“The way Vegan/Vegetarian food should be...”
Review of The 78

The 78
Ranked #311 of 2,542 Restaurants in Glasgow
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A heart warming little bar and restaurant in Glasgow's famed Finnieston. All our food and drink is free from any animal produce.
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I are frequent visitors for lunch, dinner and even just drinks. The staff are great and are always helpful; even when I am sure they are knackered and tired, they still have a smile on their face.

The menu is kept simple but has enough scope for you to try something different each time. There are no boring meals, the menu has been thought about and worked on to near enough perfection. There is of course a specials board which as yet I've never ventured onto as I really like what's on their normal offerings.

I do find myself always drawn back to their classic '78 burger served with cajun chips. This has to be one of the best Vegetarian burgers on offer in Glasgow (in my own humble opinion).

So if vegan/vegetarian is your thing (or even if it's not) then give "The '78" a try out and I doubt you will be disappointed.

1  Thank John F

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Lots of good things going for this bar - great selection of beers, nice veggie menu, good location AND outside tables/chairs when the weather is fine... BUT Friday lunch time can be busy - so why so few staff? Not only that but the staff who are on appear to have lost the abulity to smile (maybe becaus they are so busy as there are so few of them!). So, come on Mt Owner - get more staff on at lunch time and this can go from a good wee bar to a great one!!

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Usually I find veggie stuff pretty dull but the burger I had was good. Decent ale and a good atmosphere. Would go again.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Lovely old-school bar - mismatched wooden tables, rough and ready, relaxing, nice decor. Good selection of beers and live music some nights, but the real attraction is great vegetarian food - mainly burgers and falafel. My favourite place in this area for relaxing food.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I've visitted the 78 a number of times and it does have a great vibe.
I'm unsure why so many people have complained about the staff on here. I've always found them to be helpful and friendly. The food leaves you feeling satisfied and full and their selection of beers is better than most similar establishments.

I have two issues though, and they are minor.

1. I like to eat healthy (as a lot of vegans do) and although the food in the 78 is VERY tasty there is very little on the menu that isn't fried.

2. The last time I visited. My girlfriend and I ordered food and were sat by the entrance. Our meal was brought out to us and literally within 5 minutes the server approached us and explained we would have to move as a band would be needing to set up where we were seated. No other tables were free which resulted in us having to stand at the bar and eat.
Now the server was very apologetic but the situation was a real downer especially seeing as nearly every other table was occupied by people drinking and not eating. Perhaps holding some tables as 'food only' tables until food service is finished may be a solution here. Who knows?

All in all - I am a fan of The 78 and would have given it a 5/5 if it weren't for those two minor gripes.

2  Thank Darren N