“A little old hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #68 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A little old hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel is a little old and needs immediately renovation. Room was ok but I wasn’t feel there comfortable due to lots of old equipment. But there was one very big plus – the restaurant, which offered very tasty breakfast, wonderful Scottish food. The night wasn’t perfect but the morning was amazing with the big selection of different dishes.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kinga P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my partner. When we checked in we were greeted by a very friendly and welcoming member of staff. The location of the hotel was perfect for us, very central, a close walk from the Queen Street train station. The decor of the hotel was lovely, traditional but with modern touches. Our double room was a great size, high ceilings and a very clean en suite bathroom. A modern plasma screen TV in the rooms with plenty of channels to choose from. We didn't hear much noise from traffic outside, we were on the top floor, but even if we did that's what is to be expected from a hotel in the city centre. The breakfast was excellent, one of the best breakfasts I've ever had such a variety of food to choose from, and the staff in the breakfast room were very welcoming. There is also a lovely cosy bar in the hotel which is open until the wee hours which has a log fire. If you book this hotel on a last minute budget website and get a room for a good price, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heath19_04
Leeds, West Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Ideal for Central station and all Glasgow City attractions. The hotel entrance although not very impressive from the outside is ideal for the traveller on a budget. Reception is a llittle basic but adequate. Rooms although basic are very clean and comfortable. This was my second visit to this hotel this year and althoughi In need of some updating and minor repairs in certain areas I had a couple of very comfortable nights. Breakfast as to be expected but a good start to the day. The breakfast room and the bar is very impressive and shows a style and elegance of days gone by. Staff I found to be friendly and helpful. Overall a pleasant place to stay whether on business or pleasure, I would certainly use the hotel again on my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel as they face onto the main road into the city and ca...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andyto1
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here end of October with my wife an when we walked up to it wasn't really expecting much,when we stepped inside it had lovely decor and very good old fashioned features. The room wasnt the best or cleanest I've stayed in,being a fairly busy road the windows could do with some maintenance as very noisy through night and hard to sleep. The bathroom was not very clean bath panel was hanging off shower head was far too low. The room could do with a good make over even just a lick of paint to freshen it up would do wonders. The bar didn't live up too much either nothing on pump had to go down to reception every time I wanted a drink not ideal,and got my wife black currant and lemonade she had one sip and left it the lemonade must of been open for a few days. Breakfast was excellent very tasty and plenty of choice. Although I seemed to have complained a lot I would definitely stay here again for the money you pay you get what you'd expect really,very good value for money

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cupar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night with my wife and friends. Old style hotel with large rooms and high ceilings in a very central location. The staff were friendly and helpful. On arrival we were given a voucher ticket and a map for parking our car, this saved us £8 pounds on overnight parking.
The hotel was very warm and the breakfast choice awesome.
Overall the hotel can do with a makeover as it looks tired.
I would definitely stay again and for £48 b&b minus £8 saving on parking. Great value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Oban, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

stayed at this hotel for 1 night only. the location of this hotel is great right in the center of town. the rooms were good, served its purpose and it was clean.breakfast was good. cant really complain about anything in this hotel as it was really cheap.would i stay here again yes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night with my grand daughter, as we were going to the Kings Theatre to see The Sound of Music. We travelled by train and found the hotel conveniently near the station. We filled in time before the show by visiting St Enochs Square shopping centre, this is within easy walking distance of the hotel.
We walked to the theatre and back, my grand daughter is 7 and she did not mind all the walking. We had a good cooked breakfast the next day and headed for the station for our journey home. I chose this hotel instead of my usual Travel Inn, as it was cheaper and provided breakfast.
The staff were pleasant and efficient , the room was clean, as was the shower room, the only down side was the room stank of cigarette smoke but at least the window opened. I think the curtains were the culprit, as the bedding smelt fine.
Argyll Street is a busy road and as I know Glasgow, I expected traffic noise, it was my omission that the ear plugs did not get packed!
I will certainly use this hotel again, if I can get a non smoking room at the same rate

Room Tip: If you don't like stale cigarette smoke ask if they have a non smoking room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family