“An evening of wonderful wine tasting”

Tennent's Training Academy
More attraction details
Owner description: Hidden behind the gates of the famous Wellpark Brewery in Glasgow’s East End sits Scotland's only purpose built cook school. Wide range of classes available from an afternoon cocktail-making class to a full professional chef qualification. Scottish cooking and whisky tastings available.
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Knowing only very little about wine, but seeming to drink a fair bit of it, me and a friend decided to
try out the wine tasting evening at the academy to learn a little more. We sampled 8 wines from around the globe and were taught how to smell, taste and understand the flavours and the kind of foods they would compliment. The evening was relaxed, fun and educational, would highly recommend it to any wine lovers. Would be great to do with a group of friends. Great night with a lovelly host.

1  Thank Lori M
Graeme W, Sales & Marketing Exec at Tennent's Training Academy, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Hi,

Thank you so much for your review of our Wine Tasting, We are constantly trying to update and upgrade our guest experience so its great to get your feedback. Keep an eye out for new courses and new regions we are venturing to with our wine tastings and i am sure we will be seeing you again shortly.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I attended the whiskey blending course led by the beverage trainer Scott. I've learned to appreciate whiskey more, I can tell the different characteristics from different blends. The best part was the blending competition and although I didnt win, I still enjoyed the blend I took home. Friendly staff, warm atmosphere, great value for money. I'll be back for the wine tasting next.

Team T T A, Guest Relations Manager at Tennent's Training Academy, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on the Whisky Masterclass, we are glad you had a great time,

We hope to welcome you back again soon

Kind Regards

Team TTA

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Booked the Cupcake and Cocktail class on the recommendation of a friend who had been to the Italian cookery course and thought this would be a fun Weekend afternoon activity. It didn't disappoint :) we were taken through a variety of hands on demos on how to make various kinds of cupcakes before being let loose to decorate our cakes, complete with a glass of punch. The team are extremely approachable and were happy to answer all sorts of baking related questions! the group was small enough (6) that pace was really relaxed and we were able to decorate, chat and eat a cake or 2, before being offered a gift bag to save the rest :)

We were then taken through to the bar area where we were shown how to make a variety of cocktails before being let loose to try to recreate them ourselves (under the supervision of the experts ;) In all, we made (and drank) a fair few ;)

We left, very merry - with cakes, and recipes for our favourite cocktails and the lerfect cupcakes.

Thoroughly enjoyable, well organised and can highly recommend it - i'll definitely do it again :)
Best leave the car at home, too!!

2  Thank Edawson78
Graeme W, Sales and Marketing Exec at Tennent's Training Academy, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you for your great review of the Cupcakes and cocktails class, its always great to hear positive feedback on our courses, we are constantly looking to develop our courses however it is essential to us that we keep the pieces our guests enjoy most. We are planning to take our cupcakes to a whole new level in the next few weeks so make sure you stay in touch and come back to visit us again soon!

Thanks again,
Graeme

Reviewed April 23, 2012

For Christmas I was treated to a Cookery Masterclass voucher and it was, without doubt, the best present ever! I have been to a few cookery schools (Nick Nairns, Peckhams etc), and this was by far the best. The staff were all friendly and professional and head chef John Quinn had a great way of making sure every member of the class enjoyed their day - no one felt intimidated, despite the mix of people being from novice cooks to the more experienced home cook. Everybody met informally for coffee/tea and freshly baked shortbread and John gave an overview of what to expect from the day. We then had a demonstration of each dish and after cooking it, we all sat together and ate our creations washed down with some wine or beer! On that day we made red/yellow pepper soup and fragrant chicken pilaff. On booking I explained I was vegetarian and I had the recipe adapted for me using wild mushrooms. Throughout the day he also demonstrated some dishes we weren't cooking but could try at home (ice cream, shortbread, cocktails!). On departure we were handed a lovely canvas shopping bag with the recipes and money off vouchers. I enjoyed the experience so much that I've booked to go back in May.

Graeme W, Sales & Marketing Exec at Tennent's Training Academy, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Hi Jacqui,

It is always great to hear that people have enjoyed their time with us and especialy to hear they plan to return. I know that John always likes to make sure everyone has a great time is catered for whether it is ability level or dietary requirements. I hope that you have been trying your recipes out at home and that you will be using the voucher you received on the course to come back to visit us for another class soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

I did a full day baking course in March 2012 and had a fantastic day. I wasn't sure what to expect but was amazed to get the opportunity to work with Head Chef John Quinn on over 10 different cakes and dishes, including lemon and ricotta cakes, chocolate fudge cakes, shortbread towers and lemon meringue pies. I definitely learned a lot of good tricks for baking that I'll use at home.

The facilities at the school are also among the best I've seen. The kitchen is spacious and feels brand new. The gadgets, including the blenders and mixers, are are also top quality. Chef John was knowledgeable about everything we were doing and was happy to answer my many questions! The course was also good value for money. I would definitely recommend any of the courses at the Tennent's Training Academy. I'll definitely be back!

Hi Fiona,

Thank you very much for your review of the Academy and I am glad you had such a good time with us. I know we have seen you back again since your first visit and we cant wait to see you back in our kitchen again soon!

P.S - Everyone in TTA loved your pictures and we have been showing them off to everyone.