“Favourite Indian restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Punjabi Charing Cross

Punjabi Charing Cross
Ranked #83 of 2,386 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Set in the heart of Glasgow, Punjabi Charing Cross offers a dining experience unique to all. Whether it is for an intimate meal, to take the family out or even to enjoy a curry with a group of friends, our restaurant will provide a unique experience. Why not start your meal with our unique starters which range from delicious keema padora to our much heralded lamb chops or even our freshly cooked fish pakora. Our curries are cooked the punjabi way and retain a unique depth of flavour. Why not try our traditional lamb on the bone or even the chicken equivalent. Other curries such as our lamb chilli ginger and our punjabi garlic chilli provide a unique twist to the classic curry everyone loves. No description of the Punjabi would be complete without mentioning our newest creation:the lamb Gurmeet.With such depth of choice one visit is simply not enough.
“Favourite Indian restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have been back to this restaurant 4 times since I reviewed it in June and it has never let me down. In fact last Saturdays meal was possibly the best I have had in it. The vegetable pakora starters were sublime and that was the only small criticism of my first visit. Chef's special mix curry superb, my wife had Karahi bhoona which I also sampled and was superb good rice and perfect nan bread. I do not exaggerate this nan bread was perfect. And all for a reasonable price. Including one drink each just over £30 I do not think this restaurant can be bettered. We normally have a bottle of wine and my wife has a sweet and the bill is less than £50. Glasgow has a lot of great Indian restaurants but when I find one as good as this I tend to stay loyal..

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank shugster60

London
“Pretty Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Perhaps it is unfair to rate a restaurant on one visit, but I found it decidedly average, the sort of place you can find anywhere in the streets around the London suburb where we live.

My wife and I visited on a Friday in November and the place was virtually deserted the whole time we were there (only two other individuals came in between 7.30 and 9.00pm).

I had a lamb tikka biryani, which featured a glace cherry on top(!) but no boiled egg. The meat was quite chewy and under flavoured. The vegetable curry that I bought to go with it was mainly potato and not particularly flavourful either. Puddings were very limited (no kulfis) and we eventually settled for vanilla ice cream with choc sauce, having turned down fried Mars bar (I am not kidding).

On the plus side, the waiters were friendly and service was well paced. Wine is reasonably priced. Overall, I can't understand the high rating of this restaurant in one of the UK's 'curry capitals'.

Visited November 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Delicious curry. Outstanding food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I can't understand why the Punjabi is often so quiet, because the food is outstanding! Had the Chilli Ginger Lamb and it was beautifully spiced and really tender. The service is friendly and efficient, and as I'm working away from home and am often on my own it's great to be made to feel so welcome. Prices are very reasonable but I think they suffer from a lack of passing trade. This terrific restaurant deserves to be much busier than if is. I for o e will return regularly as it's special!

1 Thank Adamthemaestro
Huddersfield
“First visit and certainly not the last”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Last weekend we were up in Glasgow (the wife and I) and were planning to go to another curry house until I discovered this little gem of a place in an online search. The reviews from tripadvisor swung our decision as we were stopping in the Charing Cross area. We entered the restaurant about 7pm and although only 6 diners were in I was confident we would have a good meal.
Drinks first, £6 for a pint and a half of Cobra a bit expensive but hey we were on a city break.
As we were perusing the menu and discussing what to have, as we usually share a rice and naans, 2 massive complitmentary poppadums arrived with a chopped onion dip; nice touch.
I chose haggis pakoras and the wife had onion bhajis for starters. A wonderful choice as both came with just enough salad and a mint dip which was strangely pink. The onion bhajis were flattish but a generous portion and the haggis pakoras came as about 8 bite size pieces. Both were superb, and the pink minty stuff was good too.
For mains we had opted to share a boiled rice and a naan with the curries. I had the chicken mulaidhar which was a spinach laden dish with a hint of chillies and coriander in a slightly creamy sauce. Not hot but very tasty, and a nice little kick of chilli. The wife had chicken dopiaza. The chicken in both dishes was melt in the mouth, the rice nice and fluffy and the naan was huge and thin. Enough for two and a welcome change to the usual fat doughy bread.
The food was well presented and we both finished the lot.
The waiters were pleasant, polite, asked how our meal was but weren't overbearing.
The wife and I agreed that it was one of the best curries we had ever had and we certainly go back despite living in Yorkshire.
The only drawback was I thought the beer prices were a little high, still just over £40 for two of us, £28 for the food, not too bad.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bungleye
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pilot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful cuisine ... I return almost every trip to Glasgow and lately that has been two to three times a month

Visited October 2013