“Valentines in Glasgow”

Ranked #33 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Northern Ireland
“Valentines in Glasgow”
Reviewed February 16, 2007

Just back from a two night stay (13th - 15th) at the Radisson. This was the third time my wife and I have stayed here and we wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. The hotel is a short walk from the City Centre and the walk through the railway tunnel is not user friendly , though we have never had any problems. As soon as you arrive at the hotel you are greeted by hotel staff , who will park your car for you (8 pounds per day) , check in is quick and easy. We have always stayed on the 6th floor (never asked for it) but this is not a problem and the hotel lifts are very pleasant (you'll know what I mean , if you've been in them) The rooms are good with every thing you'll need and don't ask for a room with a view because there aren't any.Breakfast is served in the Collage Restaurant and is excellent (no need for lunch). We have had previously eaten in the hotel restaurants , but there are several good ones in the City Centre , so try both. The bar area is hugh and service is the best. One down point for this trip was although it was Valentines Day , there was nothing in the hotel to indicate this and I had notified the hotel prior to travelling of a special occassion that my wife were celebrating however this was overlooked. This didn't make our stay any less enjoyable and the hotel is the best hotel we have stayed in the UK. The staff are mostly all local and very friendly. This is a good hotel and Glasgow is a good city. Enjoy both !!

• Liked — Friendly local staff and clean hotel
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NITraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Turkish first
Oslo
Reviewed February 9, 2007

A lot of positive things have been said about this hotel. I mostly agree, but there are a few thing I didn't care for.

It is always nice to be back in the friendly city of Glasgow, and on this occation for the Celtic Connections festival, where we enjoyed some great concerts on the last weekend in January.

Arriving at Glasgow Central Station from Prestwick airport at 6 pm Friday we were able to check in and be in our room 5 minutes later. You can't beat the location if you arrive by train!

Our room was on the 4th floor and was medium sized. The bathroom was on the small side, but with a tub and perfectly comfortable. I would like to thank the hotel for introducing me to the Arran Aromatics products. I absolutely loved them and even bought some Arran products at the airport to take home. I just discovered they also have a website where I can order more of these great products.

Now for the less positive part of my review: Entering the room we realized we were given the chain smokers room. We did ask for a smoking room, we usually do in hotels, but I have never been in such a smokey room ever. An airfreshener would have helped.
In order to get some fresh air we turned on the air conditioning, but found it too noisy and turned it off again.
The room had two windows. We were able to open only the smallest one, but it opened just a few inches. Why?
Anyway, we left the window open when leaving the room an hour later. The smokey room was less smokey when we returned. Could we have asked for another better smelling room in the first place? Probably, but the thing is that we were in a hurry to grab something to eat before the concerts. We didn't want to waste time moving our stuff around again.

Pulling the curtains from the window to have a look at the view (wiew = a roof) a half emptied bottle of red wine appeared. Did the staff think we would like to empty it?
Quite a lot of stains on the carpet, amongst them a big red one. Was it the rest of the red wine?

There were only one set of towels in the bathroom. We were about to call the reception to ask for more towles when we found another set in the closet. Why did they put towles in the closet?

There were a lot of amenities in the room and in the bathroom, so we wondered why we didn't have a hair dryer in the bathroom. We assumed we had to ask for it. We never needed one, so we didn't ask either. Only the last day, on Sunday, while looking for a pen to write tags on the suitcases, we found the hair dryer - in the desk drawer. Why not put the hair dryer where people usually use it - in the bathroom?

We prefer to sleep on a firm matress, this room had a very soft one.

Furniture is of course a matter of taste, and if you are in to standard corporate like furniture it would be perfect, but I'm not, so I found the furniture a bit boring and dull.

Overall these "complaints" are only minor to a good stay in Glasgow and the SAS hotel: The amenities in the room were great, staff friendly and efficient, breakfast excellent on both mornings.

• Stayed January 2007
2 Thank TET
Graeme-Glasgow, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, responded to this review, February 28, 2007
Thanks for your review - we love the Arran Aromatics too and I hope you had some left to take home.

We are installing de-ioniser's in our smoking rooms to reduce any smell of smoke and our window opening is restricted as a saftey measure.
New carpets are on the way and this one will be replaced.

Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Radisson last week and were really impressed with the customer service we received. From the moment we arrived, we were met by a member of staff who valet parked our vehicle (great value at £8.00 for 24 hours - returned ready for our departure time), a 2nd member of staff who took control of luggage - out of the boot, into the hotel and up to our room; reception staff who had us booked in within a minute and then followed up with a courtesy phone call to our room to check if everything in our room was to our satisfaction.

We are regular travellers and stay in a range of accommodation from 3 star through to 5 star. Facilities are not always that important to us - but the service we receive is, and the staff at this hotel are really impressive. Quiet, unassuming, in the background, anticipatory of your needs, unobtrusive and best of all - service with a warm welcoming smile.

