“Ticked all the boxes”

Bar Soba Byres Road
Ranked #676 of 2,407 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A VIBRANT COLOURFUL ATMOSPHERE, FRESH FOOD FROM THE STREETS OF SOUTH-EAST ASIA, INDULGENT, CREATIVE COCKTAILS, AND THE BEST IN PIONEERING MUSIC FROM THE FRESHEST TALENT. WELCOME TO SOBA...The second Bar Soba restaurant in Glasgow, this Byres Road branch follows in the award winning footsteps of its Mitchell Lane sister. Soba is inspired by the street vendors of South East Asia and our menu touches on traditional classic street food from all over the region. Our aim is to provide the most authentic Asian street food we possibly can, to do this we source the finest ingredients and make every element for every dish from scratch in our own kitchens. We are passionate about our food and we believe that you will be too so why don't you start off with a selection of small plates to share, then grab one of our fantastic wok dishes or an authentic Thai curry then sit back and enjoy the taste of South-East Asia. We've also been creating great cocktails since 1999, always innovating to bring our guests and their tastebuds something unique!
GLA SOUFSIDE
“Ticked all the boxes”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Speaking as someone whose worked in restaurants for what feels like donkeys years but realistically isn't all that long I regard myself as being a pretty good customer when on the other side of the service experience.

This is why Soba was my ideal kind of gaff when I went for lunch last week. The bartender gave me some quality chat and made a belter of a Bloody Mary and was pretty chatty without being intrusive while I was reading my book. Had the Pad Thai (on the recommendation of said bartender) and a side of Salmon sushi, both of these were delightful and served within 10 minutes.

Nice, quick, low maintenance service with good quality food, decent selection of beers, good drinks promo's reasonably priced. Always been a fan of the one on Mitchell Lane but this one in the West End feels like it's a bit more geared towards food. Highly recommended for either eating or drinking.

• Visited November 2013
Joe C, General Manager at Bar Soba Byres Road, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Hello guest,

Very glad that our recommendation of the pad thai was to your taste. It is one of my favourites too.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Such a dissapointment”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Visited this evening for a birthday dinner with a group of friends who usually love the food at Bar Soba. The service has always been a bit lacking, but the food is really very good. However, this time around it was really just a joke.
Most of us work in restaurants and cafés, and we are all students. We were not expecting breath taking silver service here, and we don't go around with unreasonable expectations or demands. just... service... at all.. would have been nice.
When we arrived there were a handful of other tables in, and we were shown towards a table for 2 and for 4 which we were told could be moved together to seat the 5 of us. The waitress then vanished so we moved the furniture together ourselves. We were then left without menus for a good 5 minutes or so. When we eventually asked for menus, our drinks order and food order were taken fairly promptly, and then the wait began.
Starters took well over half an hour to show up, by which time we were ravenous. The starters were very tasty and well presented, as food in Soba usually is.
After those were finished and cleared it was time for another inexplicably long wait for our mains. We had ordered a grand total of 2 different dishes - three of one, two of the other. By this point there was perhaps one or two other tables left in the entire place. I hate to think how long food would take if the place were busy! At no point were we checked back on or offered further drinks, etc. Eventually the main course arrived and to be quite honest, it was rather lackluster. My dish consisted of 3 skewers with two tiny bites of blackened chicken each, a tiny little dish of peanut sauce, a mound of rice and an egg for around £10. Not great.
Things just continued in this fashion for the remainder of our visit. Once it got down to just us and one other table left in the place it became almost amusing that the bar staff would bring us the other tables drinks in error while we were still left without any. At one point one of our party stopped a member of staff to ask for some water, which was then placed in front of someone else at the opposite end of the table. Little things, I know, but when the whole experience had been so poor and service so unbelievably inept, little things like that just left us speechless.

I still felt bad not leaving a decent tip, but if it weren't for the fact that it was my friends birthday I would spoken up at the time. Absolutely pathetic service and mediocre food. It's not rocket science, it's just basic service.

They have 'Certificates of Excellence' from TripAdvisor plastered all over the walls and doors with 4/5 ratings etc etc. How they achieved that is anyone's guess.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Ben H
Joe C, General Manager at Bar Soba Byres Road, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you firstly for taking the time to leave a comment for us. I can assure you that your experience is far from the norm. I can only apologise about the way you were treated and the general length of time you waited for your food.

I am also a big believer in the little things, which is why i would like to discuss this matter with you further. Please feel free to drop me an email at jamievale@icloud.com

Jamie Vale
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great value for students”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Been here several times for lunch and as a student it is 241 meals all weekdays it is a popular choice. It's great value with a good choice of food perfect for a quick lunch with friends. Definitely recommend it to other students.

• Visited October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our business.

I am very glad to hear you like our deal.

If you would like to book again or any other issues, let me know at jamie@barsoba.co.uk

Beds
“Good character”
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We had a nice meal while visiting our daughter in University. It was a bit like Wagamamas, but more fusion of Japanese, Malaysian, Singapore, etc. The restaurant has more character and individuality than Wagamamas, but the food quality probably isn't quite as good. It was very enjoyable though. We used Tesco vouchers which is definitely a bonus!

Visited October 2013
Dear Alan,

Firstly, thank you for coming in and for reviewing us on trip advisor.

I am glad you had an enjoyable time with us and used the very handy tesco vouchers.

If there were any other issues you would think needed brought to my attention then please do not hesitate to get in touch at jamie@barsoba.co.uk

GM
“Overpriced”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Popped in for a quick bite to eat tonight. We were told restaurant was closed (7.30pm) and had to eat at high stools in bar. Bar was very busy and took ages for us to even get drink. My boyfriend received his pint but I had to ask where my wine was. Meals came quickly enough but for £10.95 a curry, I really would have expected more than 3 bits of chicken. I've been here a few times and always really liked it. Not sure what has happened but feel has gone downhill somewhat.

Visited October 2013
Joe C, General Manager at Bar Soba Byres Road, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry it wasn't up to standard.

I would be very interested in discussing further what happened on your visit last week.

Please feel free to contact me on jamievale@icloud.com