“Small, hidden coffee place in Glasgow's West End”
Review of Artisan Roast

Artisan Roast
Ranked #31 of 130 Coffee & Tea in Glasgow
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I walked by Artisan Roast for several months without noticing it. Unlike Offshore at the corner, it's quite easy to miss if you don't know that it's there. Nevertheless, since my friend took me once, I hardly go for a coffee elsewhere. The place is quite small, and has very cosy atmosphere; I often go there only by myself to read a book. I don't know much about coffee, but I enjoy the one served at Artisan Roast, and even I can tell that it's hundred times better than what you usually get at the coffeehouse chains. The staff seems bit distracted at times, but I always received what I ordered, and usually it didn't take much time.

Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Artisan roast should work: its in a perfect location; great value for coffee/food in the west end; relaxed & comfortable set up. I have visited on many occasions, desperate to make this place my 'local' coffee house (as the coffee standard never falters)... However, the service has been consistently poor. Staff are too interested in their own appearance to notice anyone or anything else. This pretentious, too cool for coffee attitude results in them not bothering to get your order right and then just shrugging it off. They have a skill for making the paying customer feel uncomfortable & inferior when only trying to make some normal, friendly chat! Unbelievable! Sadly I will not be returning, the coffee - not the attitudes - will be sorely missed.

2  Thank weemunchyheed
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We only had coffee here so I'm not reviewing the food. Having carried out an extensive search to find the best coffee in Glasgow (Tinderbox on Ingram St., by the bye!), I have noticed that, in general, the standard of service in coffee shops is really lacking. This place is no different! I think it must be something to do with baristas having skills on top of standard waiting requirements and therefore an inflated sense of self-importance...

The coffee was good; better than Costa et al, but not outstanding. Service is to your table as opposed to from the bar which is a nice touch, but it seems to result in the coffees being a bit cooler than they should be! Pricing was appropriate considering the standard; neither here nor there. The toilets were a bit disappointing- they could really do with a clean and a fresh lick of paint!

I wouldn't avoid this place in future, but I won't be rushing back.

Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

How do I elaborate? I am a coffee snob admittedly. However, these people are so condescending and pretentious that they could never believe someone might know as much about their 'profession' as they do. You work in a coffee shop it's semi skilled labour chaps get over yourselves. The home baking is poor/mediocre at best. The coffee is ok but slightly over roasted to my taste. However it is the poor service mentioned in other reviews and the pretensions of exclusivity that really irritate. Perhaps it is a cafe catering for Anzacs and homeless edinburghers, and if that's your thing you might be happy here. If not go to paper cup a few hundred meters away they do proper coffee and are nice.

1  Thank Dave1408
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I'm a coffee snob. There, I've said it. I am picky about what I call a good cup, but artisan truly is fantastic, being one of the few places that serves pour over coffee. I went fora chewed of their single origin Brazilian. Beautiful drink. The staff were extremely friendly, however, I waited in excess of half an hour. Now, they were very busy, which may be why, but I still felt it was very slowly.

Overall however, worth a visit for the coffee addict. Would go again