“The best Italian food ever.”
Review of Don Costanzo

Don Costanzo
Ranked #422 of 2,490 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Don Costanzo is an Italian Restaurant located in the basement of 13 Woodside Crescent, Glasgow G3. Formerly the location of Nick Nairn's restaurant, it has been transformed into a warm, homely welcoming restaurant where you can enjoy the best of authentic, home cooked Italian cuisine. Don Costanzo was opened after the closure of The Caprese in Buchanan Street, a long established restaurant of 26 years, owned and run by Costanzo Cacace and his family. Costanzo gained the reputation of offering the best of the best to the best of the best. Clientèle from across the globe, famous and not so famous, enjoyed what Costanzo offered in the Caprese - fantastic food in a great atmosphere - and those people have returned to Don Costanzo for more of the same. Using only the best ingredients and produce, and with an impressive wine list to suit every taste, a trip to Costanzo's will not disappoint. Easily reached from both the city centre and west end with plentiful street parking and good transport links.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This has to be my favorite Italian restaurant now. The staff are very friendly, felt as if I had known them all my life.
The ambiance was just perfect and the food was really amazing, great choice on the menu.
This was my first time there tonight, and will certainly not be the last.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The ingredients on the menu here are hand chosen every day and its clear to see this devotion continues until the food is delivered to the table. Phenomenal food and service to match.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Authentic Italian food .place has a lovely warm feel to it .staff excellent .price very reasonable .best Italian food I have tasted in Edinburgh and Glasgow .chef great host

1  Thank Marco C
Reviewed May 29, 2013

After reading all the excellent reviews on trip advisor I was more than excited to try what I thought would be a hidden gem but was very disappointed. Firstly the waiting staff were friendly so in that sense I can't fault them for that however the food was poor. I had the chicken liver pâté and the presentation was mediocre at best and the taste was horrible. I was disheartened by this but thought there is still a second course but that was also poor. I had a fillet steak and it tasted like a poor cut of meat. What made my experience all the more uncomfortable was the chef came round and could see I wasn't enjoying it so whilst I was trying to be polite and say I was full he was intimidating the rest of the night which was very unfair and considering the amount of money I was paying for the meal was just unacceptable.

6  Thank emms_1234
jo1904, Manager at Don Costanzo, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

We are really disappointed that you were "dissatisfied" with your visit to us last week. Actually, disappointed does not come close to how we feel, stunned may be a better description of our feelings about your review. Firstly, we do remember you and your party and at no part of the evening did you express any dissatisfaction with any aspect of your meal. You describe your pate as badly presented and with a horrible taste. Our pate is home-made on our premises from the same recipe that we have used for 30 years and had it been so "horrible" as you have described, then I doubt that it would still be on our menu 30 years on. Perhaps it is a matter of taste and it all depends on what you are used to in a pate, whether it be shop bought or properly made from an authentic source but we have never, ever, had a complaint about our pate being horrible. Presentation is basic, home-made rustic pate with toast and a garnish, what else would you suggest should be included as again it is something we have served for many years with no complaints. If you wanted nouvelle cuisine then you came to the wrong place.

Now, onto your description of our fillet steak which we take particular umbrage to. Our fillet is the best cut of fillet you can get, Scotch Fillet, the best in the world in our opinion. We pay a high premium to our suppliers to provide Scotch Fillet when we could quite easily supply an inferior quality foreign cut of meat at a hugely discounted rate. We believe that you get what you pay for and we pay for the best and offer the best to our customers. Therefore, to suggest that we served you a poor cut of meat is a massive insult to us considering what we pay for it and what we ask you to pay for it. We also wonder at what point you thought that the food was poor as there was no pate left on your plate and one small piece of fillet remaining from your main course when we came to clear your table. Had the food been so poor, surely you would have alerted the staff to this fact and we could have rectified the problem on that evening instead of voicing your opinion via Trip Advisor?

Our chef, who is in fact the owner of the business, Costanzo, approached your table to ask if everything was ok and you said everything was fine. We cannot understand why you would say everything was fine if you were unhappy. We fail to see how it can be intimidating that the owner and chef of the business goes around the tables to check that everyone is happy with their meals, it is normal practice in a family business such as ours. We are not a chain of nameless, faceless restaurants who don't give a damn about our customers. We are a family-run restaurant who care what our customers think. Costanzo has been in this business for over 40 years and would not have lasted this long had his food been so poor!

Anyway, we thank you for your review. I trust that you were the only one of your party that was unhappy since the rest of your table cleared their plates with gusto and on leaving told us what a great night they had had (including the person who had the same fillet steak as you did!). Our reviews speak for themselves and thankfully, reviews such as yours are a minority and our customers will judge for themselves when they visit us, the high quality of our food.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I first came across this restaurant while out for a walk to the west end. Its pretty hidden, but well worth the search for!. I went in during 'Business Lunch' time, which was a set price menu of £11. I had soup of the day that was Tomato, & a Spaghetti Bolognese for main, fantastic!, I’m sure I heard/read its all home made food, & it is absolutely excellent, so compliments to the chef!. The staff were very friendly& polite to us as we arrived, during our lunch& when we were leaving, which made it even more of a nice experience!. As for looks, its pretty well decorated with photos of past guests to the restaurant & Italian themes on the walls. I would definitely come back here, & will definitely tell friends& family about it.