“Great Hotel”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow
Ranked #32 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed September 16, 2007

I have been fortunate to stay in the Radisson Glasgow on a number of visits to Glasgow on Business and after staying in most of the other supposedly top hotels in the city this one really is the best. The rooms are contemporary and spacious and the wet room bathroom is a nice added touch. I have always found the staff friendly and the service first class and of course the location is also very convenient with the hotel being right next to central station. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a first class hotel in Glasgow.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank i-am-lost-again!
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow

Reviewed September 16, 2007

Spent 1 night in Glasgow's SAS Radisson. LOts of hype and expectations about this new 5 star hotel.

Location is excellent for access to the city centre.

Checkin was efficient and quick, although no offer of concierge to take bags to the room while we had a coffee after a long drive.

The room we stayed in was on the 6th floor with no view of the city, only another towerblock, although not too fussed as this is city center. Room was very clean and in resonable order although a light did not work and the plug on the iron was cracked with wires exposed.

Breakfast was the let down of the stay. We had to que for 15 minuites to be seated, when we were seated there was no applogy or explanation for the wait. We were told tea and toast would be brought to the table and after 10 minuites we had to ask. The toast has still not arrived to this day. There seemed to be no organisation of staff in the restaurant, although there was plenty of them. The breakfast was a buffett style with plenty to choose from and the quality of the food was good. Although for a 5 star hotel I would have expected a cooked to order and waitress service.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank matthewvl
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Booked a business class room to celebrate our anniversary. After reading of soft beds, I requested a firm bed on the white space of the internet booking form. On arrival at room, bed was very soft, so I contacted reception who said that website not working properly, not giving them special requests - strange as I could access those details using my name and the booking ref they gave me. They offered to put a board under the bed, but it already had one, so clearly they don't make a difference. They couldn't find a replacement mattress so upgraded us to a corner suite with an orthopedic bed.

Whilst suite was nice, to be honest I have been in cleaner rooms and the curtain pull was not connected and no instructions in room for coffee machine. A few little things that should be right in a hotel of this class. Also it was a smoking room with no ventilation at all. I got the staff to leave a Fabreze spray for me to use regularly as very strong smell soon came back.

Bed was very comfortable. Following morning shower, hairdryer wouldn't work, so I rang for a replacement. This came but still didn't work in the socket next to the mirror. Turned out to be a problem with the sockets, half of them in room weren't working, including that next to coffee machine.

Following breakfast (good selection and service), I completed a comment card, listing the problems I had encountered and stating that I would not be returning to this hotel. On return to room following day out, curtain fixed, coffee machine instructions there, extension cable plugged in to allow us to use things, so they fixed what they could.

Following day, returned after day out to find that we could not get in the room, the key card wouldn't work, so obviously back down to reception. Manager was on reception and apologised for problems and offered to deduct a night's accommodation charge.

The impression I left with is that I may return after all. Customer service is only tested when things go wrong and I think they did what they could to put things right promptly and without argument. Found all staff to be pleasant and helpful.

A few things they need to work on though - fix the website, get some new mattresses and sort out some ventilation. Also I would not bother with a business class room, although more floor space, the partition makes them feel smaller. Suite is certainly not worth the full rate.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kitbit
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I stayed at the Glasgow Radisson on business recently. The room was spacious, clean and had nice decor. The free in-room wifi and wired internet worked well (note that the hotel do not guarantee wifi in all areas - the primary connection in rooms is the wired connection). The bed was firm but comfortable - I slept well.

I didn't eat in the restaurants except to have breakfast, which was a plentiful buffet of both 'full Scottish' hot and cold foods. The latter included a wide selection of cereals, fruit, meat and dairy products.

The hotel is located on the edge of the business district, a short walk from the main shopping area. Glasgow Central station is also very close - I was told by a local that the area close to the station may be best avoided at night.

The hotel had no record of my reservation (made via a big commercial bookings agency) on check-in; fortunately they did have a room available. I have no way of knowing whether the hotel or agency were at fault.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank m1nd
Reviewed September 5, 2007

Very dissapointed with this supposed 5 star hotel. We had a sheet of plywood under our matress, which we could see becasue there was no sheets on the bed.The staff in the restaurant could not accomodate us, so told us sit in the bar and they would take our order, they never did after several times asking. The room to us was very cramped and not five star treatment by any manner of means. The only plus we could find with the hotel was its location, just a block away from main shopping area, and near many cafes and bars, which have far better service.

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank IrishChick25
Reviewed August 30, 2007

Having read so many excellent reviews, we decided to stay at Radisson SAS for two nights. We had a family room, two rooms adjoining. These two rooms represented completely different qualities. One room had a smoky atmosphere with dirty stains on the bed linen. The other room was cleaner but the smaller of the two. The lifts were dirty with spit on the floor. Really, for a hotel of this class, I really expected better standards in cleanliness. However, they did serve an excellent buffet breakfast and the room service meals were good. I would not return to this hotel should I have to travel to Glasgow again!

• Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank DDDSurrey
Reviewed August 11, 2007

The Radisson SAS is not the same as Radisson in the US so don't expect sleep comfort beds that adjust instead expect to get a bed which feels like its over 25 years old. Only the 5th floor of the hotel has beds which are firmer. I am not one who likes a firm bed but the "soft beds" on the other floors are horrible. I woke with the worst back ache in years, it only got worse until they were able to switch my room to the 5th floor. (That bed is much better but still nothing to write home about). The front desk made it seem that this is a common complaint from Americans staying at the hotel. It's ashame because everything else is very nice. The hotel is clean and modern and has nice amenities and many choices of eating but if you can't get a good nights sleep forget it. I have since moved to the Marriott the beds are great, the location is 5 blocks from the Radisson but its not in the greatest location. It takes an extra 5 minutes walk to the center of town but it looks dreary even so I will never stay at the Radisson again until they update their beds. PS on the weekends the AAA rate at the Marriott was 56 GBP, half the cost of the Radisson.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business