“An excellent day out on the Clyde coast.”

Waverley Excursions
Ranked #67 of 284 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Waverley is the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world. Offering Day, Afternoon and Evening Cruises from a port near you! Enjoy unrivalled access to Britain's Coasts, Rivers and Islands.Magnificently restored with towering funnels, timber decks, gleaming varnish and brass. See and hear the mighty engines - they will provide a whiff of nostalgia for some but are sure to impress all!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

On the recommendation of the landlord of the guesthouse I'm staying in I went out for the day on the Waverley the last seagoing paddle steamer. I did the Tuesday excursion which included the Isle of Arran. It was a bit on the damp side when we left and I recommend you take a waterproof jacket with you, but although it wasn't perfect bright weather I had a great time. The crew are very pleasant and the atmosphere was one of great good humour. Be aware that if it is inclement that seats under cover are at a premium and you don't have an allocated seat. It can be a little like musical chairs. I thought that the money was good value to see areas I had no other way of seeing. A mix of people included bird watchers and vintage travel enthusiasts. I loved it.

All reviews
"isle of arran"
"the upper deck"
"lovely trip"

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had a good day out on Sunday 21st...but have to say it was the company i was with and the scenery that made the trip memorable....was VERY DISAPPOINTED with the staff on board, who did nothing to make the trip enjoyable..in fact one male member of the crew who took tickets and worked the the pursers office was very rude...tried to make you feel they were doing you a favour allowing you on.

6  Thank carol m
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Ventured out on the five island cruise and was not disappointed. The weather and water conditions were perfect as we set off from Greenock at 10.30am last Thursday. With pick ups/drop offs at Millport,Dunoon,Largs, Helensburgh etc we eventually arrived at Brodick on the isle of Arran around 3.15pm, just in time for an Arran Dairy Ice Cream! Delish indeed! The five islands were Cumbrae,Bute, Arran and then a tour around Pladda and the Holy Isle(we didn't do that bit) and then back via the various docks we arrived back at Greenock around 9.45 pm. Everyone on the boat was really friendly and service was excellent. Take a picnic or dine inside the hull at one of the two eating areas. You can pop down and visit the engine rooms and chat with the staff who at very knowledgable and willing to answer the kids umpteen questions. It is very warm in there though, so be prepared! Would definately recommend. There are loads of shorter trips if the whole day out is not for you or just want to visit a specific island. Would be a great gift for someone. We'll be back next year!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

A day 'going doon the water'. Marvellous. Having heard so much but never been on the waverley despite 40 years of living in Glasgow we took a day trip on Friday 19 July, sitting on the rear top deck just soaking in the sun just a little too much.
Coming back after a stop in Rothesay (we chose to stay on board) we had a snack and a meal on board. Nice.
Its a great experience. I watched the engines twice - magical - I remember the paddle steamer on the Newport Ferry run 50 years ago and memories came flooding back. Thats me. I'm hooked. We will book for another excursion before the end of the month ! And I'll join the group who support this wonderful treasure.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We bought vouchers from Itison and decided on a day and date. A Monday, which meant we could join the ship in Glasgow - an hour's drive for us. I phoned to check the route - Largs, Ayr and an afternoon cruise round Ailsa Craig. First of all the ship - she's lovely, all wooden panelling and generally of her time. And those engines! Steam powered by 3 triple-expansion cylinders, turning at an estimated 60rpm and driving the ship along at a fair lick (nautical for fastish). The ships PA worked only intermittently, unless you were the Purser, who was keen for everyone to exchange their Itison vouchers, convert their on-line purchases, and buy tickets for the bus from Ayr to Glasgow (not included in the Itison price, but in no way rendering the Itison purchase unattractive. The self- service food was OK. The bar was expensive. The tearoom a delight and personned by a charming East European girl, with a passion for neatness and cleanliness, which was a true pleasure to witness. So the lack of PA was also compounded by a lack of useful info about the journey e.g. How long from Glasgow to Largs & could we get off for an ice cream at Nardini's. answer 2hrs 30, and no. How long from Largs to Ayr, and what attractions are there in Ayr rather than circling Ailsa Craig. Answer, 2 hours, and apparently none! The Ailsa Craig cruise was super - PA working again and used both by the Waverley chappie and a well-informed bloke from the RSPB. It was a jolly long day for us - 0800 to 2100 - that's 11 of your terrestrial hours. I think I'll take a shorter trip if I do it again.