“Smellie and poor value”

Ibis Glasgow City Centre
Ranked #47 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 8, 2010

We used this hotel because of its close proximity to Glasgow's West end where we were visiting for a gig. Have used this hotel a few times in the past and it was ok, on this occasion the room smelled awful, there seemed to be a problem with the plumbing and the toilet roll was stained like it had been wet. The all you can eat buffet breakfast was poor value and although the staff are freindly not a good advert for Glasgow as a place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seeusk

Reviewed February 26, 2010

Great location close to Charing Cross Station (nearest parking as well). Roosm are adequate, clean and staff are relatively helpful. No problems in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2010

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Glasgow.

Reviewed January 21, 2010

I had been there with my family and stayed there for 1 day. The hotel is reasonably priced. I also liked the staff and the way they welcomed us. The hospitality shown was exceptional.

They were very considerate and arranged for an early checkin

The hotel is well located and certainly worth the money you pay

Rooms are reasonably good and spacious

I would recommend others to stay in this hotel

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Glasgow and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2010

Hotel is in an excellent location particularly regarding access for the entertainment/arts area of the city. Staff were helpful and friendly and the continental breakfast included with the tariff quite varied, more than experienced in other hotels of a similar rating. The down side was that the room was small, the bed quite hard and the bathroom tiny. However it was very quiet for sleeping.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

Thanks for your review. I'm glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis Glasgow and I hope to see you on your next trip.

Reviewed December 3, 2009

A good value no-frills hotel with all the basics. The staff was friendly and helpful. We purchased the media package with the room, which was a much better deal than paying for the TV package and internet access separately. As we didn't have a car we had to rely on public transport and taxis to get around. If you're taking the airport bus from the airport, remember to get off at the first stop and not the George Street stop. Otherwise, it's a good 15-20 min uphill walk to the hotel. Yep, we discovered that the hard way...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Glasgow and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 3, 2009

We have just returned from 2 day stay from Birmingham trip. The hotel is magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible service before. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag ourselves away from the hotel to go to the theme parks at all., we couldn't wait to get back to the peace and tranquility of the hotel.
It was a nice play to stay with budget well within our reach
Restaurants are great.
We paid $100 per night for a room . There were 2 double beds so the four of us shared.
Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in on
Nearby surrounding was very good

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I stayed at the Ibis for 1 night with my Dad. I booked the room on the phone at the start of Nov and asked for a twin room as I was travelling with my Dad. The day before checking into the Ibis I personally went into reception and confirmed my booking.
However, on the day of check in I was informed I had a double room; I explained this wasn't an option as I was travelling with my Dad. I asked for a discount off the room and said my Dad would sleep on the sofa, and I was then informed there are no sofas in the rooms.

I had to really make my point that I needed a twin room, and then I was informed that actually there was a twin room available??? and that someone else would be put into the double room !!

At no point was there any apologises from the reception staff, and I was made to feel I was at fault.

Once we got the twin room, the room was clean, the soap dispenser in shower was empty, 1 bar of soap by the basin.

Location wise it's not ideal as it's a good 20 mins from Central station and there are no shops, bars etc near the Ibis.

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is the 2 guys who were working the bar on sat night going into sun morn, friendly guys who were happy to chat, organised a wake up call, and assisted me with my luggage when I checked out.

Would I stay here again??No, and not just because of the mix up with the booking, but because the location is not ideal, the rooms I stayed in was small. I've stayed in the Travel Lodge at Glasgow and the rooms are bigger and the rate on the internet is from £35 per night, were as Ibis is from £53 per night.

• Stayed: November 2009
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2012

Dear Sir

I am sorry we were so slow to rectify your room booking, this is an area we should work on for future guests. Thank you for adding your comments onto the site.