“Tired and Noisy”

Ranked #68 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
lancaster
“Tired and Noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Was on a flyer to Glasgow, just one night to watch Prince with Mrs H. This hotel came up cheap on booking.com. It was the location that swung it for me, next to the station and a straight walk to the Venue. The price should have warned me off, £50! I thought it could be a bit dodgy so opted for the "executive room" and paid £70....
Firstly, nearly missed the entrance, off a very downtrodden area of Argyle St just round the corner from the Station. We got our key and went to the room through various unpainted plywood fire doors, the doors to the rooms all looked like cheap plywood doors. The room itself was large but definitely looked like a boarding house from the 80s. It was on the second floor and overlooked Argyle Street. Anyhow, I had paid £70, it was a bit shabby but not that bad and away to the concert we went....
We returned at 11.30pm with Purple Rain ringing in our ears...wish it had rung a little harder!! The street noise was VERY NOISY, unbearably so. Traffic noise was incessant, it felt like being in a bedroom next to a motorway, constant. I know Glasgow has a lively night life but I didn't see any really close pubs when we checked in...so, how was it that every person on a night out walked past our hotel hollering until 3am! I drifted off sometime after 3 but not for long as at 6am the traffic intensified. Really, I am not exaggerating unless you have ear plugs or have been on an all day distillery tour you will struggle to sleep. It might just be the room we had (223) but I doubt it, the hotel needs secondary or better still triple glazing not the original glass from when it was built.
So, staggered bleary eyed for the included breakfast. Some people have described it as excellent or great....what palate are they eating on! It was awful and tasted of cheap vegetable oil.
Sadly this hotel is just not good, it feels slightly seedy and I can't believe that anyone would feel good about a stay here...the only positive I can give it is that it is handy for Central Station.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Although the front of the hotel doesn't look very inviting once you get inside it is perfect for an short break, the reception and waiting staff were very helpful, the room was newly refurbished and was comfortable and the choice at breakfast was plentiful, the only thing I could say that was negative was that the bathroom was small , if you want a value for money central break in Glasgow I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose here, I have already recommended it to friends.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deanne R
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

stayed a week on business trip

rooms very big for a city centre hotel and free wifi was good

noisy as the street outside is busy and the walls seem very thin so you can hear conversations in the next room

breakfast ok but strange mix of Scottish and asian?

Stayed May 2014
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

Stayed here 2 nights ,was my second visit to this nice hotel , can't believe folk moaning about it , it's cheap , it's clean , it supplies all you need ,coffee,/tea iron , toiletries ,staff are lovely ,it's central ,,and as a lone female traveller ,,I would stay here every time I was ever in glasgow

Room Tip: I was in room at side of hotel ,,once I closed window it was quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed at this hotel with my daughter for a night and would recommend it for location and price.
We were in Glasgow to see a show and were within walking distance to the Kings theatre and shops . A small walk down the street took us to restaurants and bars and we didn't have the problem of needing taxis or buses. I would book this hotel again

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor looking on to the main street. A little noisy but never stopped us sleeping...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hyde, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Like other reviewers we chose this hotel because of its location close to the main train station and the city centre. The down sides were that we had issues every day with the room key card - having to go back down to reception to get the key reset was annoying. The lift is very small and we had to make two trips with the luggage. The breakfast menu was good but the line for toast was ridiculous - two domestic toasters for a room that held hundreds of people and, of the two, one didn't work properly. We had to change two absolutely filthy pillows - they could not have been missed by anyone. The staff are pleasant and helpful. The beds are large and comfortable. Rooms did get hot and we couldn't open the large windows.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

This was my fourth visit to this hotel. The room is very well appointed with coffee making facilities and free bottles of water. There is good soap and shampoo in the bathroom. Good and frequently changed towels. The bed is comfortable and the pleasantly decorated room has lots of power points for this age of charging electronic devices and an iron and ironing board are provided. The location is amazingly convenient being so close to Central Station. The only (very small) drawback is there being only one lift and it can take a bit of time to ascend! Breakfast is very good and provides unlimited food! Travelodge needs to watch out with such good competition.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo