“Excellent food, nice atmosphere”

Browns Brasserie & Bar
Ranked #189 of 2,411 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Glasgow is a city dominated by impressive Victorian architecture, and Browns is right in the centre of the city. Housed in the iconic 130 year old ex-General Post Office building, the GPO headquarters until 1969, when it became the Post Office. Now it's a stylishly decorated, relaxed 300 seater brasserie and bar, perfect for morning coffee, lunch, dinner or cocktails in between exploring the many delights of Glasgow. Come and enjoy one of the most vibrant, dynamic, stylish cities in Europe.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Visited Browns for the first time on Wednesday - booked in for 5.45. We were seated as soon as wee arrived and were told our waiter for dinner was Stuart. We were able to order from amixure of a la carte as well as early menu. The meal was presnted very quickly after ordering. I had the pot roast gammon with buttered potatoes and it was superb, friends had kings prawn cocktail - she reported as being delicious, another had the chicken breast which was great another friend had the steak sandwich which was good but a wee bit underdown for her taste. Cost of bottled wine was a bit expensive- £25. The 12% service charge for a party of five or more seems a bit much as its as easy to serve 5 people as serving 2 people who may be picky!!The atmospher was great as the piano player was on as he is on Thurs & Sundays as well. Although they have a 2 hours seating policy, we still seated at our table for almost 3 hours with nothing said.
Overall a pleasant evening and I will be returning.

• Hungarian first
Dingwall, United Kingdom
“Very nice !”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I went to Browns for my birthday and the meal was brilliant. Staff were very attentive and the meal and drinks were value for money, would highly recommend.

• Visited April 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
“Excellent location.”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Ideally situated in George Square serving an extensive lunch and dinner menu. Good bar area and cocktails - well worth the visit.

Visited March 2013
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Browns dinner not up to the mustard...”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We went to Browns on the recommendation of a friend who said that the steak was superb. We'd had a day in Glasgow shopping and 'cocktailing' and wanted somewhere nice to eat. We considered the Grill Room (very nice but been a few times and fancied something different), or maybe The Corinthian (again very nice but fancied something else), and so we went to Browns. We didn't have a booking, but there were plenty of available tables so we decided to stay. To be fair from the start, the service was excellent, and I don't have any gripes with the staff. Courteous and efficient.
My problem was with the quality of the food. We both had the fillet for our main, medium rare, as we always have it. The meat was, probably, medium rare, i.e. it was pink in the middle and cooked on the outside. It was also tough, tasteless, and not a pleasant experience. Should have known better at this point than to try my acid test for a restaurant. I had the creme brûlée. WOW. I reckon this had been made WELL in advance and stored. I like my brûlée to be silky and fresh. This was how I remember Bird's Trifle custard from the seventies. Oh and for 2 courses and a bottle of house white... £75 thank you very much. Without a tablecloth! Sat near the bar. I can almost feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it. Unlike Arnie, I won't be back....

• Visited May 2013
“Big Expectations. A Major Disappointment. Well below average.”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Went here for a celebration meal. Booked our table for 7.00pm and arrived at 6.50 pm.No one there to serve us or take us to our table.Waiters looked over, but never came near. We went downstairs, as we thought we were in the wrong place.That turned out to be the toilets. Really an unwelcoming arrival. Other folk arrived and waited behind us too. After another 5 minutes, one of the waiters came over and took us to a table. My first impressions was that this was a sloppy joint.

I wasnt wrong. The waiter tried to be decent, until he said " Tonight is Lobster night, will i bother going through this option with you?" I went there for the Lobster and asked him to go through the options. I went for their Surf and Turf, one of my favourites. What a mistake. It tuned out to be half a Lobster ( The smallest Lobster ive saw in my life) and a minute steak.I was lucky to get two mouth fulls out of the half lobster. For £25.00, i expected something decent. But i was really let down. My wifes lamb dish was also pretty avarage. The starters were also never home made. The coleslaw tasted as if it was pre packed out of a tub...

What i will say is that this place promised a lot, but really did fail to deliver. Its a fantastic site with avaerage service and below avarage food. I feel very let down as this was booked for a celebration and just to try a new place which was recommended.

To summarise, i would call it a badly run Brewers Fayre. With some top notch places in Glasgow, i would give this place a miss.We wont be back.