“Ideal Leisure Break !” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Kincardineshire, Scotland
“Ideal Leisure Break !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2011

Stayed here on Saturday 26th March , myself and my 15yr old daughter, and thanks to Trip Advisor's Upgrade Voucher which I printed out the night before, we were given a large spacious Apartment in the original Rice Mill part of the building! Thanks TA !!!
On arrival at Queen Street station, just hopped into a taxi which was approx £4.50 as I wasnt sure of my bearings. We checked in with no problems by a friendly receptionist and were able to get into our room well before the stated checkin time which was good.
The apartment itself had a lounge area with complimentary minibar stocked with goodies, flat screen tv, cd player, hairdryer, iron etc and a great wee kitchen area with all you would need to self cater, fridge , microwave etc. The outer wall where the window was, was exposed brick with mood lighting and wooden floor. Bathroom was big with a separate power shower cubicle and bath. Also a large sink area with the usual toiletries. The bedroom was also very spacious with the same brickwork at the window and a flat screen tv also . Plenty space for luggage and storage. Two comfy single beds. Only gripes about the apartment were a couple of lightbulbs out but didnt bother to get this sorted as wasnt an issue as plenty of other lighting. There was an odd ticking sound above the kitchen area every so often but with bedroom door closed, didnt hear anything. Lovley peaceful sleep!
I chose this hotel for proximity to SECC as we had tickets for McFly, and also for closeness to shops and rail station. If you go out of hotel , turn right and up some stairs you are on Argyle St and about an easy 8 min walk straight down to Central Station and shopping areas. For the SECC , turn left out of hotel down to end of road, turn right and a 15 minute stroll , straight along by the River gets you there. Easy peasy !!
The Hotel's leisure club is Waves and has a smashing pool and hot tub/steamroom/sauna which we used. Costs £1 for locker/towel hire .Great to have a dedicated swimming lane as well ! Breakfast was ample , hot and cold buffet ,fruits/ yogurts, cereals . juices etc . Only issue was I had to ask twice for tea/toast but restaurant was quite busy, but again only a minor thing for me anyway !
The hotel has a Savannah Beauty Therapy centre and we both had a Hydrotherm Back/neck/shoulder massage on the Sunday after checking out , which was pure heaven ! The staff were so pleasant and friendly, as were all the other hotel staff. The concierge kept our luggage and shopping as we went back for more retail therapy before catching a cab back to Queen street from the hotel and this time was only £3.60 !
Would definately stay here again. Thank you to all the hotel staff for making my daughters birthday treat memorable !

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Jennifer30
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your excellent review, I was delighted that you had a great stay with us and I have passed on your feedback to my team. I was pleased to read that from the moment you checked in that we exceeded your expectations and you made use of all the facilities in the hotel.

I was pleased to read that you took the opportunity to utilise our great offer that we are currently promoting with Trip advisor in relation to the apartments and saw the benefit of this room type
and thank you for your brilliant feedback in regard to your particular apartment I was however disappointed to read that a couple of light bulbs had failed and have asked that my Maintenance Manager and Head Housekeeper investigate and rectify this.

I was pleased to read your great review of our Waves Leisure club and Savannah spa and I will ensure your thanks are passed on to the team members.

Thanks you also for your kind comments in regard to the friendliness our team and I will ensure they share in your kind praise.

I do hope it will not be too long before we can welcome you back to Glasgow

Philip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Polish first
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

We had one night DBB here on a recent trip to Glasgow.

The hotel is of a great standard, good location, easy walking distance onto Argyle Street but far enough away to avoid all the hustle and bustle of a noisy city centre hotel. Room spacious and clean, all public areas recently refurbed. We stayed on a particuarly busy weekend (Aberdeen-Celtic match) so perhaps not the best reflection of service and standards in the bar and restaurant, that said reception and concierge were faultless I assume the service staff were harrassed. We made the mistake of not pre-booking so could not be seated until 9pm, service in the bar was, slow, disorganised and somewhat grudged I felt, we also couldn't get a seat in the bar area so sat in the lobby (which was fine by us, we had a pleasant chat with the concierge (whose name esacpes me! sorry!) couldn't fault the food it was well presented and hot when it arrived but service was slow and sloppy (from some staff) there were a couple of shining stars in the restaurant who well and truly earn their money!
Breakfast was a well stocked, hot and cold buffet again service was a problem waiting for coffee and toast while tables who had arrived after us were being served before us (minor gripes but easily solved nonetheless), guests arriving after us (0830ish) were then queing out the door for a table and then for the buffet.

Over all a pleasant hassle free stay with a few minor gripes over service, I would put it down to it being a busy weekend and wouldn't have expected any different in any of the other hotels across the city at such a busy time and won't let it put me off returning.

Location, price and overall standards of facilites make this a sound choice for a few nights in the city.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks for submitting your great review following your stay. I was however sorry to read that your experience in regard to the restaurant service did not meet with your expectations in certain areas.Please be assured that following your review we have begun a period of refresher training and please accept my apologies for this.

