“Friendly, great food and drink”

The Bungo Bar and Kitchen
Ranked #155 of 2,407 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, Scottish, International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: South Side
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Friendly, great food and drink”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Great atmosphere (if u dont mind dogs and children of which there were many-this added to the welcoming atmosphere.) I ve been here twice and on both occasions service was efficient and friendly. I really enjoyed the burger. It was tasty, reat texture and on a nice roll.chipotle mustard mayo was pleasant touch and added a kick.lovely chips too. My only complaint is that portion was a bit on the small side for nine quid.having said that, perhaps too many places try to flatter u with too much stodge. Decent selection of beers.

StephenHeggie, General Manager at The Bungo Bar and Kitchen, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thankyou again Marvin for the review. I'm sorry that you thought we stinged on the portions - usually a burger in here is a prelude to a good kip.
Hopefully you will be more sustained upon your return to us.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Will continue to get my custom!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Bungo is local to me in Pollokshields, and it is a usual spot for me on days off for food. Must've been at least 15 times in the year I've been living in the Southside as it's head and shoulders above a lot of the other eateries in the area.
The decor is suave, although I almost always sit in the main bar so don't really know the rest of the venue, though I hear the Bungolow function suit is rather nice, too.
The menu is indeed eclectic, with Asian dishes sitting alongside British classics like Fish & chips and their brilliant breakfast menu. I have had the Veggie burger a number of times, and although it can be inconsistent (with previous visits, and also with the description on the menu) it is always delicious. Once or twice there have been some errors (e.g., I ordered the vegan breakfast once which came with a poached egg on the plate), but this personally did not bother me as my partner happily ate it, and I did not mention it to the staff. I'm sure that if I had, they would've been more than happy and apologetic to sort the issue, as the service is always brilliant.
Minor gripes would be the music, which can be repetitive and poorly changed (skipping tracks halfway through songs etc.), but this doesn't affect the ambiance too much.
One final remark is that I went on Boxing Day for some breakfast and found it to be the perfect round up to Christmas; great service, tasty food, brilliant portions and such a relaxed vibe regardless of the fact the whole of the Southside were trying to squeeze themselves in!

• Visited March 2013
Another great review from one of our little bungolites - Fiona thankyou indeed for taking the time.

I will ensure that the bungo bar staff are confined to areas away from our music playlist in future - thanks for the tip.

“Very nice it was too”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Enjoyed the experience- very friendly and attentive staff, very nice food in a part of Glasgow that could do with a lift. Funny as I knew it as the Fotheringay pub and they've kept the less than great gents lavvies -( but no marks off for that - in the hope they do upgrade this last part). Would benefit from some draft Orkney ale - but then where wouldn't. Gets my vote as a good place

• Visited March 2013
Jim - you have made my day with such a nice review of the bungo. I'm so glad that everything (bar the lavvies) was to your liking and I look forward to seeing you back again.

Thanks for the feedback

Glasgow
“Good Atmosphere”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Nice place with good service, but as usual quality of food not good. I ordered a steak which was difficult to chew with french fries and mushrooms also not so good.

jrgio10

I am delighted that you enjoyed the ambiance of the bungo when you last visited us. I am however disappointed to hear that the food quality has let us down on this occassion. Please make yourself known to me upon your next visit so that we can discuss in detail what we can do better in future.

Yours
General Manger
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Popped in for a coffee.”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Always fancied the look of the place and popped in for a coffee with a friend on Friday (21/02/2013).

Met with a laid back atmosphere, enthusiastic and friendly staff. As we were only in for a quick coffee we ordered at the bar and grabbed a booth at the window. The food that was being served to other tables looked very good, especially the burgers.

I'm not sure what coffee is used, but it didn't taste good in our cappuchino. On that basis I probably would opt for one of the good collection of bottled beers next time and ditch the coffee. Every cloud etc.......

Got a babysitter for this Friday night and were planning a wee tour of the southside. Who knows, we may pop in and sample more of the place.

• Visited February 2013
I am glad that you finally popped in to see us. Sincere apologies about the coffee - we endeavour to serve the best quality products at all times.
Having taken your feedback on board we have now had our machine and grinder looked at and I'm sure you would notice the difference in taste next time you are in. Although, the beers are good lol

GEneral Manager