“Surely the place to stay for Central Glasgow”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow
Ranked #32 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
South West London/Surrey
“Surely the place to stay for Central Glasgow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I spent alot of time researching the large hotels in Central Glasgow, and chose the Radisson Blu based on the location (very central and directly opposite Central Station) and many positive TripAdvisor reviews. We were not disappointed, this was a great choice, and absolutely the hotel you should choose.

We booked a couple of months in advance and got an excellent deal via booking.com, just over £80 per night for 3 nights, room only. The room was spacious, modern, clean and stylish. Large and comfortable double bed, floor to ceiling window. Complimentary tea and coffee provided, also a complimentary bottle of water, although the water was not replenished after the first day, not a problem though. Good quality toiletries provided in the bathroom.

I've read many comments on here about breakfast being crowded, expensive, etc, and same for the bar in the hotel. Fact is you do not need the breakfast option, there is a Wetherspoon directly opposite the hotel, we had breakfast there every day, it was always virtually empty and the prices were very cheap - porridge and coffee for £2.09! Full English (or Scottish!) breakast plus tea or coffee for £3.09! and you dont have to put it on your plate yourself! and you can be back in the Radisson 1 minute after you finish, its a no brainer in my opinion!

We didnt use anything at the hotel apart from the room for sleeping, so cannot comment on everything they provide, but would highly recommend you staying here, you will not be disappointed.

2 Thank AFCW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I attended a formal evening here. I probably attend 20 similar events all over the UK. The hotel is clean, vibrant and the staff are mostly attentive.
Let's now deal with the elephant in the room! The drinks are a fortune. Come on Radisson, you are literally losing business because people are bringing bottles of wine into their rooms, drinking in the nearby bars and avoiding buying too many drinks in your bar.
Why not have a think about residency income versus potential drinks income? Reduce your drink costs by around 30% and you'll be similar to adjacent places and retain your customers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been eating in this restaurant, every week for the past year.
It is a bit strange, in that the food is excellent and yet it is low key.
Very relaxed atmosphere, very friendly and helpful staff.
I particularly enjoy the fresh bread and oils at the start of the meal.
That part is free !!! The soups are always first class.
James Reid is the head chief, and he makes sure you will not go away hungery.
Special thanks are deserved by Michael, Angus, and Carmen.
Every member of staff always gives their very best. This allows me to enjoy
Glasgow and to eat first class food, while Glasgow Hilton resturants are again closed.
Radissons restaurant is a winner because it is open every meal time except
sunday lunch.
After my meal, I very much enjoy sitting in the bar area. Stunning street
view, especially cast iron facade of central station. Free pool table.
Thank you Aneta.
The only downside is the parking is on the street.

One block south is the river Clyde. Its is landscaped and very attractive.
BEWARE THE THEFT OF CAMERAS ON CLYDESIDE. Camera theft is a major
problem. I still love to walk there, but now I dont take my camera, nor my laptop.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alanfromscotland
Dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for Valentines day and it couldn't have went any better. We got a morning check in and went for a days shopping in Glasgow, I had requested a bottle of Champers for my partner and some flowers for her arrival at the hotel and was wasn't disappointed. Room was spotless and tons of room, wee problem with the tv channels and heating but they were minor problems but were never rectified after we made it known to reception staff. Breakfast was buffet style and again spot on. Downside to this hotel is the bar prices, was quite shocked by this and maybe needs addressing as there is a Weatherspoons over the road which was filled with guests from the hotel. Overall I will be spending more nights here in future but certain issues need to be looked at.

Room Tip: Ask for level 6.
2 Thank Terence G
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel as i was going to a gig at the secc and we got a great deal. Bed and breakfast stay for £69, normally the hotel is more expensive than this so we were really pleased that we got this deal. The hotel is right in the city centre, easy access to restaurants and bars and beside central station. Check in was quick, friendly and no hassle. The rooms were large and modern and very clean. Bed was huge and very comfortable, decor was nice. loved the bathroom with the lights at the side of the mirror. I couldn't find a hair dryer in the room though which i needed. We choose to have breakfast in bed which was lovely. There was lots to choose from but i didn't think much of the breakfast and didn't eat alot but that could be because we were drinking the night before. The hotel was quiet and felt very relaxed. I would love to stay again in the future

Hampshire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I ave stayed here a few times now and have to say that I am always happy to return.

Centrally located, with excellent service and good value for money, this Hotel is hard to beat for a short business or leisure trip.

A modern and large Hotel with what feels like new or nearly new decor and fittings. Bedroom are of a good size with designer (ish) bathrooms and comfortable beds / bedding. The business class rooms seem to all have a rather strange column in the centre of the room which hosts a small TV, coffee maker etc. You also get Nespresso machine which gets a big thumbs up from me.

High speed wi-fi and internet work very well throughout and are often included as part of a package. Only irritation is the TV - tiny screen and clunky remote control.

Breakfast is particularly good, with a cooked to order option which is increasingly rare these days. All in all, very good and recommended.

Room Tip: all rooms are of a very good standard
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kevin1958
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed on a Friday night which cost £143.. So we were expecting a fantastic stay as it is 5 star.
The hotel was lovely inside and very modern, however on the night we stayed celebrity's were staying which resulted in high security. After returning from a evening meal, sercurity demanded to see our room key in an inappropriate manner, however there was two middle age couples in front of us that were not approached at all. Next we accidentally got off the wrong floor then suddenly we were approached again asking for our surname and room number which he then radioed down to reception to check. We were left feeling we were not welcome as guests. I understand the security has to be high in these situations but I feel they didn't communicate with guests appropriately.
We complained at reception in the morning and the gentleman on reception said that we could get upgraded for our next visit, I feel that money back or a voucher would have been more acceptable.
I have been to many hotels that have been alot cheaper but at least I felt welcome.

Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Gingerninja1234
RossSaunders, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hi gingerninja1234,

Thanks for the honest appraisal of your stay with us at the Radisson Blu Hotel Glasgow.

It sounds like we could have provided a higher level of service during your visit. I believe we have contacted you personally to discuss the trip in greater depth.
I hope this experience will not detract you from choosing Radisson Blu and hope you will choose Radisson Blu in the future.

Kindest Regards,