“Good grub in a pleasant little restaurant”
Review of The Brooklyn Cafe

The Brooklyn Cafe
Ranked #5 of 45 Dessert in Glasgow
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Grill
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open since 1931, The Brooklyn Café has served its fair share of customers. With an American/Italian menu in the restaurant patrons can choose from plenty of classics from a freshly rolled pizza to full rack of babyback ribs and everything in between!Leaving with a smile on your face is a safe bet though as the homemade Ice-Cream has been a massive hit and is made daily on site. With more experience than most of the the surrounding eateries put together the Brooklyn café know how to keep everyone happy.
Scotland
“Good grub in a pleasant little restaurant”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I am very surprised by some of the negative reviews. We made our first visit to the Brooklyn yesterday and found it to be light and well furnished. The welcome and service were spot on throughout our visit. We had Chicken Milanese, which was tasty and plentiful. The price was reasonable at around £8. We will certainly return to this friendly wee local restaurant.

• Visited July 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Beans have no exchangeable value.”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Much of my misspent youth was wiled away here. However a recent visit for four hangover breakfasts was not the walk down memory lane I expected. Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
We each had a breakfast, minus the specific items we did not fancy, which amounted to a fair lot (square sausage, tottie scone, beans x 2, mushrooms). One of us asked for an extra fried egg and some more toast. We were charged for these items, despite not being told this by the waitress, when we asked the manager, he told us 'beans have no exchangeable value.'
Wise up.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank Matilda F
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good value menu”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Having read some negative old reviews was somewhat unsure how our visit might turn out but as there had also been a balance of positive responses I made the booking. Needn,t have worried as we enjoyed a very good 3 course meal. Good choice of starters.Rib-eye steak cooked to perfection and my breast of chicken dish was so succulent Our desserts knickerbocker glory & banana split were amazing especially as we could not recall last time we,d indulged in these favourites.Pleasant greeting & seating and service was very good. Nice atmosphere.most enjoyable experience.Good value.

• Visited March 2012
“Prices have gone sky high!! Shameful!!”
Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

I thought that this was the ultimate cafe when I first moved to shawlands nine years ago. The food was always a cut above the rest of the local cafes and although it was slightly pricier, it was always worth that extra penny. However, my husband and I decided to pop in for a quick lunch today and we were completely disappointed. So much so, that we left after looking over the new menu. With breakfasts stretching to a whopping £8:25 and things as simple as an extra potato scone being £1.20. It doesn't even cost that for a whole pack of potato scones!! We were absolutely disgusted as we have always enjoyed our visits to the Brooklyn cafe previous to this. If we wanted to spend almost nine pounds on a meal we could quite easily jump the short bus ride to town and eat in a restaurant. We are aware of the Brooklyn Cafe and it's local status but unfortunately we won't be dining on pure heritage and we certainly won't fork out over eight quid for a few greasy pieces of food. Such a sad day for us.

2 Thank Anniemags1
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decent cafe food that is extortionate”
Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went to our local cafe which we haven't been to in 6 months. My wife had the breakfast which was a bit steep at £6.25 and I had the large breakfast at a whopping £8.25 which is the same as a main meal in a restaurant. The food was alright but not worth the money we have been coming here for years and the food was good at decent prices, but a menu revamp seems to have hiked the prices as well. For a cafe serving the traditional fare for almost 100 years whilst serving the local community I am shocked that they have made the prices skyrocket to turn a quick buck. Short of a wage increase I won't be back to be scalped for cafe grub.

1 Thank captainhowdy97