“Quirky”

Ranked #570 of 2,522 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Thai, Bar, Street Food
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A VIBRANT COLOURFUL ATMOSPHERE, FRESH FOOD FROM THE STREETS OF SOUTH-EAST ASIA, INDULGENT, CREATIVE COCKTAILS, AND THE BEST IN PIONEERING MUSIC FROM THE FRESHEST TALENT. WELCOME TO SOBA...The second Bar Soba restaurant in Glasgow, this Byres Road branch follows in the award winning footsteps of its Mitchell Lane sister. Soba is inspired by the street vendors of South East Asia and our menu touches on traditional classic street food from all over the region. Our aim is to provide the most authentic Asian street food we possibly can, to do this we source the finest ingredients and make every element for every dish from scratch in our own kitchens. We are passionate about our food and we believe that you will be too so why don't you start off with a selection of small plates to share, then grab one of our fantastic wok dishes or an authentic Thai curry then sit back and enjoy the taste of South-East Asia. We've also been creating great cocktails since 1999, always innovating to bring our guests and their tastebuds something unique!
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Nice place, quite reasonably priced, varied menu and some good music in the background, worth a trip.

Pat W, General Manager at Bar Soba Byres Road, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the review! I'm really glad you hear you enjoyed your experience at Bar Soba. We're looking forward to having you back in the bar for some tasy Pan-Asian scran!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Two of us tried to have lunch here today (4th June). The initial attitude of the staff was lethargic and sulky but there were only two of them and the menu looked fairly promising so we didn't let that put us off too much. I ordered at the counter, the barman was fairly rude and seemed to really struggle to take the order of four items. The starters of a steak salad and California roll took about 35 mins to arrive which was quite hard to fathom given the nature of the dishes and that the place was maybe, at best, a third full. The sushi was easily the worst I have ever tasted (ranking behind your average supermarket take-away offering) and the steak (described as seared and rare) was more akin to beef jerky: well done and as dry as the Gobi. On the arrival of the starters, we asked if they could possibly bring the mains out as soon as they could manage due to both of us having to get back to work and the starters taking so long. This was met with a blank look and a grunt of what I assumed to be comprehension. We were then waiting another ten minutes or so when the girl came over to clear our plates. On enquiring of her as to how long the mains would be, she answered (none too enthusiastically), "Eh, maybe another five or ten minutes?" Having eaten in many noodle bars across the world, I could not figure out how Singapore Noodles and Pho, two staples of the noodle world and two of the quickest dishes to create given a properly prepared kitchen, could be taking 50mins to arrive. At this, I requested that the mains be refunded (we had paid on ordering) as we could not wait any longer for our lunch. The barman then huffily claimed that we had only been waiting about 15mins despite the receipt in my hand showing I had ordered a good 50mins previously. Not a hint of an apology and made to feel like the refund was a massive inconvenience. Poor food, very slow and a terrible staff attitude. There's a hundred great places to eat within a mile of this place so we won't be back.

Hi Ewan,

Thanks for taking the time out to review your recent trip to Bar Soba. I'm so sorry to hear about your negative experience and I can only apologise for this. I can assure you that visits such as your own are not the norm at Soba, and we are often complimented on our cheery staff and delicious food. I will be investigating the reasons behind the sub-standard service you received on the 4th of June and will be appropriate actions will be taken on the staff involved.
Finally, as a measure of good faith, I'd love to offer you the opportunity to come back in to Bar Soba so we can show you how good the Soba experience really is! Please email faye@barsoba.co.uk to discuss this further.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

If you go here for lunch it is best to have nothing else to do. Don't expect a quick lunch. Each course, even dessert and coffee, take forever to be served. The place is quite studenty both for customers and for staff, so this may explain why nobody is in much of a rush. It is directly connected to the seating outside so you may be sat in the SMOKING area. We had to move as the wind was bringing the smoke in from outside.
Food was ok, and service friendly, just EVER SO SLOW...

Hi Afabvre,

Thanks for taking the time to review your visit to Bar Soba. I'm sorry to hear you find the service to be slow... If you are in a rush at lunch time, we have a pre-order service where you are able to call us up prior to your visit with your order and we will have it ready for the time of your booking. Many lunchtime patrons also opt to have their starters and mains from our £9.95 2 course lunch menu served together (as is traditional in East Asia) to ensure they are back to the office within 45 minutes.
I hope you give us another chance and come back in to give us the opportunity to show you the usual great Soba experience!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Met a few friends here recently to have dinner. I had spring rolls for starters.. only got 2! Shockingly.. anyway it left plenty room main.. which came a long time later, crackers were served in the waiting time! I thought they might have been complimentary considering the wait but after receiving the massive bill at the end realized they where not.

The bill itself was error strewn with drinks we hadn`t even bought added on to it. Be careful with this I say, always check what you all had especially in these economic times when eating out should be a luxury!

The waitresses where under pressure as the sun shone through the open window and they did forget to come back with drinks a few times.. food is okay nothing amazing the salad was very disappointing I must add, looked after its sell by date tbh.

Wine n dine in good atmosphere but don`t expect quick or amazing service.

Hi Buchally,

Thanks for reviewing your recent experience at Bar Soba.
I must apologise for the issues you experienced during your visit. I can assure you all our food is freshly prepared. We are currently in the process of hiring new staff in order to combat the issues that have been raised regarding the pressure on our staff, and also the service issues you have brought up. It would appear that this may also explain the confusion with your bill as we are still training staff and sometimes things can go wrong.
Off the back of your comments, I will be holding more intensive training for our new staff, and also a refresher training session for our long-standing staff in order to ensure our service levels remain consistently excellent.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Had lunch for 2 today on their £9.95 lunch deal and it was top notch. Prompt friendly service and tasty food. Squid and satay to start then pork ramen and Balinese beef to follow. Well cooked and presented well. Large wine and a pint of Kirin..... £30 all in. Mostly youngish crowd....some good discounts for students. We'll certainly be back.

Hi Brian M,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to review your visit to Bar Soba. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience!
We look forward to your return and hope you'll have a look at our cocktail menu next time round so we can WOW you with them, too!