“Great lunch at Viva”

Viva Brazil
Ranked #130 of 2,407 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Brazilian, Barbecue, South American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Authentic Brazilian steakhouse, offering unlimited supply of fifteen different cuts of BBQ meat served at the table
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
“Great lunch at Viva”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

First time at Viva Brazil, with a friend who had seen a lunch offer for £13.95. Normally I'm not a fan of buffet style places but this was a wee bit different. This offer included the buffet selection and as much of the meat from the skewers as you could take. The buffet had a very good varied selection of vegetables, potatoes, nibbles, oils, etc ( and was well stocked too). Much better than the average buffet. A new concept on me was the coloured circles on your table for you to use when the servers come round with the meat skewers. If the circle is turned green side up, they will stop at your table and slice you some off the skewer. If red side up, they will bypass you. It was a fairly busy Friday lunchtime but there was certainly a lot of servers walking around the table with the skewers so you were not short of choice or amount. The waitress had said the meat was cooked to a medium but if you wanted it done another way just to let them know and they would provide it. Normally I prefer well done but it seemed well cooked to me. Service was very quick from start to finish, and the bill for two plus x2 cokes & x2 coffees was £36.50. I'm not entirely sure I would select this as a choice for an evening meal but would recommend it for a lunchtime visit if looking for something different.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“2 nights in Glasgow”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Well after trying a cheap indo Chinese buffet the night before which was rank, I thought I'd try some Brazilian food. Well what a meal, lovely seat by the window, had some lovely Garlic rice and black beans and pork - very nice. Then they cam round with massive skewers of meat, pork loin, pork ribs, beef ribs, garlic beef, spicy chicken, pork sausage, rump steak, sirloin steak, flank steak, pork collar, gammon, roast pineapple and finally little chicken hearts. Whilst eating they play traditional and not so traditional brazilianmusic and has a fine display of capoeira which is the marshal arts/ dancing. I didn't try everything but the chicken hearts have to be tried because they are amazing. All in all not the cheapest of meals but considering the variety available and the quality it is still excellent value for money.

Glasgow
“World Buffet Losers”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Went here after a friend said he'd been four times and said a good place to eat. Read reviews on trip advisor and they are a mixed bag, so I thought give it a go.

Arrived and as soon as you walk in door you realise it is not a fancy style restaurant but in essence just a typical buffet eatery. Host told us how to order, simple enough. Ordered wine then went to the buffet area and food on display very good, plentiful, varied and you could not have any qualms about... Sadly mmhhh the reason why you go here for, the unique selling point. The meat.....

Or lack there off. A Wednesday night, place was probably less than 20% full. Got back to our table after buffet area, when a meat carver served us. So meat was pork, nice enough, 2 slices. That was it for ten mins. One person dispensing meat. Next was a spicy sausage and a cube of chicken with cheese wrapped in bacon. Again ten mins later same waiter next piece of meat, parmesan encrusted pork, very tastey. Then five mins later another piece of meat. That was it for a good 15 mins. Another waiter came by and different piece of meat. Again another ten min wait back to the sausages & chicken cube, which I declined as was there for variety. So all in about 1hr or so and about 12 slices of meat and a sausage and slice of chicken from the meat carvers. Realised you had to order desert, did so but also went back to get a plate as mine had been cleared. Got the meat carver to give me two slices of flat steak. Had a chocolate pudding which was a very heavy, border line chocolate rubber.. Rest of the night the waiter did not venture anywhere near our section. It's not a red and green token you need it would have been a lollipop I think i needed. I seen one carver most of the 2hrs I was there, a good 1hr and a half one carver on the floor at a time, I kid you not. If I was a irate complainer I'd have complained at time..I just would rather write on here...

So in the end got the bill, £74.75. which was 2 x £23.95 for meal, bottle of wine and two puddings, which I had mis-assumed were free. Well at £23.95 you'd think it was. I think it was me who had my wallet skewered and carved.. The staff waitresses and host were nice and attentive enough. Carvers actually civil and polite when you see one...

Viva Brazil is nothing more than a buffet place where the food comes to you. For £23.95 its vastly over priced. I spoke to the friend who recommended it to me and he was taken aback thinking i'd went to wrong place. He asked did I have the chicken hearts. Unless they were wrapped in chicken and bacon and cheese it would be a no. Perhaps it was a bad night, though you would hardly think a Wednesday is a night of hassle. Over 18 dishes are advertised as being carved at your table, not always but predominantly. If you do evening you will get more than afternoon. I counted 8 different meats. The meats themselves, are fatty so do not expect to be getting pure meat. Meat is at times very pink, so be prepared for that.

I was truly sad this place did not meet expectation. I'd taken a friend out for a treat and they were not impressed either. Perhaps it was a bad night as said. I would advise anyone going here, to perhaps try the afternoon deals, because at £23.95 my experience was an expensive mistake. You could have a great meal with attentive waiters in a proper restaurant for less than £75. Viva Brazil as said is just a buffet place and as such in terms of World cup of Buffets, the Chinese and Indian's have final places. Brazil like Scotland would nt qualify.

1 Thank ploki29
“Very good. Nice evening.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I liked everything and especially the buffet. All the meat was very good and I had to stop them. Just the beef was very very salty but the atmosphere, food and service deserve a 9 on 10.
I understand why it was so crowded.

Visited March 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
“Just average, nothing more.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have eaten at Brazilian type steakhouses in a number of cities and this was was the least impressive. The meat was slow coming to the table and the choices were way fewer than proclaimed on the menu. Service, in general, was also slow. The meat was also a bit fatty and definitely only cheaper cuts. Would be in no hurry to go back. In addition, it was expensive!