“Outstanding service. To-die-for Suites” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow

Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Outstanding service. To-die-for Suites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

My partner and I visited in December 2010 for a pre-Christmas trip.
Upon arrival we were greeted very nicely at the door and our bags were whisked away immediately, which was nice.
Hotel staff then checked us in, but we had to wait about 20 mins for our room to be ready. However, this was okay as we arrived at around 10.30am and weren't expecting to be allowed in til 3pm - so i'm not complaining!
We had some very nice drinks in the bar - although, first advice, a pint is about £4.20 so go somewhere alse for that!

We were taken to our room by a nice man JOHN who must be credited. He couldn't have been more attentive.

The room was a Corner Suite on the 'Love Is....' package - and it was amazing.
I actaully thought when John opened the door that we were going through someone's house or private room to get to ours it was so good!
The decor was lovely and there was so much space.
And all day and night someone would come to the door with gifts - strawberries, fruit, bottled water, champagne, flowers..... So worth the money.

The only problems we had are as follows:

1) I asked TWICE on the phone for a smoking room and upon arrival could not find an ashtray. So I called reception to ask, and they said they would check and call back - but didn't. So I smoked anyway. They obviously made a mistake and tried to avoid me.

2) The room was clean and tidy, however me and my partner noticed hairs in the bath and finger prints on the mirrors etc... plus some fittings in the bathroom had come loose and looke messy and one of the 2 TVs had a mind of its own, was obviously broken.

3) The bed was a little hard for me.

4) On reading reviews before going, may had said the pool was shut when they were there. And when we arrived, we were told the same. Why have a pool to keep it closed all the time? HOWEVER - they did apologise and say if we wanted to use a pool, they would get us a free taxi to a partner hotel round the corner so that we could use theirs instead - free. All we had to do was let them know if we wanted to go. So that wasn't so bad.

5) Beautiful breakfast in-room. Yum! Only fault - our milk jug had no milk in it. Ooops!

I am one who can't help but notice blips, and these are minor. Overall it was fantastic. The rooms were outstanding and service was great too. Will definately be back. 9/10

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HotelHannah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

We couldn't fault our two night stay at the Radisson, the service from arrival and valet parking to the response to a problem with the television in the room was excellent. We went to shop and dine out. The hotel is lovely and the location is so central that we were within walking distance of everywhere we wanted to go. Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

This hotel is one of the better business hotels in Glasgow and I stay here fairly often. I have recorded room preferences for a quiet room. However, during my last stay I was kept up by music coming from an evening Christmas party. In bed at 11.30 and fed up of listening to the noise by 12.30 I called down to reception. Nobody answered the phone so I wound up going downstairs. While the staff were sympathetic, there were no free rooms so I couldn't be moved to a higher floor - I just had to wait until the party stopped which I was promised would be at 1am and this was in fact the case. Scant compensation when I had to be up early for a meeting though! In addition, I found that the plug on my iron was broken so that the live pins were showing when plugged in - as I got up late due to lack of sleep, I braved frying myself and used it anyway!

Next day I complained to reception and they put me in touch with duty manager Amy, who offered to knock the cost of the food off my bill. This seems a bit meagre given that there are cards in every room offering 100% client satisfaction 'if we can't make it right, you won't pay'. What it should say is 'if we can't make it right, we'll knock the price of an omelette off your bill'! I did negotiate to get the value of the food in gold points as refunding me only refunds my company and it's me that's had the poor service (why do so few business hotels get that?!). I would agree with other reviewers that this Radisson hotel is particularly bad at recognising its Elite Goldpoints members - you'll get a little welcome card from the manager but precious little else to suggest they recognise your loyalty - particularly when things go wrong. Suspect they don't need to look after their regular customers as they're always busy.

Have rated this hotel well in the past and it still has a standout gym (LA Fitness), free wifi and the rooms are generally of a high standard - just starting to look a little tired. Service these days tends to be pretty average - it used to be stand-out too. Overall I'd still recommend this hotel, but Goldpoints members don't expect any of the usual little perks and stay away until Christmas season is over! I am back in Glasgow next week and have booked into the Malmaison on West George St nearby which is a good alternative with better food (though avoid in Summer - no a/c).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank apeatlondon
Scarborough, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2010

Having stayed in various Radisson hotels previously we opted for this one for our trip to Glasgow. In comparisson to the other hotels in Glasgow on this weekend, the rates offered here were very competative. The hotel has been well designed and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. However, there was just something that wasnt quite as good as other Raddisson Hotels we have previously stayed in (Durham & Leeds). I am not quite sure what it was- the staff werent as helpful- but certainly werent unhelpful. There was nothing wrong with the room other than it was all fitted at a strange angle. I cant quite put my finger on it.
It is in a central location and the bar drinks are expensive, as you would expect.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jmac10
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

I stayed one night over the weekend to do some Christmas shopping with my wife, which meant the hotel was perfect location-wise. Right in the city centre! The lady (her name escapes me) that checked us in was lovely, and had plenty of time for us despite it being reasonably busy.

The room was nice, clean, and had a heated bathroom floor! There was some renovation work going on on our floor, which surprisingly didn't disturb us atall.

We ate in the restaurant at night, which was nice and quiet. The staff were lovely, but the food was quite expensive for what it was. There was a cheaper menu available, but none of the choices on it were taking my fancy. After an average nights sleep, we returned to the restaurant for breakfast, which was extensive and certainly satisfied me (which is unusual)! The waiter (Stephen) was the same as the previous night, and upon seeing us welcomed us back. Again, despite the restaurant being busy, he had the time to chat to us about our night/day, and even insisted on bringing us our drinks over from the buffet since we had forgotten to pick them up.

Check out took quite long, but this was unavoidable and the staff dealt with it well. I had no real issue with the hotel apart from the pool being closed, but after a long days shopping even this wasn't much of a problem for me. I would definately return!

Fort William, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

myself and my husband stayed in this hotel for our honeymoon, so we payed over the odds for a superior room in a 5 star hotel with swimming pool and spa, which normally we could never justify spending that amount of money on a hotel but we made an exception on this occation. the room was nice, clean and spacious but not what i would have expected from a 5 star superior, and the swimming pool wasn't in working order which was a big disapointment as this was made us decide on this hotel, there wasn't anything wrong with this hotel but there just wasn't anything special that i would have expected for what we paid, i have stayed in far cheaper hotels that were just as nice for a fraction of the price

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

The hotel was lovely, staff were friendly & helpful, rooms were huge & spotless, bathroom spotless too & had heated floor tiles which were great. Tthe bed was a bit soft for my liking but still got a great sleep...maybe due to the free champagne in the room when we arrived, as I had mentioned it was our anniversary, lovely touch!
Very impressed & would love to stay again if we could get a great deal like we did on this occasion!
Unfortunately the swimming pool attached was closed, shame as we had been looking forward to a swim & sauna, not the hotels fault though!