“Excellent value for money!”

Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #48 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeenshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We booked this hotel as it is close to the Hydro, has a pool and was at a good price. The staff were very friendly. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. The furniture is dated but it's clean and comfy! Free wifi. Ice machine. Nice bar.
We will definitely stay here again - next time we have a gig to go to!

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and overlooked the Clyde.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
traceyice
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Enjoyed a lovely weekend at the Menzies with my mum and daughter. Good sized room with every thing that was needed. The rooms are very warm and you cannot open the windows, the decor needs to be updated, however the rooms are clean and comfortable.
The pool, sauna and steam areas are lovely. Did not use the treatments this time, but tried the hot stone massage previously, it is to die for!
Breakfast was very busy, the Scottish breakfast buffet option was quite good, but the kippers were lovely and a better choice.
Location is great, with easy access to all of the city.
Would go back again.b

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed in this hotel last night, Friday 4th April 2014, as I was going to a concert at The Hydro.
We arrived about 2pm and got access to our room straight away. The room does have old fashioned furniture, but the bed was comfortable and the room was spacious, very clean, quiet and quickly reached. There are ice machines on each landing. We went to the leisure club and used the pool and the jacuzzi which were both the best I have seen at chain hotels. We had breakfast which gave you a choice of several things, cereals, fruit, cheese, croissants, pastries and fried food.

We found that The Hydro and the nightlife were all within walking distance and even if you didn't want to walk, the taxi fare was very cheap. The hotel has a car park which only cost £4 for 24 hours, which again was very reasonable (and secure)

We booked the week before and the rate was very good in relation to the standard of the hotel. I wouldn't class this as a high end 4* hotel, but then I wouldn't expect a high end 4* hotel for the rates offered.

I can't comment on the staff as we had no cause to contact them.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel as it met our expectations for being in Glasgow to go for a meal (Rotunda Yen and the Italian are highly recommended), attend the Hydro, experience the nightlife and relax in the pool, jacuzzi etc.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Myself and the missus had booked a night in one of their delux double rooms as we were attending a gig. On arrival we were told that there was availability problems since booking our room and they had upgraded us to an apartment at no extra cost. Staff were great the apartment was brilliant and breakfast was also delivered to the apartment which saved us having to face a crowd while hungover. All in all a great place to stay

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My friend and I decided to book a night away in Glasgow and we stayed in the Menzies Hotel. Bedroom very spacious and comfortable. Room service for food and drinks was overpriced. Pool and Jacuzzi were excellent - especially as we were the only people using the facilities.

Room Tip: We were on second floor - room was quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We spent 2 nights at this hotel and were disappointed. The hotel is completely overrated. Rooms are spacious but furniture used to have better times, maybe15 years ago. The worst was that my WC did'nt run very well and when I arrived to the room it had a spoiled smell. I realized thereafter that it came from the WC, as I had to call and ask the reception to take care of this issue twice!. The people came to the room and left the toilette dirty. When you arrive from a all-day long conference you want to enjoy a nice shower and not to see how dirty they left your bathroom! Another "no way" point for a 4 stars hotel: the fridge was empty! I compained at the receiption and instead of filling the fridge they just limited to give me two small bottles of water. The first night I had to order one water and pay it by my own in the restaurtant! No chips, peanuts or anything else available in the room. The staff was friendly, but they limited to do their job and did not show any special attention to the guests. Breakfast was awful, I could't decide what to choose and not because everything looked tasty, but because everything looked uneatable. I would never recomment this hotel, specially the relation price-service is terrible!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Eilrug

Thank you for your review and I was very sorry to read you were disappointed with regard to your stay and please accept my apololgies. I have tried to contact you via the site to understand more about your stay and to speak to you directly, I have not had any response to my e-mail.

In relation to your room I would agree that the hotel has a more traditional look and feel to it than our newer competitors. I would however clarify that the standard of the case goods are still as good as the day they were fitted – I am sorry that you felt they were of a 3 star standard but understand your points.

In relation to the toilet and the flushing mechanism I believe the concierge did come up to try to resolve it which they managed to do. Sadly, with all mechanical parts we do not know they have failed until it happens I am sorry your room was affected. I was however very concerned that you felt they left your bathroom untidy and have ensure this has been resolved so no other guest is affected in this way as that is certainly not indicative.

In relation to your comments in relation to Fridges in the rooms – our standard rooms are provided with Mini Fridges which are not stocked and I am sorry if this was not clarified with you at the time. We do have executive rooms and apartments that have extra toiletries, bathrobes and the mini bar is stocked with soft drinks and snacks. It would appear as a gesture the team put in mineral water.

Your comments re breakfast I cannot understand as we get very positive feedback with relation to our breakfast offering with over 100 various items on our buffets and I can only apologise.

I am really sorry that you did not speak to my management team as I am sure that if you had done so we could have explained about your room booking and would have done all we could to ensure your stay in Glasgow was to your total satisfaction.

I do hope that I can welcome you back in the future and please do contact me directly in the future.

Sincerely

Philip
Philip Mellor
Regional General Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Day delegate at a conference. Food fabulous and lovely little touches e.g. Bacon rolls at start! However, staff need to put additional flasks of coffee out as I went to get a cup at all 3 breaks and it was empty and had to actively go and search for staff!!

Room Tip: Did not sleep but cannot switch off!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business