“Superb and I would stay again”

Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre South Hotel
Ranked #19 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Todmorden, United Kingdom
“Superb and I would stay again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

I guess when you book a Premier Inn you know pretty well what you are going to get. I have to say that this particular hotel is the best PI I've stayed in. The staff where extremely friendly and helpful. The room was great with a large spacious shower. The in-house restaurant was busy, but the food was good with only a short delay despite the throngs of guests.

For me, best of all was the location. Just 10 minutes walk into the heart of Glasgow. On a rainy night, you would need to drive or get a taxi, but on a balmy Summers evening, the walk was not a problem. And because the hotel is not in the city centre, the room rate is a bit cheaper.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
David B, Manager at Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre South Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Billpilk57,

Thank you for the kind review of Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre South.

I was very happy to read that you had such a lovely stay with us. the team do work very hard to try and make sure that every single guest has the best possible experience when they stay with us. We share all feedback among the team and they will be pleased to read your comments.

I am glad the location suited you especially when you seem to have stayed on a rare sunny evenings we have in Glasgow. Hopefully the next time you visit, you bring the good weather with you, and we can welcome you back to City South.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here for a few nights recently. Nice clean and a recently refurbished bar and restaurant. Typical premier inn great beds and an excellent breakfast.

I'm not gone on the restaurant menu, was even less gone on the chips i sent back because they were stale being sent back out to me after being put into the microwave to heat back up and being told they were cooked fresh. When i mentioned this to the restaurant manager she dealt with the issue in a very courteous and professional manner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Shambills
David B, Manager at Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre South Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Shambills,

Thank you for the review of Premier Inn. I am glad that you found the new look City Centre South to your satisfaction.

I was sorry to read that your experience in the restautrant was not what you expected and I would like the opportuinity to discuss this with you. My email address is operationsmanager.glasgowcitycentresouth.

Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We were looking for something close to the City Center with available parking, and we found this wonderful place. The parking is free, behind a gated entry and a fence. There is a restaurant, with excellent food and service, a full service bar (open until 2:00 a.m.), and the bed was extremely comfortable. We arrived early, as we had flown in from the States, and were able to get into a room, despite being before the official check-in time. I think that the room was actually bigger than the one we had reserved. The cost (booked online and paid in advance) was 29 pounds. I find it hard to believe that the price was so low, with the hotel being so close to downtown. The room was quiet, even with the window open because the weather was so warm by Scottish standards. Wifi was free for the first 30 minutes, then 3 pounds for the rest of a one night stay.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We were able to leave our car after check out in order to have lunch with a friend in the city, and used the subway for transportation -- there is a station nearby, and it is easy to use.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Gordon M,

Thank you for the lovely review of Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre South.
I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. The team work very hard to deliver the best possible experience for our guests, and they will be really happy to read your comments.

I hope that the reast of your visit to Glasgow was as enjoyable, and should you return to Scotland, I hope we can welcome you back to Glasgow City Centre South.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Located about 3 blocks from George Square, clean and inexpensive. Staff was helpful but when asked for a wake-up call the response was we don't do that. Our room had a view of the church and cemetery next door. Restaurant/bar was woefully understaffed when we tried to have a meal on our arrival on a Sunday evening.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ilkley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed for one night. The booking was made on the day of travel online with no fuss. The service we received as excellent, especially from Lorraine on Reception (who sang Donald Where's Your Trousers with my very excited son). The room was spacious and clean. It would have been nice to have had air conditioning but we opened the windows to let in some cool air and the noise from outside was limited. Great breakfast in the morning. Good choice. Overall a great, hassle free stay enhanced greatly by the lovely staff. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sue L,

Many thanks for the lovely review of Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre South.

It is always nice to see that a guest has enjoyed there stay, but particularly so, when the team have been able to put that extra shine on a memorable visit. All our feedback is passed on to the team to help motivate and coach them, and they will be delighted to read your comments. I will definately make a point of asking Lorraine to show off her singing skills to me!

