“hesitant to return”

Millennium Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #75 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Booked a double room bandb as had a business meeting in the city centre. Arrived at 11.30am and allocated a room, 306, dropped bags and left. On return I took a good look at this double room'. Bed was more 3/4 than double and had to turn sideways to get up side of bed!!! Called reception and advised that I did not think that 306 was double room nor double bed and that I was not happy with this and would like a different room. Was advised that bed was double and room was standard double but they would get back to me and advise if there was another room. Waited 15 mins no response so called again. Was told they were busy and would get back to me. Further 20 mins and call offering dfferent room. Room 320 club room much better. Breakfast was reasonable but fried eggs have to be ordered unfortuately my breakfast was fnished by the time eggs arrived one over cooked and one with uncooked albumen. Check out receptionist asked if stay alright advised her once moved from the cupboard of 306 it was fine she advised that 306 was 'small' double so if staff are aware of this why allocate this to a couple? State at booking you do not want room 306

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Upon arrival we were greeted by a professional, well turned-out receptionist. Our room was cosy and almost had a "homely" feel. Bathrooms do not have that typical hotel feel, instead it felt a bit like taking a shower in a friends house with fluffy towels, toiletries were available but we didn't use those. The room boasts high ceilings, crisp white sheets and overall exceptionally clean. They're are some aspects that could do with an update such as lighting but nothing to strike alarm and only noticeable with eagle eyes! Breakfast is worth it and is served buffet style. Again another super polished staff member seats you at your table and takes any refreshments order, again they were friendly and polite. It is clear that breakfast contains high quality produce with excellent sausages and bacon as well as other meat, also breakfast available for those who like some fresh fruit and yogurt. We will return with pleasure and also to have dinner as views overlooking george sq and a very tempting menu; look too good to refuse.
Thanks Millennium and thank-you to your staff.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Millenium Hotel is a well located on a major square, handy for public transport as well as the tourist board and the modern art gallery, short bus trip or a £3 taxi ride from Central station. The view from the public areas seemed odd now they have removed the Big Wheel from the square but it is still a good place for people watching.
The outstanding impression was the warmth and courtesy of the welcome at all levels (southern British hotels please copy!), including the reception staff's apologies for what was in fact a muddle over the booking by my client and not their fault at all.
A year after my first stay, some attempt has been made to cheer up the faded decor with what seemed to be new linens and perhaps the curtains, but the carpets and furniture still appeared shabby and worn in my room. Perhaps as it had been booked on a corporate discount rate, I was again in one of the dark rear rooms overlooking - and overlooked by - Queen St station (I understand some rooms have been refurbished). This time I managed to get a room with a double bed (rather than twin beds) and very comfortable it was too.
The old bathroom fittings still have the confusing shower control instructions (what on earth is "up" and "down" when you are faced with a circular knob to twist?) but this time I mastered them, although there was a shortage of hot water at 8 a.m. Nice toiletries and a face flannel (but one ridiculously small sliver of soap, so well cling-filmed that I broke a nail trying to get into it). Make up/shaving mirror and good lights.
Wardrobe (this time with trouser press but no ironing board), hairdrier (I found this wired into the bottom drawer on the right, just as I was about to give up), coffee/tea makings, good TV with many television and radio channels. Uncomfortable hard arm chair and small table, small working desk with the only free electrical sockets (no charging your laptop from the bed). Lighting in the bedroom was very dim even with everything turned on.
I like the security of needing a room key to work the lift, or access the stairs, from the lobby.
Compared with my memory from 2012, the restaurant menu was unchanged but the dinner somehow seemed to be not quite as good (maybe a case of familiarity breeding contempt), whereas breakfast was better, especially in that the grilled kipper was a proper kipper, albeit with head and tail removed, not the ubiquitous kipper fillets found in most hotels.
They still charge for wifi - I find this unacceptable! - but I got this free of charge this time by joining their Loyalty Club on arrival, and the internet connections were very good.
I cannot comment on the room rate since I was being paid for by a client organisation.

Room Tip: I'd prefer to stay in a front room with a view and some light despite possible traffic noise. I...
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I decided to book a night here last minute to spend our final day in Scotland after visiting friends. I got it for a great price, around £39 for a standard double , I couldn't have picked a handier spot. It was a 2 minute walk from Buchanan bus station and right beside the train station. I thought that this would have made it noisy but not at all. You are right in the centre of town so there was loads of restaurants and bars nearby. The bedroom was clean and bed was comfy , had everything we needed, tea and coffee facilities, decent bathroom with all the extras that you tend to miss when staying somewhere cheap. The staff were very professional and polite. All in all a nice stay. ideally suited for business trip.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here with my partner from her birthday. We liked the central location of the hotel & being right next to the train station. Before we arrived at the hotel we had requested one of the recently refurbished rooms at the front of the hotel & to be located away from the elevators. On arrival we were attended to very professionally & promptly. First impressions were good with regards to the décor, the layout of the foyer, restaurant & bar. However, when we entered our room which was located at the rear of the building overlooking the train station, we were horrified. The room was shabby,wallpaper peeling off, water stains on the walls & ceilings, cracked tiles in the bathroom & the room was freezing!!! Every 5 mins you could clearly hear the bing bong of the train station announcer. The breakfast was good, lacking white pudding or haggis to make a proper Scottish breakfast & the staff were attentive. We won't be staying here again as the room was so bad it's put us off & the fact that we made a special request & it was ignored. Shame really as we stay in Glasgow often & really enjoy the city.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steven O
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The hotel room I was in had an ample bathroom but the sil was not clean. Lent on it to pick up towel and my hand was all dusty.

Breakfast in bed was great but the staff knocked a few times to see if we where in the room, this was annoying.

Overall enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a great value for money stay at this hotel, the only issue being the very poor state of the mattress in our room, my wife had to put 2 pillows into the middle of the bed to prevent her rolling into the middle, otherwise the room was ok, decor a bit dated, staff were very friendly and helpful at all times, we didnt have a comfy restful sleep but the location and price were fantastic value, Please sort out the mattress in room 201 in particular...
Mr B

Room Tip: Test the mattress as soon as you get into the room you are allocated.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple