“Good inexpensive, central base”

Ibis Glasgow City Centre
Ranked #46 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
London,England
“Good inexpensive, central base”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Many will be familiar with the IBIS chain.

Glasgow check in/check out was speedy and efficient. Room was clean and comfortable. Hotel was quiet at night - weekend and weekdays.

Service was excellent. I rang reception about tea and within minutes the lady from reception supplied some tea bags, milk and sugar.

I liked the option of food at all hours on the premises but never ate in because I was so close to other options. It is a short walk from the rail stations. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
JaniceFisher, Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Tispete,

Many Thanks for the positive comments, I'm so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at ibis Glasgow City Centre. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Majdi Orifij
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
falkirk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Positives: Rooms are very clean, spacious and the shower is massive.Staff are very friendly. Good sized reception/lounge area.Excellent transport links (underground/taxi/bus) all close at hand and the heart of the city is easily walked in 15 minutes.

Negatives: Not a lot to be honest, bath towels could be larger but thats me being picky. Snack choice for the late night munchies could be better but other than that all good.

Onstreet parking (chargeable) is readily available.
Definitely one to check out for a last minute, no frills deal

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank harrygilfillan
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear harrygilfillan

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am glad you enjoyed the services we have to offer and do hope it won't be long before we see you again.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

My colleague and I booked a room each and we arrived early (12:00ish). I 'politely' asked "I appreciate it's abut early but please can we check in now? If the room is not available then we are happy to just leave our luggage." The lady was quite helpful and offered to check. Whilst she was checking I asked to have my room "away from the lift" (common sense for hoteliers to know this means quiet room). The lady kindly checked with her Supervisor Darren, who was more than dismissive and rejected without looking "your room is away from the lift, all rooms are pre-assigned and cannot be changed." (I worked in hotel industry for ten years and never knew assigned room cannot be changed!" My room wasn't ready but my colleague's room was so he got to check in early! (Nice one)

I came back after the conference to find I was given a connecting room! I asked to speak to Assistant General Manager who I saw a minute ago who then disappear and wasn't even bothered to call me back or arrange to speak to me.

Overall I think this is a hotel ran by amateur. The only helpful staff was the new girl who greeted me.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir

Thank you for adding your review of the hotel. I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate your requests as you had wished. We clearly did not handle that as well as we would have liked to. I will certainly pass on this feedback to the team involved.

I do hope it does not deter you from staying at Ibis hotels in the future.

New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

This was my 2nd stay in an Ibis hotel, and it was perfect for me as a solo traveler. I arrived by train, and the directions to the hotel were pretty simple if you Google map them. However, if you are going to walk from the Queen Street Station, it is better to take the Sauchiehall Street route - the rise in the terrain is less steep - especially if you are hauling baggage. It also allows you to see an area that you might want to explore later. There are plenty of shops and restaurants, and some sights leading off of this street.

When I got to the hotel, I was early, but the staff there (all the ones I came in contact with) are very friendly and helpful. When I indicated that I was going to go to the Botanic Gardens, the staff member gave me a map, and advised me of the best way to do so and also recommended an area near there where I could find a good place to eat. All the recommendations were spot on.

The room was fairly large and there was ample space for all my needs. The bathroom was spotless, the room itself was neat, clean, and quiet. TV was available as well as free wi-fi throughout the facility (and it worked just great). There were also fixings for coffee in the room as well. My window opened up to another building about 1/2 block away and if I opened the window, you could hear everyday street noise, but nothing significant. I was in room 530. Access to the elevators to get to the floors was controlled by your room card, so pretty safe overall.

Breakfast was not included in my rental, but I opted to have the breakfast for a fee while I was there. It was plentiful, good, and convenient.

The staff were all very helpful and friendly offering advice for the traveler as needed. The location of the hotel is a little distant from the center of town, but Glasgow is very walkable and there are lots of restaurants, shops, and things to see and do within walking distance.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Dear Steve

Thank you for taking the time to add your review of the hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the tips for other guests on accessing the hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

i stayed in the Ibis Glasgow Centre Hotel for 2 nights. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and Ingid who served me breakfast gets 200% and 10 gold stars. She was friendly , helpful and efficient. The hotel should be very proud of having her work for them. My room was really comfortable, clean and everything worked. Had a big bed all to myself and so comfy, slept like a log. Just what you need for a short break. Breakfast was great with a lot of choice. I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Jennifer G

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I will pass on your lovely comments to the team.

I do hope you return to glasgow again soon.

Falkirk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed for one night mid-week. The hotel is located in the north west corner of the business district in central Glasgow. It is just round the corner from the part of Sauchiehall street with lots of bars and eateries so is well located for a night out (although personally I perfer the merchant city area which is a bit more sophisticated). The shopping district (other end of Sauchiehall street & Buchanan street) is about 10min walk and you can also walk to the SECC/Hydro in about 15 mins. Check in was quick and we were given a room on the 5th floor. Some public areas of the hotel look pretty basic, but the room was clean and in good condition. The bathroom is a large "pod" in the corner of the room with a good shower and basic toiletries provided. The bed was confortable and we had a good sleep, although there was a lot of noise (vans, trash collection) from 5AM onwards - however we did leave the window open and probably wouldnt have noticed if the window was closed. We didnt try the breakfast, but there is a 24 hour bar and food service. Very good value for money if booked in advanced.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigLighty
Dear BigLighty

Thank you for taking the time to add your impressions of the hotel. I am glad this was favourable and do hope you plan on returning soon.

Braintree, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

We had two separate nights at the Ibis City Centre at either end of a tour. Though on different floors the rooms were identical. The room was a reasonable size, the bed comfortable, the window opened (with stays to stop it being opened more than a few inches) the air cooling system worked in both rooms, and it contained the usual hospitality tray, hairdryer, spare pillows and a few hangers in a small wardrobe. There was a long shelf for your bits and pieces and a full length mirror. The shower room was a "pod" but was a reasonable size and the shower was powerful and we didn't find that it wet the rest of the floor. They only provided one towel each though. We asked for extra milk and teabags on our first night and these were brought to our room pretty promptly. We had boy racers disturbing our sleep on the Thursday night. The reception was being refurbished, and the work seemed to be nearly finished. There was a comfortable seating area. When we returned from our tour the check in for 39 people was pretty prompt and efficient.
As another reviewer has said, this hotel was let down by the breakfast. It was unappetising, the scrambled egg was grey, they ran out of croissants, the cold meat on the Tuesday was just paper thin slices of "turkey". If staying here it is probably best just to book the room and get breakfast elsewhere - The Willow Tea Rooms are just a short walk away on Sauchiehall Street, and there must be other cafes around if you have time to look for them. There is certainly a Patiesserie Valerie and a Costa at Central Station.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the road - boy racers seem to be a feature of this area.