It was at the back so pretty quiet although the same could not be said of the neighbours! I had a problem with no hot water in the shower on Friday night which was only discovered after an initial burst of hot water which only lasted a few seconds but long enough to get wet. It was fixed for the morning so no more problems there. Room was a bit cold.

Breakfast was not great. Beans and sausages in particular were of poor quality and the toasters were completely useless and never produced toast. A little bit more attention to detail in the Breakfast Area and better quality food would greatly enhance the expeprience. Staff serving breakfast did not seem overly happy in their work.

There is some work going on and hopefully this will improve the hotel as it does have the potential to really good and as stated before, its location is excellent.

Room Tip: I loked the back of the hotel. It was quieter. I would not like one of the basement rooms though.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at The Devoncove on 24 November, and, as a place to rest your weary head after a night on the town , it was okay. The hotel seemed to be in the midst of refurbishment when we visited and our room demonstrated this: leaky radiator valve, loose wc flusher, door facing hanging off, lack of grouting in areas of the bathroom etc etc. If the room had been properly snagged before it was deemed suitable for letting, these issues would have been sorted- so maybe just a little more attention to detail required- but all of these issues are eminently fixable. When we arrived the room was absolutely freezing - a combination of the window being jammed open and the radiator not being on. One wrestle with the window later, and a call to reception (who altered the zone valve!) and all was sorted- but again, this could have been avoided.
Apart from these niggles, which all relate to a common symptom - lack of attention to detail, my only other gripes relate to the paper thin walls (they really do allow lots of noise transfer), and the questionable breakfast organisation, which a time and motion person would have a field day with. Total lack of organisation with a less than efficient queuing system, harrassed staff and a bank of domestic toasters which take an age to brown your bread- Come on Mr Devoncove, splash some cash on a couple of commercial "conveyor belt" toasters, your guests will appreciate it! Invest in some quality sausages too, while I think about it.

On the plus side, the shower was excellent, The bed was comfy, the WiFi worked well and the Reception Staff were helpful and welcoming.

Maybe it's unfair to judge the hotel on the basis of a single night stay during a period of refurbishment, but I hope that in pointing these issues out, the management will make the necessary adjustments to ensure that future guests don't require to draw such issues to staff attention . The Devencove provides good value for money, but customers will go elsewhere and pay more for it, unless the rough edges are ironed out.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had stayed here before and booked three rooms for a business trip with friends - I tried to pay my bill several times and was told it was fine to wait until we were leaving, however when I left this morning the person on reception was so rude and ignorant that he eventually told me by card was being declined. One of my colleagues had to then use his card which was accpeted, however after checking my account - which had sufficient funds I discovered that this hotel had actually carged me the day before I left and also charged my friend - this matter is now in the hands of the police but I would strongly advise people to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business