I hope you come to visit us again soon.

St Arnaud, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We had previously stayed at this particular location twice in June of this year and were pleased with the service and hotel. Based upon the previous experience we had we decided to book again for the night of the 10th of July, the night before we were due to fly back home to Australia.

Let's get the good bits out of the way first. The room was, as it was on each other occasion, clean with very comfortable beds. When we went to the restaurant for a very lovely dinner and breakfast we found the staff to be very helpful and attentive. As we were checking out the lady on duty was, like the vast majority of the staff, very helpful, pleasant and more than willing to help out. All the things that one would expect from a hotel.

Checking in was a different matter.

As we were checking in we were greeted by the staff member of duty and after giving our name we were hit with the three standard Premier Inn check-in questions...1) What is your nationality? 2) What is your car registration number? 3) Can you please sign down the bottom?

So far so good. It was here that the check-in went astray. Upon seeing that I was Australian I was told that I needed to provide my passport number, the country in which it was issued and also the address of my next destination.

I questioned the need for this, after all we had stayed with Premier Inn a few times already during this holiday and had never been asked for any other details except for the standard three questions. We had also stayed with other hotels and B&Bs and had never had to furnish this.

She insisted that I must provide the information as it was "the law" and all the other places had been doing it wrong. I was told that she could provide me with the required legislation if I wanted it. I asked to have a copy.

I refused to provide the information but after what seemed about 5 minutes of to and fro I had it implied to me by the receptionist that I would not have a room for the night if this wasn't done. Protesting to the end, I provided the information much to the smug delight of the receptionist who seemed to be enjoying her power trip.

Papers!! It had a real ring of cold war Eastern Europe to it.

Later on the receptionist passed on the relevant legislation to my wife who happened to be passing through reception at the time. I met the Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972 for the first time.

As I read through the Order, I noted that this order applies to all aliens (as defined by the British Nationality Act of 1948) over 16 who stay in hotels in the UK. The Nationality act defines an alien as a person NOT from Britain, the Republic of Ireland or a Commonwealth country.

Australia is a Commonwealth country. The reason that why I was never asked for a passport number at other hotels is that it was NOT required.

To top it off, after checking in my invoice from Premier Inn was emailed to me. There is a line of text above the passport information details that says 'Exception ROI and COMMONWEALTH'.

Rather than an argument at reception with the implication of a refusal of service perhaps the receptionist should actually bone up on the requirements of the Hotel Records Order. Hiding behind the 'it's the law' argument without understanding what the 'law' actually is pretty ordinary.

I have no issue in giving up my passport number to the relevant authorities, however I do object when it’s to a power hungry hotel receptionist.

It is a shame that this incident at check-in put a dampener on my stay.

I would stay there again, but won't be tolerating the gestapo check-in attitude.

If it wasn't for the check in, service would have been rated as excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Oswald_Q_Ostrich
Dear Oswald_Q_Ostrich,

Thank you for the review of Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre South.

I am sorry that you had such a poor experience when you checked in. I would like to discuss your concerns and hopefully restore some faith in Premier Inn. I can be contacted via email which is operationsmanager.glasgowcitycentresouth@premierinn.com.

In the meantime, thank you for the lovely comments that you left about the restaurant team, which I will be passing on to the team.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

One of the best Premier Inns I've stayed in. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean with a big walk in shower and a large TV. The reception was being refurbished at the time and I didn't hear a single bit of noise from it. My only down point was that I wanted to watch the England match but it wasn't on Scottish TV! So I paid £3 for WIFI but I couldn't watch it online either the jokers! Other than that a nice stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Richard B,

Thank you for the lovely review of Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre South.

I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that the reception team were able to be helpful and add to that experience.

I hope you continue to stay with Premier Inn and hopefully in the future, your team meet the same expectation as your hotel!