“Nice Trip, but”

Ranked #80 of 339 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Waverley is the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world. Offering Day, Afternoon and Evening Cruises from a port near you! Enjoy unrivalled access to Britain's Coasts, Rivers and Islands.Magnificently restored with towering funnels, timber decks, gleaming varnish and brass. See and hear the mighty engines - they will provide a whiff of nostalgia for some but are sure to impress all!
Reviewed February 4, 2013

A nice day out but I would recommend to try and avoid a weekend. There are a lot of people seem to treat it as a bit of a booze cruise. When we went there were a hen doo and a crowd of blokes who seemed to just stay on and drink.
The downstairs bar had live music which was too loud for our taste. Not enough seats.
The engine room was interesting. I think if you can go during the week it would be much more pleasant.

1  Thank gusngazesdad
in 10 reviews
"lovely trip"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Title says it all really, I had about 6 of us wanting to go on the Waverley from south Wales to Lundy but the sailing was cancelled with a couple of days to go because she was still in dry dock undergoing planned works. A real shame as last time I went on her I really enjoyed it but this was clearly a dissapointment.

6  Thank MarkHerefordshire
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Well, I think the title says it all, I booked a one way cruise from the Isle of Man to Whitehaven, where I had pre booked a hotel and the train tickets home from Whitehaven. Took the Steam Packet ferry from Liverpool to Douglas and stayed for 2 nights, had a call the day before the cruise saying it wouldn't be running (despite the Balmoral being in Douglas Harbour, somewhat tantalisingly), due to weather. I suppose it's not really thier fault but to say I was dissapointed would be understatement, and clearly we then had to book tickets on the standard ferries, book annother nights accomodation on the Island and cancel our hotel in Whitehaven. Very dissapointing indeed, as I say though, weather related, but if you can't rely on the service to run how can you plan around them? I'm sure if I'd have been able to sail it'd have had a great day but since about 70% of the reason for going to the Isle of Man was to sail onboard the Balmoral clearly this was a great dissapointment

6  Thank MarkHerefordshire
Reviewed January 21, 2013

so interesting being on the steamer a great day out and we got the best day of the year weather wise

See more reviews
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a truly fantastic experience on two levels. First, the Waverley is the world's only remaining ocean going paddle steamer. Second, the scenery if fantastic (on a good day of course). I would recommend the Kyles of Bute sailing. If you have a choice of dates, don't feel pressurised to book in advance. The ship has never been full in my experience so it is better to wait and see what the weather is like on the day.