Thanks again for your review and I hope I can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sincerely

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

Had a fantastic stay here: the staff were very helpful, the room was lovely and the facilities were good (including a lovely pool/spa area). Despite being on a main road, the room was nice and quiet at night. The food is slightly overpriced but good nonetheless.
This hotel is on the edge of the city centre towards the West End, and a short walk from Central Station and to shopping areas. It is a 20 minute walk to the Glasgow School of Art and Kelvingrove Art Gallery. Not the best area to walk back to at night as a solo female, but certainly very handy for cabs etc.
Very highly recommended, especially for the price I got online which worked out at £65 per night.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review. I was delighted you had a fantastic stay with us and appreciate your kind comments and recommendation. I will ensure that my team share in your kind praise.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Glasgow in the near future.

Monchengladbach, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

I was on a short business trip to Glasgow & a friend had recommended the Menzies Hotel to me. It was ideally situated for my needs, well appointed and surprisingly quiet given its close proximity to the M8 Motorway. The airport bus stop is only a short walk from the hotel. I'll certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review. I was delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found all the staff to be friendly and welcoming. I will ensure they share in your kind praise.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Glasgow in the near future.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

We travelled to Glasgow on Friday March 11th in a large group of family to see Mama Mia at the Armadillo, SECC. Booked the tickets a year ago and the accommodation a little later. Great deal online with Dinner included on one night. To be honest we didn't expect much considering the extremely low price we paid, but wanted a central hotel within walking distance of the SECC.
The hotel staff were superb on our arrival. A lovely bit of banter signalled a great relaxed vibe which continued throughout our stay from all members of the Menzies Team. The room was huge, two double beds for my mom and I. Lovely clean bathrooms with clean white towels and a fantastic power shower.
We required a small surprise letter printed and the staff on the desk gladly helped design and set out the short letter (for a belated 60th birthday gift). They even sent a card from the hotel which was a lovely touch.
Dinner was superb. Great choice (although the Thai fishcakes had gone by our pm reservation .....next time I'm having them!). I loved the Pate and the Chicken stuffed with Haggis! The cheesecake was also delish! Well done Chef!
Breakfast was more or less an eat as much as you can buffet and it started off our day really well.
We were within walking distance of the Armadillo (15mins) and on our late return decided on a drink at the bar. Dennis, the bar man, who was actually serving at the Wedding upstairs, was a star and gladly helped us get a drinks order in. Good humour too. We comfortably sat in the reception area until 1am. Our weekend passed so very quickly.
Age groups in our group varied from 36 to almost 70 and all enjoyed every minute of our stay. All said we would return and I have already recommended the hotel to others and hinted to my husband that we should venture back to Glasgow soon! He can pay the next time!
My only constructive criticism would be that the room did get quite cold...possibly due to the inclement weather. More bottled water in the room would also be fantastic.
All in all a great stay and we will definitely come back...if the hotel will accept us "trouble makers!" ....as the reception staff instantly labelled us on arrival!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It was very nice to read your very kind comments about the Brasserie and in particular dinner – I have passed on your great comments about the “Cheesecake” to my Head Chef and his team - thanks again.

Thank you also for your kind comments in regard to the friendliness our team and I will ensure they share in your kind praise.

I do hope it will not be too long before we can welcome you back to Glasgow

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Menzies. Location great for both shops and SECC. Dinner and breakfast were excellent and the kids loved the pool while the adults toasted in the jaccuzi. Rooms were spacious and clean. Staff helpful and friendly. Would definitley stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review, I was very pleased to read that you had a fabulous weekend stay with us and we exceeded your expectations in every department .

I was pleased to read that you made use of all the facilities in the hotel and thank you also for you kind comments in regard to our Wave Leisure Club.

Once again many thanks for your kind review and I hope to meet you on your next visit to the hotel

Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

Everything about this hotel was not 4 star unless you consider the over priced menu in the bistro.
The room was dingy and the bathroom smelt fusty. The free wifi and flat screen television were only saving grace.
The maitre d did a competent job but other waiting staff need lots more training.
As for breakfast, not great. Felt rushed and the cooked buffet was awful - the egg was like one of those rubber eggs you can buy as a decoration and it was cold.
All in all disappointing as I had heard that this was a nice hotel. I will not be back.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback in relation to your stay and please accept my sincere apologies for the issues that you experienced and for your disappointment.

I did try to contact you directly through the site to learn more about your stay, and your comments in relation to your room allocation and issues that you experience within your room. I am very sorry that you did not bring these to attention of the team as I am sure that had we had the opportunity we could have resolved them to your total satisfaction.

I do hope that you will re-consider returning to the hotel in the future and would ask that you contact me directly at philip.mellor@menzieshotels.co.uk should you have a requirement