Well done to everyone at Radisson SAS Glasgow - you made our stay positively memorable.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Islandwanderers
Aberdeen
Reviewed February 4, 2007

Just returned from the Radisson.
3 out of 5 is slightly harsh and I would probably rate this 3 1/2 out of 5 .
The most impressive aspect of the hotel is its staff who are extremely pleasant and act at all times as if nothing is too much trouble. We received the most polite treatment from the staff of a hotel I can ever remember.
Another huge positive is the hotel's location which is extremely central and handy. Other good points are the health club which is easy to use and the fact that the hotel looks great particularly the public areas/bars.
However I also have some criticisms. We are light sleepers and requested a quiet room when we arrived. We were given an orange room on the sixth floor but it was on a corner of the hotel and when we returned at midnight on the first night there was loud traffic, partying and bin emptying noise from outside. I could even hear this in the ensuite in the room with the door closed. Other points about the room were that the bed was too soft and the carpet stained. We couldn't sleep so I requested a quieter room. We were given one very willingly and the duty manager was extremely pleasant.
The second room was on an internal courtyard and there was no traffic noise. Why did they not give us this type of room first of all? The matress on the bed in the second room was much firmer and the room in better condition.
A more minor point is that the design of the rooms is quite "trendy" and in some ways more about style than practicality. eg a frosted glass wall between the room and the bathroom so you can't put the bathroom light on in the night without lighting the whole room and no headboard on the trendy looking bed.
An even more minor point was that our morning newspaper never arrived (I checked outside both rooms)
The second room was much quiter until 4am when a huge shouting match started in the corridor. A crowd of mainly women were screaming at each other at the top of their voices. The women had Glaswegian accents but I assume they were staying at the hotel as we were on the 5th floor. This is not the hotel's fault and the women did shut up after half an hour and after we had asked them to be quiet a couple of times. One of the women apologised for having a "domestic".
I got the impression from this and the bar that perhaps the Radisson is a place people stay at to party at the weekend? I am in my early 40's and we were also out until reasonably late both nights but I don't like being woken up at 4am by aggressive shouting.
I would not rule out staying at the hotel again as we may have been unlucky and I liked the staff.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ACAberdeen
Portsmouth, UK
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Excellent hotel, excellent location, excellent staff, excellent room, excellent everything.

Don't know that there is much else to say but I will....

From the moment that I checked in the hotel made every effort to make you feel like you were the most important person in the hotel. I booked a no smoking room but when we got into it it smelt a little bit smoky. They moved me no questions asked, in fact they said 'Don't worry, we will move all of your luggage etc for you, go out and enjoy yourself'.

There was everything you would ever,ever need in the room and then some, including fresh milk delivered to your door! The best hotel room coffee and hot choc ever and lovely Aran Aromatics goodies in the bathroom.

We had a 'modern' room (on the top floor) with a wet room, very cool.

This is what a hotel should be and it makes every other hotel I've stayed in since seem a bit lame.

Great rate through Expedia too.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — NOthing
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to this hotel - if just to see the doormen in their cool black kilts!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank GSRl
Portsmouth
Reviewed January 3, 2007

Just returned form a five night stay over the Christmas period at the Radisson. Check in was both friendly and very efficient. My room was at the cheaper end of the price range but was very clean and equipped and maintained to a very high standard. The interior of the whole building was clearly well looked after with staff taking an obvious pride in the appearances of public areas.

The Hotel is ideally situated right in the City centre and although it does not have its own car park has greatly reduced rates at a secure car park a two minute walk away. I was frequently arriving back at the Hotel quite late at night and did not feel at all unsafe despite its location in a fairly "cosmopitan" neighbourhood!

As ever it is the personnel that make a Hotel and the Radisson have a young but very professional group of staff. There always seemed to be someone who was able to answer any questions and the service in the restaurants was impeccable without being stuffy. The food was both varied and very well prepared. Breakfast over the holiday period served until lunchtime which allowed me a very welcome lie in.

If you have not visited Glasgow before do not expect the same genteel atmosphere as Edinburgh, there is a more "edgy" feel about the city which for me (as a confirmed lover of Edinburgh) is the City's attraction.

If Glasgow is for you I cannot imagine a better placed or more pleasant and reasonably priced place to stay.

• Liked — Cheerful, helpful staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank almshouse
scotland
Reviewed December 16, 2006

Stayed here for 1 night and it was brilliant, the staff were so helpful and friendly and the room was fantastic.

On my arrival at around 2 I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff (I also had a free room upgrade to a suite, better than I could ever have imagined)

The bed was very comfortable the room very spacious and spotlessly clean and lovely toiletries!! Had an enjoyable evening out and about and returned to the hotel bar (the atrium) and ordered a bottle of wine, again the staff were helpful and friendly

I would definitely go back and reccommend it to others, I would try the food in the hotel next time aswell as the menus looked tatsy.

It is hard to find anything to fault with the only niggle being a noisy aircon / heating unit which was easily resolved by switching it off (so as it was Dec I'm guessing it wasnt heating, as the room stayed toasty!!!)

Definitely an excellent hotel with comfort, space and excellent customer service.

• Liked — The rooms and the bed
  • Disliked — its hard to find any faults
  • Tips/Secrets — book on the hotel website some really good deals with excellent cancellation policies should you have to cancel
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lferr